O/T; How Times Have Changed

Page 2 of 2
On 3/18/2010 11:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Got plenty of those, but for the online I couldn't find a slot on the laptop to stuff'em down the uVerse wire to the court house.

Yeppers, my work truck is an 01 Dodge that's getting long in the tooth, complete with a "40 year" USAA membership bumper sticker on the back window (woot woot!??).
Been a continuous member since 1968. It ain't the same company today as it was back then, but still top notch ... even do some banking with them these days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/18/2010 2:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

What, no "proof of insurance", or can you do that online also?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/18/10 10:00 AM, Swingman wrote:

Don't know what they accept there, but here in Ontario, Canada you just provide the name of the insurance company, and your policy number on line. Just read the warning about providing false information etc....fines, loss of license, jail time etc.
--
Froz...

Swingman wrote:

KS, like somebody else mentioned others, you give the info. The confirmation is not (yet) online but is verified and a summons for court appearance is issued quite quickly if it isn't in force.
An acquaintance had it bite when a check for the next year's premium hadn't arrived/yet been credited and the policy was in the 30-day grace period for a day or so when the confirmation check was done. He got off w/ no penalty imposed by the judge since was able to show coverage actually was in place although the system, being asked for coverage status of the policy to be renewed, gave back a "no" at the instant of the query. But, the online tag renewal was issued anyway, they caught up w/ the problem a day or two later and the timing just happened to be such that it got flagged.
Actually, now that I think of it, that's been a couple years ago; by now they may have it more near realtime but I'm not sure. What w/ state budget crunch anything that could be put in abeyance on spending has been so there's a good chance stuff like this is still on hold or never got actual appropriations released...
"Swingman" wrote:

-------------------------------- You are mailed a renewal notice that has a Renewal ID#.
It ties Insurance as well as bianual smog test info into the process.
Lew
On 3/18/2010 10:47 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Everything goes back to annual vehicle inspections here ... you can buy insurance without an inspection, but can't get an inspection without insurance.
Our "emission" tests are only done in a few, highly populated counties in Texas. In rural/less populated counties, an emissions test is not part of the annual vehicle inspection process.
That said, if your vehicle is registered in a county that requires the emissions test, you can no longer get your annual vehicle inspection in a county that does not require one. That's a fairly recent change.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hmmm . . . I'll have to keep that in mind. We keep a vehicle in another county [where we have a small house] but had no issues getting it inspected (was it last August or last October?). The tag renewal comes to the Houston address and we've make sure that State Farm knows the car does not live in Harris County. I'll have to put the "secretary" on it, it's hers to drive [anyway] so I'm free to take my truck out to the ranch.
Dave in Houston
On 3/18/2010 11:37 AM, Dave In Texas wrote:

Got bit by this twice last year (2009).
I was building in Elgin when my truck was due for inspection. Tried to get it inspected in Elgin (no emisssion test required in Bastrop county), and was told that it was not possible since the truck was registered in Harris county.
Had to drive 8 miles down 290 to Manor (Travis county) to get it inspected.
Now, Elgin is expanding and parts of it are in Travis county. What are they gonna do when an inspection station opens in the "expanded" part of Elgin?
The other time was with our youngest daughter, whose Subaru has Texas plates and is registered in Harris county.
She was in college in AR for five years and would drive down to Texarkana (actually, New Boston) for the yearly inspections.
Last year (March 2009), she made the trip and they refused to inspect it. She had to drive the car down to Houston months later with an expired inspection sticker, just waiting to get stopped the entire time.
(At one time in Texas, a State Trooper or local yokel would have understood and waved her on, but they are mostly too illiterate today to make a common sense call like that, so, being a law abiding type, it was a real concern to her.)
All the above notwithstanding, I do believe that you have an option to sign an affidavit and get an inspection, but once doing so, you apparently have to register your vehicle in a county that requires no emission test the next year ... might be worth checking out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

A far cry from things in CA just few years back. I have horrible memories of standing in line for ANYTHING at the CA DMV. An hour and a half --no exageration-- was not uncommon. I actually joined AAA just to be able to register from their offices rather than endure the wait, the lines, and the surely clerks that were the norm at CAs biggest bureaucratic nighmare.
nb

Likewise Indiana -- until a few years ago, if you had to wait *only* an hour and a half at any urban BMV, you counted yourself lucky. And the offices had no public restrooms, either. :-(
I remember about 8 years ago visiting the BMV to get plates for a car I'd just bought. Arrived about 11:30am, took a number. "Now Serving: #72". <check my ticket -- it's #168> Walked across the street to the public library, browsed for a while, checked out a couple of books, came back to the BMV... "Now Serving: #113" Walked over to Burger King, had lunch, came back to the BMV .. "Now Serving: #139" ... Sat down to read for a while... Finally got back to the office around 3pm. The actual transaction took only about ten minutes.
It's a lot better now, though.
On Mar 18, 11:17am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
om> wrote:

Doug, let me "add" to the IN BMV tales. Are the BMV offices still political "plums"? We lived there from late '60 to mid '74, and every time the state government changed parties, so did the staff at all the BMV offices! Now you had a whole new staff who didn't know their a** from their elbow,and you're their OJT guinea pig. Do you still have to show your property tax reciept in order to get your plates renewed? Now we all "know" that nobody circumvented that system, but seemed like there were always some BMV staff members who came home @ night with more money than they went to work with. Then there were the random investigations that exposed people driving around while their property taxes were unpaid.
Don'tcha just love big brother government?
Norm

Not any more. That stopped some time in the late 70s/early 80s IIRC.

I never did. OTOH, I didn't start driving until '75.

Latest problem is BMV employees taking money under the table in exchange for fraudulent driver's licenses or state ID cards, from people not legally entitled to have same [read: illegal immigrants].
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

*snip*
Did that once. Don't ever want to do it again. The vehicle registration room was a big waiting room (bigger than Illinois' whole facility!) and the whole thing took quite a while. Might as well plan your day around going to the BMV.
Illinois is really good about this. The whole process, new licenses and registration took about two hours for 3 people, and only involved waiting for a short time. Getting a new sticker is easy as can be. You can renew by mail (no trip to the DMV) or renew at the DMV. Renewal at the DMV is fast and easy, just show up with the form filled out and get your sticker. It takes more time to drive there and back then it does to get the new sticker.
Puckdropper