O/T: It's Amusing

Page 1 of 2
Sitting in a traffic jam recently, decided surf the AM radio dial.
Found a station carrying a discussion regarding a proposal to offer a tax incentive to people to turn in older gas guzzling vehicles toward the purchase of higher efficiency equipment.
It soon became clear that those discussing the idea were mocking the idea in every way possible.
I found it amusing to say the least since a few years ago, Union Oil here in SoCal had a program that involved buying junker cars to get them off the road and thus reduce air pollution and earn Union pollution tax credits.
It was cheaper to buy the junkers and use the pollution tax credits to offset refinery pollution taxes rather than buy and install the necessary refinery pollution control equipment.
Nothing new about the idea, been around a long time and it works.
Using taxation policy to influence private sector behavior is one of the basic functions of gov't, isn't it?
Lew
On Sat, 09 May 2009 02:22:58 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

For good or bad, proper or improper, it's certainly turned out that way.
However, IMO, the only proper use of the power to tax is to fund the necessary functions of government, not to penalize me if my idea of "what's good for me" is different from what professional politicians want me to believe.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

owed nothing on it for over 15 years. I thought about getting a new truck but I'd have to pay over 35,000 for what I have now. I don't care how much gas goes up I'm still ahead of the game. Its all about economics, RIGHT??? Screw the freakin Politicians and the Government.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
"evodawg" wrote:

To paraphrase Oliver W Holmes, Chief Justice, US Supreme Court, "Your right to do as you please stops about a quarter of an inch in front of my nose."
IOW, no, it's not all about economics.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'll give you a 1/4" but 1/2" is out of the question...

It is with me. The rest is just window dressing.
I always like this one: "People should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of its people" These freaks in Washington need to go!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
"evodawg" wrote:

Actually it addresses using tax policy to promote adopting ideas whose benefits are beneficial to all of society.
If you live in the city, you are connected to the sewer and pay for the service.
The first cost of a "slop jar" would be less but not total cost of ownership when health costs are included thus it has been directed by law you will use the sewer system.
The cost of a vehicle or any subsidies provided to promote the process is simply a tool to get the task completed.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Then you have to look at who's definition of "beneficial to all of society" you use, and who *really* benefits.
The people who complained about Bush and Big Oil seem to ignore Al Gore and Big Green.
--

-MIKE-

These freaks in Washington need to go!!
Well think about that reckless comment. ;!) Politician is the name we give a person in government that would otherwise be receiving welfare or unemployment checks. If they were not in government they wood still be receiving benefits and voting for more of their kind. It's a "catch 22" situation.
Leon wrote:

promising. I always enjoy it when Congress goes on Recess, nothing gets done, that to me is a good thing.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Leon wrote:

Somebody did a study recently and found - as far as intelligence and other attributes for success are concerned - that:
* The most intelligent become entrepreneurs, * Above average intelligent folks become politicians, * Average intelligent folks are your typical workers. * Many below average people work for the government.
I know it's hard to believe that most politicians are above average in intelligence. But, remember, they sometimes rely on advice from government workers.
An excellent example is the recent Air Force One photo shoot.

Over the years I have talked with and corresponded with a large number of politicians. If that particular group largely represents above average intelligence then I'm a fricken genius!
I have encountered far more highly intelligent people in the bureaucracy than in the elected ranks.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
My laptop knows me too well - it just announced "your battery is low!"
Tim Douglass wrote:

Here's another tangential tidbit of info which the class warfare engaging Left doesn't want you to know.
90 percent of millionaires in the US are first generation rich.
This means, it's not "old money." They didn't inherit their wealth. In other words, they started with little or nothing, and worked their a$$ off for it.
--

-MIKE-

I have often thought of you as a genius, and handsome too. LOL
On Sun, 10 May 2009 09:02:03 -0500, "Leon"

Ummmm......
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Disturbing huh? LOL.
On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:41:31 -0500, "Leon"

I've been more often accused of being disturbed than of being a handsome genius.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
My laptop knows me too well - it just announced "your battery is low!"

I know you were not pointing out their intelligence to be contrairy to my remarks, I don't beliece all polititions are stupid. You have to be a little above average in the smarts and deception department to land a cush job like that and literally acomplish/contrubute nothing beneficial, for years on end.

Leon wrote:
You have to be a

And to think they feel good about themselves

I'm not particularly interested in seeing a high degree of intelligence in our politicians, but I would dearly love to see some wisdom.
But, according to Albert Einstein, The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while. Haven't seen much evidence to dispute that quote.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
Tom Veatch wrote:

"I've been studying politics, man and boy, for over forty years. I have yet to discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools or by really intelligent people who are just putting us on." (Lawrence J. Peter - founder of "The Peter Principle).