O/T George Carlin

Page 2 of 3
mac davis wrote:

Remember having to spend about 3 months in Fresno on a semi large job. The one thing I will never forget, a Security Guard at every entrance to almost every retail business. Now why would you need one at a restaurants? The other thing I noticed was a large number of Illegal Aliens and a very dirty city. I now commonly refer to Fresno as the armpit of California along with Santa Ana.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

IIRC, Fresno is the chart topper in California for car theft and right up there for speed labs. That plus the agricultural smog and the heat....
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:31:54 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

I think it's also like #2 or 3 in the US for red light runners and related fatalities..
I sure feel safer here!
Also, most of my big tools are in an open carport, and I haven't lost as much as a screwdriver in 2 years.. In Fresno, the TS and all the other stuff would be gone an a few hours..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yep.. we actually lived in Clovis, near Fresno.. and we avoided Fresno whenever possible..
The illegal's are mostly hired by ag folks, which doesn't help the economy but might be a necessary evil..
We had to jump through a LOT of hoops to move here, for sure..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music"
Funny guy. I saw him live in '91 at Old Dominion University. He will be missed.
--
Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com

That was one very creative and funny man. When he turned over rocks, he'd see the funny shit. A true genius IMHO. I went to see him every chance I had, and living between Detroit and Toronto, that was often. One show at Hamilton Place still stands out. He walked on, stood there for a moment and said: "How the fuck are you doing?" The house came down! A standing O, and he hadn't started yet. Sad that he's gone. Sadder yet, is that he's remembered by 'The Seven Words' which was far from his funniest moments. Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway..

And Gallagher, if you can separate the brilliant mind from the idiot that smashes watermelons.. (and got very well paid to do that)
My kids grew up on his earlier videos, especially the ones where he talked about the English language..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@davisbajasplinters.com wrote: paid to do that)

Those were my favorites. I especially enjoyed the one about the airline people telling you to get on the plane: "F**k that! I'm getting IN the plane with you people in uniforms. Let Evel Knievel get ON the plane!"
"Robatoy" wrote:

A lot of people are unaware that "Tim Conway" is actually" "Tom Conway" from Chagrin Falls, a small town about 30 miles SE of Cleveland, OH.
When he came to SoCal, "Tom Conway", the actor, was already here, thus the name change.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

And quite a lot more probably really don't care... :)

That was one very creative and funny man. When he turned over rocks, he'd see the funny shit. A true genius IMHO. I went to see him every chance I had, and living between Detroit and Toronto, that was often. One show at Hamilton Place still stands out. He walked on, stood there for a moment and said: "How the fuck are you doing?" The house came down! A standing O, and he hadn't started yet. Sad that he's gone. Sadder yet, is that he's remembered by 'The Seven Words' which was far from his funniest moments. Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway..
George will indeed be missed. I grew up listening to George and Bill Cosby among others.
If you really want to hear some outrageous comedy, tune in when Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters are on the same stage.

Outrageous barely touches that combo. Winters being an absolute genius.
"jo4hn" wrote

piss.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

fuck.
At the age of 20, in about the middle of an "altered state of consciousness", while on a Munchies Run to the nearby 7-11, I encountered a very old man I'd gotten to know playing frisbee. The fact that a guy who'd survived, and apparently enjoyed, his100 years so far (he carried an old expired drivers license to verify his age), played frisbee with a bunch of college students made him a fixture in the neighborhood.
Anyway, he was having trouble distinguishing between the buttermilk and regular milk cartons (non-fat, low fat, reduced fat, 2% and "Vitamin D Enriched" hadn't been invented yet - AND 7-11s carried buttermilk back then). He asked me to pick out the buttermilk for him, which I did.
"Thanks. You're a good kid." - he said, then leaned in and said in a conspiratorial voice - "I'm gonna tell you something you won't understand at your age."
I waited for Words of Widsom, an significant insight from a man who no doubt had seen and done a lot of things in a hundred years.
"Life is absurd you know?" he said looking me right in the eye - just a hint of a smile on his face.
Given the perceived experiences of my past few hours I whispered in his ear "I know." and smiled back at him.
He held me at arms length, hands on my shoulders, and studied my face and looked in my eyes for what seemed like hours. Then he stepped back, milk carton in hand, smiled again and said "You know, I think maybe you do." and walked out of the store.
And soon after The Draft, and A JOB, and a wife, and a son, and a parent's death, and . . ., the things of Adulthood shoved that little bit of insight WAY to the back burner.
But Carlin somehow managed avoid "When I was a child I played with toys, but then I became a man and I put away my childish things."
He saw the absurdity in many of the things we do and allow to be done TO us, and, with humor, reminded us of just how absurd (so clearly unreasonable as to be laughable or ridiculous) life is.
Jon Stewart - here's the torch. Try not to burn yourself - out.
R.I.P. George - ya done good.
charlie b
ps. the old man's secret of longevity 1. a shot of decent to very good bourbon a day 2. avoid marriage ; )

