O/T: IRS Rebate Check

Page 1 of 5
Enjoy
Lew ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How to use Your IRS Rebate check...
As you may have heard, each of us will be getting a tax rebate check to stimulate the economy.
If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China.
If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs. If we purchase a computer it will go to India.
If we purchase fruits and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.
If we purchase a good car it will go to Japan.
If we purchase useless stuff it will go to Taiwan and none of it will help the American economy.
We need to keep that money here in America.
The only way to kee p that money here at home is to spend it at
YARD SALES,
since those are the only businesses still in the US!

I can remember when WallyMart's advertsing touted their Made-In-America-ness (I know; that's not a REAL word).
Dave in Houston

It's very, very frequent here that replies to a post labeled OT: or O/T has that label stripped from it, starting another thread and defeating the filters of people who want to NOT read off topic posts.
Dave, why did that happen in your reply? Was it something you did, or is it something OE does?
http://improve-usenet.org /

I dunno; As is my custom, I hit the "REPLY GROUP" button assuming that the subject line would remain that which it was when I opened the post [to which I was responding]. Truth to tell, I never considered whether the post [to which I'm responding] was originally O/T or not. Good question, Dave. I'll surely pay more contention in the future. I have to get to the bottom of this!
Dave in Houston
"Dave Balderstone" wrote

My guess, and IIRC, in an RFC of yore, "delimiters" like "/", ":", "\" are used for encoded words in message headers and are probably not being parsed by OE.
(this may a rare case where MSFT actually follows an RFC instead of ignoring those parts that are inconvenient to their purpose?)
IOW and IIRC again, include the example "O/T", or "OT:" in the Subject header, under said RFC, the characters in parentheses wouldn't be displayed by the mail/news client.
... it's been a loooong while, however, so I may be all wet. :)
But ... the saving grace is the "reply" remains "threaded", which is much less aggravating than when someone starts a new thread with the same subject on purpose.
Just my tuppence/SWAG ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Sounds about right. Thanks.
http://improve-usenet.org /
Lew Hodgett wrote:

That's freakin depressing. But freakin true. But I'm getting more and more customers with money that want me to build them furniture. Guess they're tired of throwing furniture out on the curb and sending money to china.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Join the club... I don't think the UK makes anything much either (I work at a firm that *does* do electronics, but we're small).
I agree on the furniture - I've just inherited a load of furniture since my father passed away. Most of it needs serious refinishing, but I've kept it precisely because it is made of decent actual wood. Still better than that chipboard and MDF crap than most of the sheds sell.
I was in Australia last month and they seem to be doing rather better - they make a big thing of "Made in Oz". Apparently all your (USA) builders are disappearing over there due a glut of housebuilding and a shortage of workers.
BTW - at least you get an IRS rebate. Gordon the Fat Contoller and his trusty manservant Captain Darling are making damn sure they're keeping all my money. Bastards!
Cheers
Tim

I wonder if you are seeing a trend? I went to a low level Craft Show last weekend, Weather was HORRIBLE!!!! Cold, Rainy, Windy! Gate was supposed to be about 15000 but turned out to be about 500. All the vendors had to do was walk around and grip about sales. The crafts could be put into the following categories: High end crafts, midrange crafts, resale items, you can eat it, jewelry. I noticed that High end crafters made a profit, midrange went from making expenses to loss, jewelry was a loss, you can eat it did very well, resale didn't make enough to pay for gas to get home (show cost $150 and the best sales total from resale I heard of was $50). I have noticed this as other shows too. At a High Level show a few weeks ago the useable crafts such as furniture, pottery etc did well, decorations ( including jewelry) did from good to bad and food did from well to why am I here depending on whether it was for commercial sales or home use (Nearly everyone made expenses for the show about $700). The flea market nearby was dead with vendors willing to wheel and deal to make expenses (A couple of them I talked to in the smoking area didn't make booth fee ($100) and said it had been like that at other shows too). The customers seem to have cash, Credit card sales are down, and are willing to spend it but are getting more selective on what they buy and what the quality is. If it is a trend I would like to see it grow.
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:04:18 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but don't we in the USA get most of our crude oil from Canada, Mexico, South America, and west coast of Africa? I mean the cost of shipping oil all the way from Saudi Arabia makes it even more expensive. We get some from there, but I thought it was only when Africa oil distribution has been interrupted.
(the following is soap box comment, you may ignore it if you choose) And this way (Canada, Mexico, Africa) the big oil companies owned by Friends-of-Bush-and-Cheney can make all those huge profits but pay so little taxes. (moved off-shore to hide profits and avoid taxes.)

Why can we just drill offshore, plenty of oil in the ocean bottom? Why can we built more nuclear plants? Why we haven't built refineries for years? This political correctness is killing us.
I mean the cost of shipping oil all the way from Saudi Arabia

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:47:16 -0700, " Frank"

I hear ya'!
Copy exactly!

I dunno, ask Lew. Seems we folk don't know. I'm a Friend-of-Bush-and-Cheney and don't make huge profits, but pay pretty large taxes. Had to send an additional check to the IRS for $2300 (total tax was $11430). I look upon this as a 9% rebate. Maybe I should move off shore.
"Hank" wrote:

What would you like to ask me?
Lew

Don't remember. Was moving off shore.
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 07:36:38 -0500, Phil Again

ummm... No.

We get a lot of mid-east oil.

Canada is the largest single energy supplier to the US, but we ship you more natural gas than oil.
However, in 2006 we exported more crude than natural gas (in dollar value, not energy units). In '05 we exported $16 billion of crude and $32 billion of NG. In '07 it was $25B crude, $24B NG.
http://improve-usenet.org /
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:23:20 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Canada provides lots of oil to the US.
However, the Mid-East _region_ supplies more oil to the US than Canada: <http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_epc0_im0_mbbl_a.htm>

I'm sure the REST OF THE ENTIRE WORLD supplies more oil to the US than Canada.
Have a nice life.
http://improve-usenet.org /
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:44:48 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Dave,
I'm not picking on you. The Mid East region is quite different from the rest of the world, because the Mid East hates up.
Sorry if I fired you up.