O/T; How Times Have Changed

Page 1 of 2
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.
California allows you to do this on line.
A few key strokes and you're done.
A far cry from when I was young back in Ohio.
Back then, the entire state had license plate renewal in March.
Temporary license registrars were set up all over the state (It was a political patronage job).
People would stand in lines for hours, especially as April 1 approached.
Standing in line was bad enough, but March in Ohio can have some nasty weather.
Back then, the auto manufacturers were no help.
Plastic inserts had not been developed to accept license plate screws so getting rusty bolts apart was a special problem, especially if the road crews had spread a lot of salt over the winter.
The above ranks right up there with walking to school in -20F weather and 20 mile/hr winds.
Glad things have changed.
Lew
(snip)

It's nice to know that paying our auto registration tax has been made easier than your early experiences in Ohio. When I was a youngster going to grade school, I had to walk 5 miles in the snow up hill both ways.
Joe G

It's nice to know that paying our auto registration tax has been made easier than your early experiences in Ohio. When I was a youngster going to grade school, I had to walk 5 miles in the snow up hill both ways. ___________________________________________________________
At least three times every winter I got sent out to do just that, only to discover the school was closed. In Ohio.

You had school? We had to find a smart person and follow them around.
On 3/18/2010 5:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We had to find a dumb dinosaur and wait for it to evolve.

Now that they've made it a joy to renew your license, they can make it a monthly experience.

Geepers Lew, I recall when I was a small boy, 6 years old or so, standing in line with my dad for those license plates once a year in Texas. But ever since I have been driving in Texas, 1970 ish you have been able to get license plates most any where and for several years, 10 + I have been reordering on line. Reordering on line is especially helpful if the renewal notice gets lost in the mail.
On 3/18/2010 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:

Just got my truck renewal notice, for April, this week. I've never tried doing it online in Texas (I understand it is "participating Counties only, and from what you say, Harris is one?).
How do you provide "proof of insurance"?
Told me what I gotta do, cher?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I do not to this every time because I wait till the lase minute. I don't always want to depend on the mail to deliver when it is getting down to the wire. But IIRC when on line you provde your agent's name, policy number, phone number. They apparently are able to quickly verify and mail you the sticker.
On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

Just did it ... all you do is provide the license plate number and the last four of the VIN, and Texas insurance is automatically verified.
I'd heard that there was a new online insurance database that the police could access by keying in a license plate number. This certainly verifies that.
Won't be long and there will be a database to make sure your homeowner's policy is paid ... after all, gotta protect the County's property tax base.
Good news is despite the $2 online fee, the total cost was, to the penny, exactly what it was last year when I renewed in person at Randalls.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/18/10 11:32 AM, Swingman wrote:

Here the notice in the mail already includes your VIN, make, model, year and colour of the vehicle.
--
Froz...

On 3/18/2010 10:43 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

It does to here also (except for color), but having an owner verify with the VIN, for an online transaction, makes some sense as a way to cross reference the validity of the transaction for a particular vehicle?
You can get a license plate number just driving down the street, but the VIN is a tad bit harder to scam ... otherwise, I dunno, this is my first rodeo in this regard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

They want the VIN to insure you are registering the correct vehicle in case you have more than one. Also to verify that you still own the vehicle. Believe it or not if you sell the vehicle the dealer or individual may not register under his name until he needs a new sticker, if then. It is always best to notify or verify that ownership has changed when you sell or trade a vehicle.
On 3/18/10 10:49 PM, Leon wrote:

the plates would all expire the same day anyways, your birthday.
Mine is coming up, got the notice yesterday, drivers license up, damn need a new picture taken for it this year, can't do it on line.
In the same envelope was my plate renewal, damn need an emission test, happy fsckin birthday from the Province of Ontario.
--
Froz...

Well that sounds handy.... I think. Our plates basically expire on the same month that the vehicle was registered in your name.
If "you" buy a new vehicle is the registration cost pro-rated to your birth date? And, if you are married and your wife buys a vehicle in her name does registration renew on your or her birthdate?
On 3/19/10 10:16 AM, Leon wrote:

the new car. My friendly neighbourhood GM dealer took care of the paperwork with the government. I can`t remember what happened the first time I bought a car, too long ago, fuzzy brain, but it has always been just a plate switch. I had one set of plates last through four cars, when they started rusting and looking like crap, on the next renewal, I took them off the car went in and swapped them for a new set.
If my wife buys a car, it would renew on her birthday.
--
Froz...

Good! And less hassle.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:32:09 -0500, the infamous Swingman

The Oregon Construction Contractor's Board just sent out statements to the fact that if your taxes aren't paid, you don't get your contractor's license renewed, and they said it in a very sweet way.
I just love the state of gov't finances right now, don't you? Despite that, Oregon gov't has grown by 37% in the past 4 years (2 budgets) With the Public Employee's Retirement System (PERS), you can retire and make more money then than you made on the payroll, as a working person. It's bankrupting us.
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:09:59 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Ask your insurance company for a proof card. It says "Swingy has insurance policy #xyz123, valid from Jan2010 thru June2010. Give him stickers for his plates, please."
I use USAA (a Texicus Corporation) and they send my cards every time I renew, and have for at least a decade. You're not running a goat-powered pickup bed cart, are you? You got a pick-em-up truck?
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin