O/T: Good Grief Gertrude

A week ago today there was a brush fire in Pales Verdes (L/A burb) which was extinguished with minimal damage.
Just announced another fire has broken out in Pales Verdes.
This time the "Super Scoopers" from Quebec are on the job.
(2 planes, 1,400 gallons/plane)
Since the ocean is near, this one should not take long.
Lew

Hopefully, the scoopers won't scoop a recreational snorkler along the way....
"Robatoy" wrote: -------------------------------------------- Hopefully, the scoopers won't scoop a recreational snorkler along the way.... -------------------------------------------
Surfer maybe, definitely not snorkling area.
Might pick up a shark though, they are in those waters.
Lew
Hopefully, the scoopers won't scoop a recreational snorkler along the way....
Not likely but there's a first time for everything.
CW wrote:

Anybody else seen "Always"? John Goodman and Richard Dreyfus flying water bombers? Audrey Hepburn's last movie before she died? Starts out with a couple of guys on a lake fishing . . .

I suspect they only dump fresh water, not salt water.
scott
"Scott Lurndal" wrote:

You would suspect wrong<G>.
They were definitely were filling up in the Pacific which is less than a mile away as the crow flies.
Probably scrub down upon return to airport.
Lew

Yeah but! with salt water wouldn't there be a lot of ecological damage to the plants and trees, all that salt? ;~)

As a human (or plant) I would much prefer a little salt to an all consuming FIRE!

I never cook anything without at least a little salt....
Mayor Nichols tried that line for not using salt to clear the roads this winter. Didn't want to hurt the salmon by flushing salt in to Puget Sound. Mayor Whoosie didn't even finish the primary last month.
Mike M

Mike M wrote:

Sounds like Denver's Mayor Pena a number of years ago. His claim to infamy was declaring that rather than clearing the streets using snowplows, Denver city services would just use the garbage trucks to pack down the snow so people could drive on top of it.

Rob Leatham

Mark,
Ever been to NYC in the winter? All the city garbage trucks have plows on them.
Norm
Nahmie wrote:

Thankfully no.

There was no intent to equip Denver's garbage trucks with plows, just to proceed on the principle that the trucks were heavy enough to pack the snow and provide a path for other vehicle traffic. This was part of Pena's approach to saving money on structural services so he could use the money for his pet social services.

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Hey, it was a good enough plan to land him a job as Secretary of Transportation under Clinton.
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 21:17:05 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I've seen cases, when I lived in Vermont, where that's all that could be done with it. Too cold for salt, too fast to plow. We drove on about a foot of packed snow for a couple of weeks. It really isn't difficult driving on packed snow, until it starts thawing. ;-)

wouldn't really do anything except at the intersections. One year we had weekly snowstorms (Wednesdays), and the snow compacted into several inches of ice, which was quite treacherous for wheeled and foot traffic.
--
Best regards
Han
krw wrote:

IIRC that was the problem. In the climate of Denver, snow doesn't stick around all winter, but it can freeze and thaw continuously. Basically made the roads near unpassable with icy ruts throughout. This happened as I finished school and had just moved away, so I don't recall how long this fiasco lasted, but it wasn't long.

Rob Leatham
Leon wrote:

Seasoning.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Environmental impact study anyone? By the time EPA finished the review, there wouldn't be a California left.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA