O/T: I Vent My Spleen

Tonight I weep for the miner's families in West Virgina who have lost loved ones in this latest mine disaster.

According to reports, lots of major safety violations that were not corrected at this mine.

Due to the current political environment, that doesn't surprise me.

They don't call this place "West By God" for nothing.

Less than 2 million people inhabit this state.

Proud people live here, most trapped here by economics as well as a love of the place they call home.

Most are destined to work the mines.

There are few other jobs that will support a family.

I once called on the mines, both deep and strip.

Got as close as the entrance, which was close enough.

Don't think I would have had the guts to go down into the mine.

As far as strip mining is concerned, take a look at a typical drag line, say "Little Egypt" which has operated in SE Ohio for years.

What the strip mines have done to the once fertile lands of SE Ohio, is quite another matter.

When the news came in that all but one miner had perished, it brought back memories of times past.

From 1946-1950, We were returning to a peace time economy, Truman was president, John L Lewis was the bushy eyebrowed leader of the United Mine Workers, and reports of miners being trapped down in a mine were not uncommon.

Pennsylvania, West Virgina, Kentucky, Southern Illinois, the location made no difference, they all claimed miners.

The results were predictable. The miners bodies were recovered, seldom rescued.

People would then forget about the disaster, and put another shovel of coal on the fire.

During this period, coal was king. It was the energy source of choice.

Steam engines were still in service on the railroads.

Steam power was used to generate electricity as well as operate industrial plants.

During this time, my father was a boiler fireman. He shoveled a lot of coal.

John L Lewis would take the miners out on strike, Truman would employ the Taft-Hartley.

Sooner or later, a new contract was signed.

Meanwhile, the miners continued to be screwed.

Back then, the "Company Store" still flourished.

Under ground mining was and still is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet.

It is now almost 60 years later and not much seems to have changed.

When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn as the line from the protest song goes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good post, Lew. My father-in-law earned enough money right after WWII working in a coal mine to buy extra acreage for his farm. As soon as that was up and running, he left the mines forever. I've seen photographs and talked to miners, and you could not get me down in one with a shotgun.

I listened a couple days ago to some snotball female national news type state that most miners make around $700 a week, not much money. Obviously, she has never lived in Appalachia, but she also doesn't know a whole lot about working 60 and 65 hours a week in a hole a half mile underground, when the money becomes far better, and your family has a better life.

John L. Lewis. Oh, man. I hadn't thought of him in ages, though Truman had popped to mind recently, as happens when you start thinking about probity and courage in politics, something we have seen a severe shortage of for several decades, but are now finding totally lacking.

Reply to
Charles Self

I'm with you, Lew. We have no huge deep coal mines (to my knowledge) in Texas. However, in my years in construction I have talked to and worked with all manner of blue collar trades, coal mining being no exception. The guys I talked to seemed to have a sad, soulful understanding of the risks and what they faced, and due to lack of other opportunities many of their family members were in that industry.

The description of being inside a deep coal mine seemed like a descent into hell. No thanks. I would (and did) take decking apartments in

110 degree summer time heat over some gawdawful job like that.

I was horrified to see what happened to the families of those men. I don't care how the leak/announcement/overheard conversation/bad information or any other horseshit came about. I just cannot imagine hoping against all odds, then thinking you have been blessed by God, then have it all taken away again.

My heart goes out to all of those people.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I remember in the late 80's a mining accident near here, Hopkins county, The guys were working in a strip mine. Out in the open air. They were working near the high walls when the earth let go and fell in on them. There is no safe job in a coal mine. 6 guys died that day, all well known, all had families. The guys in the office keep pushing the pencils.

Tom in KY, often called the heart of the coalfield.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

I was about 7 when "Give'em Hell Harry" took office. Still one of my favorite presidents.

But I remember being really pissed off when Roosevelt died They interrupted "Terry and the Pirates" to announce his death!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Oh., horrors! Right up there with interrupting Jack Armstrong, All American Boy. I think you're older than I am, unless I've got my dates confused. I was 6 when Truman took office, I think. Or almost 6.

