O/T: Ho Hum

Page 2 of 5
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Wasn't meant to be. It turned out that way, though, as the governor was trying to defend his selection of a black man for a state job in a state that didn't recognize Martin Luther King's birthday.
"HeyBub" wrote:

Too bad, seems the war is still being fought in some places, almost 150 years later.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

In my state, we call it "The Recent Unplesantness" or "Our Second War of Independence," depending on the context.
That said, what's Martin Luther King's birthday got to do with the Civil War?

As long as special treatment is provided to ethnic/cultural groups, as long as labeling of "African American", "Mexican American", "Asian American", etc., continues to define individuals and groups, as long as these individuals or groups are allowed their own organizations which apportions other groups (Miss Black America, All black colleges, etc.,), the end of segregation will NEVER transpire.
"HeyBub" wrote:

You appear to be a bright lad.
You don't really need a road map for the obvious, do you?
Think about it for a while.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, I've wrinkled my brow for several minutes now and all I can come up with is the canard that the war was about slavery. Slaves were black, Dr. King was black, QED. In only three more iterations, we'd get to Kevin Bacon (unless, of course, we get detoured to Idi Amin Dada). Of course all thinking, rational, people realize that slavery was a complete fiction used to stir up the Northerners.
The real reason behind the War of Norther Aggression was money. Cotton, at that time, accounted for about 70% of the nation's exports. Without money flowing in to the South for the purchase of their cotton, the South couldn't buy the sub-standard manufactured goods supplied by the North. Without that money, the northeners couldn't pay wages and would have to resort to slaves.
Giving credit where credit is due, however, the war material produced in the North was sufficient to prevail.
"HeyBub" wrote: <snip the IBS>
IBS: Intellectual Bull Shit
Come on now, you can do better than try to get IBS to stick on the wall.
Lew

That wouldn't help your teenage daughter, Tom. I find Letterman damned near as creepy as I found MJ, but pounding on either one, while satisfactory, would result in a jail term for what amounts to taking out the garbage. Not worth it.

earlier. Are you gonna go out and beat up Jay Leno now too? Palin getting up there and acting like she is the ultimate american family with out fashioned values is a target that almost anybody will respond too. You expect comedians to not take a shot?
And like it or not, they both get up and tell jokes every week night. Attaching enormous significance to one joke is unhealthy. Comedy ain't pretty. There are comics I can't stand. You know what I do when I find a comic insulting/boring/whatever?
I pick up the remote and either change the channel or turn the TV off. And if I do this successfuly, there is no blood involved.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yep. Some get satisfaction in life from merely changing channels.
Me? I turn to religion.
Let us pray:
"... Help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it -- for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen."
"HeyBub" wrote:

May a depraved camel invade your yard.
Lew

You could at least give credit to the author: Mark Twain.
Larry Blanchard wrote:

There have been few wars in history that were waged for moral purposes. Oh, that's the reason given for many (i.e. the Crusades), but most wars have, at the core, been fought for economic motives.
You have a good point about free trade vs excessive tariffs. The South was opposed to tariffs because nobody was trying to import cotton! Conversely, cheaper manufactured goods from, say, England, were attractive to southern importers (and equally hateful to northern industry).
I'll dispute "lots... opposed to slavery." There were many in the Abolitionist movement, true, but they were more of a nusiance rabble than an effective political force and even within the movement, schisms developed regarding female sufferage and other peripheral issues. Remember, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamations (Sept 1, 1862) came significantly after hostilities commenced in April 1861. Further, the Emancipation Proclamation did not apply to slave holdings in the non-secession states.
Interestingly, the Emancipation Proclamation specifically excluded Texas. I'm told that parts of the Piney Woods in east Texas still cling to the old ways...
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, that's when she ruins it for me.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Lew Hodgett wrote:

To become a full-time mousse and poller bare hunter?

(shakes head, walks away)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Maybe she's been "hiking the Appalachian Trail," if you know what I mean.
"Elrond Hubbard" wrote:

Duh?
Lew

I had the same question & decided to look it up:
from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail#In_popular_culture
"In 2009, the phrase "hiking the Appalachian Trail" began to be used as a euphemism for having sex or having an affair, after South Carolina governor Mark Sanford's aides claimed he was on the Trail when he was actually having an affair abroad."
Ain't Jimbo's big bag of trivia wunnerful?
Luigi
Elrond Hubbard wrote:

Ha! I can see the headlines now, "Palin Pregnant with Michael Jackson's child!" That should get her enough press to get elected to the Senate at the very least.