O/T: It'a a Zoo Out There

Page 1 of 3
It's a zoo, traffic wise, in SoCal this afternoon.
It is 44F outside my window.
Snow level is down to 1,500 ft in the mountains.
Below that, heavy rain.
Highways out of SoCal, across the mountains are either closed or chains are req'd.
Very few people know how to drive in these conditions.
It has been described as being UGLY out there.
Ah yes, weather is relative.
This would be a typical afternoon winter time commute in NE Ohio, and that is one of the reasons I left, but we're are in SoCal and it just plain SUCKS.
Lew
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:11:31 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

It is a great pity when the Lotus Eaters must engage the Furies.
This Global Warming is a bitch.
tom
Regards,

There was a very light drizzle/fog here in Houston this morning and the freeways were stacked up due to a number of wrecks ... must be those Californian transplants, you reckon? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

I'm convinced that if you haven't lived in snow (sloppy weather) country, you probably don't know how to drive in it.
Reduced speed, increased assured clear distance, and 2nd gear seem to be concepts from a different world, not prudent driving techniques in bad weather.
BTW, the heavy rains are sure to bring the mud slides in the burn areas of last months fires.
Lew
Swingman wrote:

When we lived in Dallas it was the Northerners who "knew how to drive in snow" and were going to show us Texans (and experienced transplants) how to do it right that caused the greatest problems. Yeah, they knew how to drive in snow, on glaze ice? Not so much.

Not to burst your bubble but, the only way to drive assuredly on ice is with studded tires. They are not made any more except, maybe, in sweden.
There is, I believe, a new compound for tires that does cling on ice like regular tires on pavement. I also believe it to be experimental only.
Other than these I do not believe anyone can drive on ice - especially at near freezing point. One can only hang on and hope for the best.

P D Q
PDQ wrote:

Geez, did you even check before you said that? Current brands, in stock for immediate delivery include Firestone Winterforce, General Altimax Arctic, Goodyear Ultra Grip, and Pirelli Winter Carving, and that's just from one source.

Bridgestone Blizzak, Continental Winter Contact, Dunlop SP Winter, Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip, Michelin Alpin, and Pirelli Winter Snowsport are just a few brands. Work well enough but not as good as studs.

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

However, studded tires are (or at least have been) illegal in Texas. Tears up the roads.
... snip

See my response

Mark & Juanita wrote:

For looking at the manufacturers' web sites it looks like all of the above tires are non studded "snow tires" that can be studded for an additional fee.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

The tire dealer puts the studs in. Been that way for at least 30 years. The tires have holes in which the dealer inserts the studs.
--John

More than 30, I think. I got my first studded tires put on a new '66 Barracuda.

And do you remember the racket they made when driving on the tarmac? Always reminded me of the sound of a hailstorm.

They're murder on tarmac.
But you got to love those dirt-bikers with ice 'tires'. Spikes 1"+ long.
The kid next door, back in the late 60's took a stud in the leg when he was pushing hid dad's Ford out of their driveway and the spinning tire finally hit some pavement. Just a fleshwound, be he acted like he got shot.

General Altimax Arctic - Snow (General says ice but ??) Goodyear Ultra Grip - Snow (Goodyear says advanced stud pattern for ice) Pirelli Winter Carving - Snow (Pirelli says "studable)

Bridgestone Blizzak - Snow (There are zig-zag tire sipes on "Revo" to assist with ice grip) Continental Winter Contact - Snow (4X4 and SUV application) Dunlop SP Winter - Snow (only one to push ice without studs) Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip - Maybe (Not as good on ice as Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip Ice) Michelin Alpin - Snoew (Michelin very carefully avoids mentioning ice) Pirelli Winter Snowsport - Snow (performance version of Carving)

I still say One can only hang on and hope when one is on wet ice. Maybe one of these tires/tyres will help but, until one has sat through a really slow 360 with no hint it was coming and no capability of stopping it, one really never appreciates how difficult driving on ice is.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 04:38:49 +0000, PDQ wrote

Waltzing on a motorcycle. One of the least pleasant ways I've ever spent a half hour.. or at least it seemed like half an hour. Probably took less than two seconds but I had time to remember everybody I ever met and could have written each of them a letter..
Speaking of "no hint" a neighbour of mine was riding home early morning in '76, one of the hottest English summers on record. I remember friends had gone to Athens and it was hotter here than there, no rain, deep blue skies, office workers in shorts... He slid off his bike 'cos he hit a big patch of black ice. Dunno where the water came from. but around 4 am the temperature suddenly dropped (no cloud cover) and after weeks of high-speed tootling around on dry, grippy roads he expressed considerable surprise to suddenly find himself upside down , going sideways. The insurers assumed he was telling whoppas but he had a police report to back him up.

A quick Internet search reveals studded tires are still available, but there's several restrictions on using them. If I lived out in the country on a gravel road, I'd be considering them. (Or if I lived in Indiana and had interstate traveling to do. InDOT seems to be on a low salt diet.)

It's very much possible to drive on ice, but don't think you'll be able to drive on ice like dry pavement. After all, I doubt they stud the tires on the promotional car during a hockey game intermission.

An ice storm's supposed to come through tomorrow, leaving maybe 1/4-1/2" of ice behind. If it's thick enough, I'm going skating!
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
"Puckdropper" wrote:

My parents were both Hoosiers.
Back in the 50's my dad commented about how cheap the state of Indiana was when it came to roads.
Sounds like they still are.
Lew
<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Puckdropper, you live in Peoria, if I remember right? I have a son in college in Decatur -- I'm really, really glad he took my advice and came home for Christmas *today* instead of waiting until tomorrow like he was planning to do. He's almost 21 now, about at the age where Dad starts getting smart again. <g>
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in Puckdropper

That's right. It looks like today was the best day to travel this week. Between freezing rain/snow (never did get that off my driveway), the 2" of snow mix, and the ice storm tomorrow, today might be the only day travel was easy.
In case you guys need it, here's the road conditions for IL interstates. http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/wrc.htm
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
"Puckdropper" wrote:

Maybe you could work a deal with Aventine over in Pekin for some ethanol to run that stand by generator you are thinking about<G>.
Lew