O/T George Carlin

Page 1 of 3
It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed in his hand tonight.
He was a very funny guy.
His was the kind of humor that made you think.
Understand he had a history of heart trouble.
His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.
Lew

Yup, the old white robed reaper of the 70's and 80's claims another. I remember when he thought his heart attack from his abuses was so funny that he worked it into his act. When the second one came along, it was a life style changer.
And so it is with a good friend of mine. He had a lot more fun than he should have from the sixties until about the late 80s when he had his kid. THAT changed his life on the spot.
But he can't undo what he did for so long. He has had a couple of minor strokes, but luckily as of now they can control his problems with pills.
He sure has a lot of funny stories, though.
Robert
In article <4a94e6fa-717a-4290-8a9a-87fd51741756@

He worked #2 into his act anyway -- "I now lead Richard Pryor 2-1 in the Comedians Heart Attack Sweepstakes. Of course, Richard leads me 1-0 in Setting Yourself on Fire. See, what happened was, first Richard had a heart attack. Then I had a heart attack. Then Richard set himself on fire. And I said, f*ck that, I'm having another heart attack."
Doug Miller wrote:

I remember that one!! He in my book was one of the top 10 funniest of all time comic's. I like this one "Why do you Park on a Driveway and Drive on a Parkway"? Making fun of the English Language was his specialty.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

to nightclubs?"
"Why do they put an expiration date on sour cream? What's it gonna do -- go fresh?"
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:01:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

The drivers... You, the faster maniacs and slower morons! <G>

I thought that was a Gallagher line... Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

Here in L/A, it is quite common to have a 1st generation immigrant operating a retail shoe store, with a sign high up on a pole, out front reading:
"Shoe on sale".
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I guess you pay full price for the other one, huh???
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Yeah, Lew, but...a few years ago, I passed a greenhouse that has been in the same family at least four generations, and saw a sign that said, "Plants 4 Sail".
Made me think I was on-line for a second.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:51:58 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

We have a local restaurant who proudly proclaims "We Delivery"!

Printed, as an item, on a menu in a Queen Street restaurant in Toronto:
Peeking Duck
That one always quacked me up...

Printed, as an item, on a menu in a Queen Street restaurant in Toronto:
Peeking Duck
That one always quacked me up... ********
Is that like a voyeuristic duck?

I always thought that the duck would be peeking at you from behind a ball of mashed potatoes..

I understood his humor so well that I just assumed that I was as crazy as he was..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
This is a question for Mac: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How is security in your part of Baja?
Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.
Drug wars will do that.
Lew

It's pretty much like Brownsville, IMO, created by and for gringos looking for a "good time".. ( dos pesos? She gets the pesos, you get the dose) In most of the border towns, trouble is easy to find and if you're in the wrong place, it will find you.. Especially if you look like a "rich" gringo... For most people, other than service folks on weekend passes and kids on spring break, you'd never be in one of those "wrong places"
I'm in San Felipe, about 120 miles south of the California border.. As far as living here, security is fine, though I'm not sure we need it.. We're in a huge development that has several gates off of the main highway, and pretty good security folks on them 24/7..
We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel safer in San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..
Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the local paper listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings, etc. a day..
Last week in San Felipe, 4 guys robbed the Baja version of a 7-11 and yesterday's paper had the whole front page filled with the story and pictures of the bad guys, police chief, etc.. It was big news.. I heard that there was a bank robbery in town, but that was years before we got here..
The snow bird season is over here as the heat and humidity set in, but they've been selling wristbands and stuff for months for the 4th of July weekend.. We usually get several hundred kids down for that, as well as Spring break.. Lots of tickets written for minor stuff that kids do anywhere but I've never heard anything about a kidnapping, serious injury or anything like that..
Sorry for the long post.. Must have been that 3rd cup of coffee..
Come on down, it's wonderful here!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

These days, it is a ghost town.

So be it, but today it qualifies as a "killing field", much the same as any US slum with a drug problem and a turf war.

That's been SOP for ever, but things have escaluated to include car jacking and kidnapping.

Sounds like you are pretty well insulated from the rest of Mexico.

Same kind of reports of local violence show up on TV news reports here in L/A, but now they are starting to include the drug wars in Mexico since there is a large Latino population in SoCal.
Travel warnings are being issued to leave before dark, travel in groups, etc.
It's a shame these turf wars, fueled by US drug money, are having such a harmful effect, but until Mexican gov't can get a handle on things, Mexican tourism is going to continue to suffer.
Looks like you are in pretty good shape.
Lew

Yeah, Baja is almost like it's own country... I don't know a lot about the mainland, but a lot of bad things happen there and people tend to lump Baja in with "Mexico".. Sort of thinking that the US sucks because of one bad city..

They don't put up with as much here.. (my area of Baja) You can tell when it's a drug bust, because instead of cops, the officers are agents wearing ski masks and carrying heavy weapons.. They busted one idiot that was wanted on the mainland and registered as a driver in the Baja 500..DUH..

I haven't heard of anyone that had any problems, but I'm on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja.. We try not to travel the highway after dark, but that's more of a safety issue.. A lot of vehicles here don't have lights and there are a LOT of very slow drivers..

the line of headlights coming into town.. Lots of cars coming for the weekend..
We're sort of unique here because along with all the visitors from the States, this is a major vacation spot for the Mexican people living in more urban area like Mexicali..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote:

As long as the drug cartels don't want to have a turf war over your part of Baja, things should be quiet.

Been getting reports of Mexican gov't drug enforcement leaders being executed with automatic weapons fire, including entering the house and killing all in it.

Can relate.

There is safety in numbers, or so I'm told.
Lew