Reply to
Charles Self
[snipped for brevity]

The fat cats can't make any money without some good men taking chances with their lives in order to give their families a better life.

The cozy relationship between the fat cats and the MSHA 'inspectors' is a sham.

I have done a few things in my life which, in retrospect, I did because of 'pressure from above'. Allowing stuff like pounding steel wedges in the safety valves of a boiler in order to get the rated output from the generators.

Having the operators light 500MW boilers after half the required purge time.... because 'upstairs' wants to be on line in time and there ain't no union for shift supervisors...

In first year college, summer job, taking a 14-foot dinghy towing a floating fuel line (to supply fuel to a weather station in the Arctic) from the reel on the aft deck of a tanker in weather which was clearly too high risk...but the skipper wanted to be back in time for his bonus.

That summer in the Arctic...wow.. the sights.."it's just ice, Robbie..."

Peace out.

Reply to
Robatoy

BTW, I also remember sitting at the kitchen table with my parents listening to the first A-bomb test that was broadcast. Being a small boy, I was anticipating the world's largest "boom". I was really upset when all we got was some very loud static :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

For those of you who took a trip down memory lane remembering radio programs of your youth such as Jack Armstrong, The Green Hornet, Sgt Preston, Sky King, etc.

How many of you remember Capt'n Midnight or even better, how many of you still have your secret decoder ring?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's curious to think how very, very different the Wreck is going to be in the next 10 years or so. I had a LOT more of the regulars pegged probably 20 - 25 years younger than they really are.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Me too. Like that now-famous cartoon "On the net nobody knows you're a dog", age is sometimes very difficult to notice, especially in a timeless hobby like woodworking. It all comes down to this: you're only as old as the woman you feel.

Rob, since 1949

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm a '59, myself.

And a gentleman never discusses the woman he's feeling.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Good grief, a couple of rookies.

I attended my 50th high school class renunion this fall.

You do the math.

BTW, any discussion of women in my life is not for this list.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ya got me by a year. My memory doesn't pull that one up, which is probably a good thing.

Reply to
Charles Self

Mine's next year, because I dropped out in my senior year and had to go back and finish in '57.

Reply to
Charles Self

I'm a '39 and still a babe magnet. Sorry about the crayon but they ...

Reply to
jo4hn

I remember that one but don't remember the ring.

But my favorite radio show of all has to be any Jack Benny episode where he went down to his vault :-). What sound effects!

Somehow it didn't come off as well on TV - nothing left for your imagination.

On a related memory, my father worked as a linotype operator for a company that printed a lot of the comics. I got Captain Marvel, Superman, Looney Tunes, etc. as fast as they came off the press. For free! And I still remember my favorite that I read till it fell apart

- it was "Oswald Rabbit and the Great Easter Egg Hunt" = Ahh to be five years old again :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

These days, Prairie Home Companion is the only place to hear radio sound effects.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I was afraid to let anybody know how old I was for fear you would all turn on me for being the old dude. HA-HA-ha.

I have a 3 year old son. I've been in construction all of my life as my father was the type to take me to work with him, and actually make me WORK!!

I was born in 65. I think that puts me in a category with stoutman. Maybe a few years between us. 40, I wonder if I'm still a babe magnet? Nah, I'd know it if I was.

Tom in KY, favorite old TV shows; Our Gang (Spanky and Buckwheat, Darla and Alf-Alfa)and Looney Toons ( the original Bugs Bunny and Wyle E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, Porky and Petunia,,ESPECIALLY PETUNIA !!)

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

I was having a bout of insomnia. I came into my office, popped on the tube and saw the elation, the rejoicing...I got caught up in it...Way to go!! and all that...a really nice buzz...as I was peeking at the tube between drawings.. I may have said Hallelujah out loud... . . then the cold agony of realizing that nothing could have hurt those families more, in a worse way. . . . I felt sick to my stomach

Reply to
Robatoy