O/T: From Another List

Page 2 of 2
-MIKE- wrote:

Nice idea but the crew is in full pressure suits.
--John
-MIKE- wrote:

David G. Nagel wrote:

Does one really have to add smiley's in this group?
--

-MIKE-

The music sucked. WTF was that about? Celine Dion selling farking lip balm? That Yanni/KennyG/Tesh crap turns my stomach. Doing that to a mini doc on a magnificent piece of war machinery is a bit too 'propaganda-ish' for my tastes. How about some on-board camera stuff? Some REAL sound? Eddie Van Halen's pounding in the background?
Anyway, as my old friends will tell you, I had a virtual shrine of SR-71 stuff. I almost wet my shorts when I saw it for real. That SR-71 moniker spelled Might and Tech... just awesome. This presentation of it? Not so much. Some people should not be allowed to play with Adobe Flash, wear Crocs or have those Bluetooth cellphone ear-pieces. That crap has no business being anywhere near a Blackbird.
Only 93 pilots, eh? What I wouldn't do to come back in time and be one of them...
But thank you anyway, Lew. I hadn't thought about that bird for a while.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 05:54:32 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I don't see how that can possibly be right. The writer had a four year billet. That would seem to me to be about right for any pilot. The a/c was in service for 24 years. Had to have been more pilots than that.
I worked several of them over the years. Had one and a U2 on the frequency at the same time once. They always reported their altitude as "above FL600" (Flight Level 600 or 60,000 feet). They were going to be close, and it was almost impossible to turn an SR71, even if they would take the turn (because of their mission). The U2 was more normal in that regard, but I asked each their specific altitude (which they would give as an encoded phrase). I could have gone to the watch supervisor and gotten the actual altitude from a decoder ring we had, but I just asked them if that was sufficient separation for them, and they agreed it was.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I'm pretty sure they weren't all in service, all the time, for the whole 24 years.

My Dad built those planes.
-Zz

thanks Lew
CC
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thank-you for that.
A magnificent airplane. Have read Ben Johnson's book (he was Kelly Johnson's successor) -- he designed the engine inlets for the SR-71. The dedication and effort of the engineers and designers was inspired and inspirational -- they knew the security of the nation was at stake and they gave it their all.