O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

Page 2 of 3
I know where you are coming from and I agree with you. Had studs in '69 because I was going to the Bonhomme Carnival. Made a mistake when I hit the 401 and ended up in Florida. They do not like studs there.
We cannot use studs on our Ontario highways - except PQ. and it is this application to which I was referring. I know they are in use off-road and would sure appreciate them in winter. Not being able to use studs is what has kept me out of winter tires - plus we generally don't need them.
I mentioned Sweden because of the "James Bonder" that showed what studs on a lake can do. There isn't a Zamboni that could correct that abuse between periods.
P D Q

PDQ wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That is exactly what I was trying to say in a more subtle way. People acclimated to Dallas, either as natives or by previous experience realized that the answer to transportation on those occasional (once or twice a year on average) icy days was to transport oneself to the living room couch, fire up the fireplace, turn on the TV to watch the traffic entertainment, and wait for afternoon to come and melt the ice before we ventured out. The recent transplants were bound to show the rest of us that they knew how to drive in this kind of weather (the general weather pattern was a bit of snow on top of glaze ice) -- thus the reason for turning on the TV to get our education in winter driving by those soon-to-be experienced northern drivers who would be doing the same thing as the rest of us during the next year's ice/snowstorm.

<SNIP>

I learned my ice driving in an old beater in a gravel pit. No worry about hitting anyone or doing damage to the vehicle. Just bang it out, buy the boys a beer, and do some more 360's. and super snakes.
It really helped my winter ability but, nothing beats care and caution on the slippery stuff. \ P D Q
PDQ wrote:

> They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.

You can still have non studded snow tires studded for about $8.50 per tire (WalMart pricing).
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?catI5845
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Mark & Juanita wrote:

We got 5.5" of snow Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning, followed by freezing rain. Current forecasts call for anywhere from 6" to 9" (and up to 18" depending on the forecaster) between tomorrow morning and tomorrow afternoon.
I expect this weather to be a minor inconvenience.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Ah, for the days I lived in Albany, liked the snow (never loved it, AFAIC, skis and snowshoes belong to the Yukon and should stay there), knew how to drive in it, had the brains to use studs or chains on ice, and cold, sometimes down to -28F, wasn't a major hate.
That was about 32-36 years ago.
I far prefer central Virginia at my current age.

We visited a friend in Dallas a few years ago and he warned us to be careful driving in there, because the folks there didn't "drive well in the elements" He than said that "Air is an element"
Didn't seem much different from CA drivers, except in CA they usually have their turn signals on when they run you off the road..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

Yabbut, and in defense of Texans, many, if not most, of the urban dwellers in Texas these days are not from here (including me). :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Doesn't Lyle Lovett do a song called "That's Right, I'm Not From Texas"?

Nope, it's "That's Right, YOU'RE Not From Texas"! :)
... and, in a similar vein, there's Steve Fromholtz', "Come on Down To Texas .... For A While".
IOW, you're welcome to visit, but please don't stay.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Years ago, Washington State was home to a brewery (Olympia maybe) that was rumored to run an ad campaign something as follows:
"No need to come to Washington, just send the money, we'll send the beer."
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

And when Mt. St. Helens blew, they were saying, "Don't come to Washington, let Washington come to you."

I suppose I could call all you folks wimps.
But......, Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are experienceing our coldest weather in 18 years. And the snow is falling. It will be mass causulties on the roads tomorrow.
Most folks around here don't know how to drive in snowing/icey conditions either.
And this could go on for another week or so. No relief in sight. Now is a good time to hibernate.
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:11:31 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

...my eastern friends call me spoiled, but I'm not...I'm COLD! ;O) (...we *are* a bunch of wussies here, eh, Lew?).
cg
"Charlie Groh" wrote:

Actually, I claim the office of "Chief Candty Ass" as mine.
Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation IMHO.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Geez, I don't stop riding my motorcycle until there's snow on the road.
--John
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:28:50 +0000, J. Clarke wrote

so why do you stop then?
It's just too damn tiring to wrestle through snow, don'tya think? Every short trip feels like completing a (complete) Charles Atlas course, and you get in, sit on the couch and it takes half an hour for it to stop squirming from side to side and threatening to fall over. Have to drink strong espresso just 'cos compared with the adrenalin hit, it's quite calming.
We haven't had any real snow here for a while though..
Do I miss it?
well.....
Bored Borg wrote: [snip]

Weeeeeeeeell, in the past 3 days we have accumulated about 4 feet of snow here in the southern Californicate. My neighbors have snow blowers and I am really nice to them during the year. Sure enough one (who has barking dogs) cleared out the snowplow berm and I shoveled the rest.
Today, however, Maggy wanted her car out so I called one of the local contractor guys, Bob, who has serious snow removal equipment. Now Bob lives outside of town at the end of a 3.5 mile dirt road and is snowed in. Luckily he keeps his second front loader up here with good old Zack driving. Happily, the cabins across the street are generally empty so snow storage is less of a problem.
The sun is shining today with a relative humidity of maybe 30%. A day's worth of sun and other folk's tire chains usually clears the ice. Oh and shoveling is good exercise. I guess.     creakingly yours,     jo4hn
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:28:50 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:
.

I didn't even stop then back when I was young and stupid (stupider?). I still remember getting trapped in frozen street car tracks. The only way out was to stop and lift each wheel out of the groove :-).