O/T: Houston, You have a Problem

Based on the weather reports coming in, a dinghy salesman could make a fortune in Houston today.
Hope you guys are able to stay dry.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

... Good luck; I think they're all still tied up in the Wichita area after yesterday/day before...

A thriving market for them around here. Most of the wheat/milo/bean fields around me look more like rice paddies. But due to ditching improvements prior to paving the road past my place, scheduled for next year, my access didn't get washed out - for the first time in years.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
"Tom Veatch" wrote:

Funny story on me.
Was driving I-70 west thru Kansas and seeing what appeared to be "stunted corn" growing in the corners of the fields that the irrigation didn't reach.
Stopped for gas and asked about the "stunted corn".
Attendant responded, you talking about the milo?
They grow that for cattlefeed.
DUH!
I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense after we left the gas station.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

LOL... :)
And, "ayup"... :)
It's a good dryland crop; our primary fall cash grain crop on all our dryland acres in SW KS. There have all sorts of other crops tried and claimed they're going to supplant it, but when all else is over after some number of years most end up going back to it.

Well it is/was pretty bad in spots but it has been much much worse. Some spots got around 10" almost exactly 8 years ago some spots got 35".
Of course the local idiot "on the sceaners" focus on the bad spots and my favorite "on the sceaner" whom I mentioned in an earlier post, stopped her news van, side doors open in the only feeder street lane with out water, and her standing out from the van to show the high water. The cars were lined up behind her and the van, single file, and having to drive out in the water to get around her. Actually they all began honking at her as they passed her. The anchor asked her if the cars were honking at her and she said YES! DOH!
"Leon" wrote

-----------------
They must hate her guts.

This morning the same "on the scener" went back to a bayou IIRC and was pointing out a stick that she used to mark the high water level. She said this morning look how much the water has gone down since yesterday, See the stick? It is the one pointing in the "air".

Since this is OT, could I get a volunteer "spotter" in Houston to do a drive-by for me?
I do/did the web page for Arne's, a party supply place in Houston.. They got hit pretty hard with IKE and have been saying for months that they'll be open "very soon".. Really appreciate a drive-by if anyone's in the area..
ARNES Wholesale & Warehouse Store is located off Interstate 10 and Studemont. Go 2 blocks south of I-10 to Hicks Street and make a left. Look for the large ARNE'S sign on your left hand side.
As usual, any help appreciated...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Their answering machine says their "temporary" office hours are 8:30 to 4:30. There's some ambiguity here, I can't tell if the hours are temporary or the office is.
I'd be glad to check it out for you, but it must be fifteen years since I've been in that part of town - the area is populated principally light manufacturing and small industrial concerns. You can do a Google Street View to see the neighborhood.
Nice "boogie 'til you drop" web site, though.

If you go there you might as well go and visit Clark's Hardwood Lumber. They have a great selection in several warehouses and are little more than a hop, skip, and a jump away. http://www.clarkshardwoodlumberco.com/map.php

Yeah, that's what I get... I guess the office is open but not the store yet.. I'm not even sure from their emails whether the office is still IN the store..

Thanks, I think.. lol watz "boogie 'til you drop"??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

"we boogied in the kitchen, we boogied in the hall, I got some on my fingers, so I wiped it on the wall."
-Chuck Berry, "Reelin' and Rockin" (IIRC)

Yep, I know that part, John.. Just not sure how that relates to a web site.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Just a little musical interlude for your early morning dining and dancing pleasure. :-)     the King of Rock 'n Roll,     jo4hn