Stewart is GREAT!
But I like Colbert better... <G>
.

He can wish! Stewart isn't even in the same league as Carlin. Colbert wore really thin, really quickly. Stewart and Colbert totally lack that 'eye' for the funny. Don't get me wrong, I do get my chuckles from those guys as they hit on the easy marks and obvious, like Hillary's pantsuits. Even Letterman and Leno have the odd good one...
My kind of comedian, is one that finds funny stuff where there isn't any. Old Cosby was like that. Pryor in his prime. Steve Martin even had 'it' for a little while. Steven Wright still does. Some say funny things, some say things funny. Some encompass both. Carlin said funny stuff in a funny way. A rare combo. Richard Jeni had 'it' as well. One guy who cracks me up is Gary Valentine. At least his stand-up routine does. I haven't seen his TV show, so I can't comment on his ability to carry a sit-com. Totally un-funny people include Bob Hope, Joan Rivers , Phyllis Diller, Whoopi Goldberg etc.
Carlin was hilarious in spite of his rude choice of words. He used them like a fluorescent paint on a timid canvas. A form of punctuation.
It is just starting to sink in that there will never be any more off- the-wall observations about anything from him... ever again.
<<My kind of comedian, is one that finds funny stuff where there isn't any. Old Cosby was like that. Pryor in his prime. Steve Martin even had 'it' for a little while. Steven Wright still does. Some say funny things, some say things funny. Some encompass both. Carlin said funny stuff in a funny way. A rare combo. Richard Jeni had 'it' as well.>>
I put Robin Williams in that category, too. And Seinfeld. And I guess you either like him or hate him, but I think Bill Maher also has "it." Robert Klein once had it, but he may have lost it.
The funniest live performance I ever saw was Jeni.
<<Totally un-funny people include Bob Hope, Joan Rivers , Phyllis Diller, Whoopi Goldberg etc.>>
What? No Jerry Lewis? Sometimes I think even Carrot Top is funnier than him.
The bottom line is Carlin was as good as it gets. He'll be missed.
Lee

_________________________________

Today's comedians make their bones by making fun of people. When certain comedians attack certain politicians, the war whoops start up in the audience they go into overdrive.
As long as they attack someone up the food chain, like an unknown comedienne attacking a stupid starlit for showing her box in public, they are funny. You are not funny if you attack someone that is less fortunate unless you are going for he "irreverant" or "no boundaries" audience. Not nearly as successful.
Some of the people the make fun of might deserve it, but the comedians that get the most mileage are the ones that cut the deepest against different <people> or ethnic groups like Chris Rock, etc.
Most of today's are one note sambas, not the least bit clever, in turn being not the least bit funny. They write only about certain subjects in particular about their families, their drug problems, or politicians and that is the depth of their writing skills. Many of today's comics don't even write their own material. You KNEW when you were listening to Carlin. Who else could be funny about "stuff"?
Carlin was different. He was a click off of living in our dimension, and questioned everything in a sly way. He knocked me over with his routine that started "do you ever wonder what your dog REALLY does when you aren't there? Think about it... why is he always so happy... what was he doing? How many times can he patrol the yard?"
It was his delivery.
His was an observational humor, perfected and imitated by almost comediennes at least some time (if not all the time) in their career. That guy pioneered dropping a line, and pausing just enough time for us to catch up.

Never been a better, more clever presenter of simple human foibles or idiosyncrasies and most likely never will be.
Robert

For my money, two (2) of the funniest guys working today are Larry, the cable guy, and Jeff Foxworthy.
Their stuff is not malicious, but it is funny, at least to me.
Lew