O/T: Gotta Love It

Page 2 of 8

I still like the idea of jammin' the jammer up the jammer's ass.
*breaking into Marley's song* Jamminajamminajamminajammin
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 27, 12:43 pm, "Lee Michaels"

Totally agreed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

My instructor stated it this way...."never underestimate your opponent." The true martial artist is skilled at avoiding a fight but always prepared if the avoidance is itself unavoidable.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/27/2009 1:08 PM, Neil Brooks wrote:

Who are you to decide that ANY driver operating a cellphone is impaired to the point that of it being a DUI? Some drivers can deal with the multitasking WAY better than others. I can handle it just fine, thank you very much; my mirrors, my turn signals, the road, and the world around me continue to get my undivided attention, while the person on the other end of the phone gets what's left. However, some (most?) people can't even drive correctly when they're carrying on a normal conversation with a passenger sitting next to them, so how do you propose that we handle that? Should we "scientifically" block all interaction with a driver that *might* "impair" them? Unless the activity is *actually* impairing their ability and causing them to commit infractions, why should there be any reason to interfere with their activities? And why should *you* be the one to decide? This should be the domain of law enforcement, not vigilantes. Besides, how do you know that cellphone conversation you're jamming isn't somebody with a serious situation on their hands?
βœ–
"Steve Turner" wrote:

Many states including California have outlawed the use of cell phones while driving.
More will follow.
As someone who has made a living for many years by effectively communicating with others, I find it impossible to effectively communicate while trying to multitask
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A recent change, or did you leave an important fact out?
It is "handheld" use that was prohibited by CA law. Motorists 18 and over may use a “hands-free" device.

That "more will follow" is why I own a bluetooth headset and use it in the car ... and for the very reason that sensible law was enacted.
AAMOF, my city, West University Place, TX, is one of the first municipalities to ban all cell phone use in school zones and texting while driving.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Doesn't seem to make any difference witness the fact that Maria got a cell phone ticket.

You are kidding yourself if you think you can hold a meaningful conversation while driving and not sacrifice the amount of attention required for safe driving.

In the SFWIW category, back in the mid '60s, The City Of Brooklyn, OH, a burb of Cleveland, was the first city to enact seat belt legislation requiring that they be worn while driving in Brooklyn.
Thirty years later, Brooklyn was again the first city in the USA to ban the use of Cell phones while driving in Brooklyn.
Don't know about now, but back then, Brooklyn was a very well run city and a neat place to live.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You brought the CA law in to this, dude ... are you telling me that the great state of CA would pass a law based on incomplete/faulty research??
Do tell ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Merely stated that CA had enacted cell phone legislation, and that they had some company since they weren't the only state with legislation on their respective books.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
They outlawed them to be in the hands and yakin on them.
How about automatic answer in radios and headsets ?
They should also outlaw newspaper reading, makeup on face, making love, etc.
A cell phone might be the only link to a loved one dying or needing help right now.
I think wildcat cell phone killing can be cause for serious charges by those who got cut off or blanked out.
Martin [ who was saved due to a cell phone in his pocket in the shop]
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

I welcome new regulation on what we can and cannot do, enforced by all levels of government. The sooner we become like the UK, or Vancouver, the better.
Welcome to our Bureaucrat Overlords! Stop me from thinking or having to accept responsibility for my actions! Make ME a victim TOO!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Balderstone wrote:

No kidding ... our forefathers came here _specifically_ so we wouldn't end up like Europe.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Luckily, a Great Deal has changed since then.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:37:07 -0800 (PST), Neil Brooks

Or unluckily, a New Deal.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Actually, ours didn't. AND they burned down your White House.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yep, the British did indeed ... wars are like that, win a few, lose a few. But damn, were they happy to see us when it really counted in 1917 and 1941.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Agreed. Just as long as they got in there eventually and did their best, the rest is just poking with a sharp stick.
Despite the barbs and the arguments, I for one am glad that Canada is as closely tied to the US as it is. I can envision a lot of other locations that Canada could be placed other than North America and not one of them appeals to me.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

You won't hear any argument on that count from me ... I'm a big fan of both Canada and England, with relatives in both countries, and, AAMOF, fought side by side with a Canadian outfit in RVN ... they were in my fire support fan for 7 months and I called in artillery fire for them almost daily.
I don't understand why Dave would go off on that tangent ... but we all do strange things on a Sunday after Christmas ... maybe the eggnog, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

A question for you Canucks ... I always wondered about these guys ... there was a small group of them (Canadians) serving as advisers (US) to a Montangard tribe in the Central Highlands and were reportedly indians themselves. Although I heard them daily on the radio, I actually ran across a couple of them in Dalat when the ARVN Ranger outfit I was with occupied a firebase there for a few weeks. Besides decidedly Candian accented English, they spoke Quebecois French, similar to what I heard as a kid and what my Dad spoke natively. Since Dalat had been under French rule for some time, and French was as prevalent as Vietnamese in that region, I figured that was why they were in the area.
Where and what kind of Canadian indians would be serving in the US Army during that time?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Best guess from me would be volunteers. I have heard of a number of instances where Canadian natives volunteered for US service since Canada was not actively involved in a war or 'police' action.
Add pictures here
βœ–