O/T: Houston, You May Have A Problem

Page 1 of 2
Based on the weather reports, you folks keep your heads down and the rest of you out of harm's way.
Lew

Thanks Lew, but that little ole rain storm is 4-500 miles away.
"Leon" wrote:

Guess it only has 75MPH winds, just makes it as a "cane".
Expected to come ashore tomorrow morning.
Got your waders handy?<G>
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It looks like it's heading for Brownville.
That's 300 miles from Houston and 550 miles from me in Dallas.
I just hope we get some rain frome it.
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Don't worry about it. Right now everything has a roof, so we won't get much rain here in Houston until I have another foundation to pour, house half framed, or excavations to fill with water ... guaranteed!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

What I found astounding, was that one of the news networks already reported 'likely' storm damage at 3.6 billion BEFORE the storm even made landfall. They must be sucking those numbers out of their asses. Oh, wait... it could have come from a source who wasn't authorised to comment.
"Robatoy" wrote

Count your blessings ... with a hurricane in the Gulf, the price of oil didn't go up another 50% overnight, maybe.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
Swingman wrote:

We're hoping it keeps up enough steam heading west to eventually swing up the panhandle and give as a chance...
Not that we're hoping ya'll get drowned, but we're more interested in the longer term prospects up thisaway... :)
At least a couple of the longterm models are projecting it just might so hope they're right...

Hate to "rain" on your parade but the latest forecast model I saw puts in moving almost directly west from the Brownsville area and even turning slightly west-southwest.
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

The farther west it gets before the steering westerlies take over from the Pacific coast the better our chances become...it's always a long shot, but once in a while...
The DDC 2AM "behind the scenes" discussion didn't mention the scenario this morning, though. :(
dpb wrote:

But as of 2PM today, the following update...

Hooboy, surely hope it does pan out...

My sister in Olathe would probably be pissed that all her new grassseed would wash away.
Robatoy wrote:

They're 400 miles away back there and out here we're, frankly, not concerned... :)
It's been quite unusual year up this way -- from US 283 and east they're either wet or drowning; west and we're burning up. We're on the verge of desperate, but right here we've had several local showers just a few miles away haven't so we're in good shape compared to many. Much of Cimarron County, OK, hasn't had an inch or two all year.

Robatoy wrote: ...

There ya' go! 30-40%!!! _NOW_ we're talking! :)
Of course, this year has been one where even the 70-80% numbers haven't panned out for us more often than not... :(
In the "rich get richer" scenario, central and east got rain yet again last night; local summer baseball team is in El Dorado and they got rained out for second night in a row...

Or as put by Dr. "Scare'em into a panic" Neil Frank puts it, the storm is turning "right". Idiot!. A compass heading would be more accurate.
"Leon" wrote

That is because they haven't figured out how to politicalize a compass yet.

Crews were being hauled in 2 days ago. The fact that oil prices are still lower than they were in the beginning of June further proves that there is not a supply problem. Oil prices are simply a "What the market will bare" situation versus the commonly misused term "supply and demand".

What I found astounding, was that one of the news networks already reported 'likely' storm damage at 3.6 billion BEFORE the storm even made landfall. They must be sucking those numbers out of their asses. Oh, wait... it could have come from a source who wasn't authorised to comment.
This is no longer astounding, it is expected commentary from an uneducated group of reporters. Normally warnings are not issued until a particular event has already happened. Tornado warnings are not issued until evidence is seen that there is actually a tornado. A tornado "watch" is issued if one is likely and until one is spotted. The same used to go for Hurricanes but not on this storm. I don't recall there being a hurricane watch issued however the hurricane warnings were issued 3 days ago, long before there was an actual hurricane.
You just don't get the sensationalism mileage from telling the truth and reporting the "facts".
"Leon" wrote

That's because it's not "reporting the facts", it's "distorting" the "facts" ... whether there are any, or not.
<Bunch of damn cynic's, aren't we ... and is there any wonder why?>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08