O/T: Good Grief Gertrude

A week ago today there was a brush fire in Pales Verdes (L/A burb) which was extinguished with minimal damage.

Just announced another fire has broken out in Pales Verdes.

This time the "Super Scoopers" from Quebec are on the job.

(2 planes, 1,400 gallons/plane)

Since the ocean is near, this one should not take long.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hopefully, the scoopers won't scoop a recreational snorkler along the way....

Reply to
Robatoy

-------------------------------------------- Hopefully, the scoopers won't scoop a recreational snorkler along the way....

Surfer maybe, definitely not snorkling area.

Might pick up a shark though, they are in those waters.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not likely but there's a first time for everything.

Reply to
CW

Anybody else seen "Always"? John Goodman and Richard Dreyfus flying water bombers? Audrey Hepburn's last movie before she died? Starts out with a couple of guys on a lake fishing . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I suspect they only dump fresh water, not salt water.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You would suspect wrong.

They were definitely were filling up in the Pacific which is less than a mile away as the crow flies.

Probably scrub down upon return to airport.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah but! with salt water wouldn't there be a lot of ecological damage to the plants and trees, all that salt? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

As a human (or plant) I would much prefer a little salt to an all consuming FIRE!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I never cook anything without at least a little salt....

Reply to
Robatoy

Mayor Nichols tried that line for not using salt to clear the roads this winter. Didn't want to hurt the salmon by flushing salt in to Puget Sound. Mayor Whoosie didn't even finish the primary last month.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Seasoning.

Reply to
Nova

Sounds like Denver's Mayor Pena a number of years ago. His claim to infamy was declaring that rather than clearing the streets using snowplows, Denver city services would just use the garbage trucks to pack down the snow so people could drive on top of it.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Environmental impact study anyone? By the time EPA finished the review, there wouldn't be a California left.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Mark,

Ever been to NYC in the winter? All the city garbage trucks have plows on them.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

I've seen cases, when I lived in Vermont, where that's all that could be done with it. Too cold for salt, too fast to plow. We drove on about a foot of packed snow for a couple of weeks. It really isn't difficult driving on packed snow, until it starts thawing. ;-)

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, the village on LI where we lived for 18 years was rather cheap and wouldn't really do anything except at the intersections. One year we had weekly snowstorms (Wednesdays), and the snow compacted into several inches of ice, which was quite treacherous for wheeled and foot traffic.

Reply to
Han

IIRC that was the problem. In the climate of Denver, snow doesn't stick around all winter, but it can freeze and thaw continuously. Basically made the roads near unpassable with icy ruts throughout. This happened as I finished school and had just moved away, so I don't recall how long this fiasco lasted, but it wasn't long.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

... snip

Thankfully no.

There was no intent to equip Denver's garbage trucks with plows, just to proceed on the principle that the trucks were heavy enough to pack the snow and provide a path for other vehicle traffic. This was part of Pena's approach to saving money on structural services so he could use the money for his pet social services.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hey, it was a good enough plan to land him a job as Secretary of Transportation under Clinton.

Reply to
HeyBub