O/T: From Another List

Page 1 of 2  
Enjoy
Lew

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Shame on you. Innocent people were killed.
Tim w
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim W wrote:

The SR-71's only weapon was a camera and its only defense was speed, so who exactly is it supposed to have killed?
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim W wrote:

Tim you are an idiot.
The only thing the SR-71 killed were a lot of dinosaurs....
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Your idiocy knows no bounds.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I wonder how many lives it saved.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Okay I will explain it to you.
Click on the link and you will see an account of involvement in the bombing of Tripoli. The text says "Terrorist camps in Libya" but that is a lie.The USAF bombed targets in the centre of the city of Tripoli with the inevitable innocent civilian casualties. The refuelling had to be done out by Gibralter because no civilised country would allow the USAF to fly over their territory. The US government perceived that The Libyan Government had committed a crime and therefore that gave them the right to bomb a city. It was a shameful incident and shameful that such lies should be posted here.
Tim W
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:42:21 GMT, "Tim W"

[blah, blah, blah snipped]
Still waiting for the explanation of how the SR-71 (which both the clip and the OP was about) killed anyone anywhere.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you believe that, then why shame on Lew? Post more details the first time around and you'll have fewer people calling you an idiot. I won't be one of the fewer, however. I don't believe terrorists will stop their actions because we ask them nicely. I stand by my previous assessment. jc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim W wrote:

No you won't, you'll just spout propaganda you happen to believe.

Because you say so. Still, it's strange that the UN would impose sanctions on Libya for sponsoring terrorism for no reason isn't it? It's also odd that Libya eventually coughed up a billion and a half dollars in reperations for the families of those who died in Libyan sponsored terror attacks though, isn't it? And it's very bizarre that Libya eventually accepted responsibility for the actions of its officials in relation to the bombing of Pan Am 103, isn't it?

So by your logic when the allies bombed railyards, factories, military bases etc. in or near cities in Germany and Japan in WWII, that should not have been done because of the risk to civilians.

Blatantly false, the USAF aircraft involved in the attack flew from Britain.

Your one-sided outrage is predictable.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DGDevin wrote:

Given that the target in Tripoli was the Azizyah Barracks, assessed to be the Command and Control Center for Libyan-sponsored terrorism, doesn't seem like much of a lie.

Don't be surprised if the OP agrees that this is his opinion.

Well, the no civilized country was specifically -- France. Because of France's refusal to help, one FB-111 and crew were lost because of being unable to refuel over France.

Given that a single target was identified in Tripoli, calling that "bombing a city" is a bit bombastic and engaged in more than a little hyperbole.
In reality, this was one of the shining examples of why taking attacks to the countries that sponsor terrorism is a good idea. This attack kept Kaddafhi from expanding his support of terrorism and led to his later agreement for nuclear and chemical disarmament. After seeing more week-kneed responses from our congress-critters in the past few years, he has once again become more bellicose. When he thought we might bomb his @$$ again, he was quite well contained and non-beligerent.

Yep. Get ready for lots more of this in the coming years.
--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

As I recall, there were two targets, the barracks, and Kaddafhi's house, which sustained minor damage. Probably to say, "We know where you are"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rick Samuel wrote:

Five. Unfortunately some non-targets including several embassies were hit.
Google "eldorado canyon" and you'll find numerous discussions of the operation.
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
J. Clarke wrote:

The reference I looked at only identified the barracks, although I also knew that his house was hit. However, the point was, even with 5 targets, that hardly rises to the accusation of "bombing a city" which raises the WWII memories of firebombing actual city-size areas.

--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DGDevin wrote:

The RAF Bomber Command carpet bombed the cities of Germany during the entire WWII. Dresden was fire bombed with the loss of tens of thousands of German civilians in a single night. The USAAF B29's bombed the cities of Japan using fire bombs. In early March 1945 Tokyo was fire bombed and suffered over 80,000 civilian casualties. By comparison Hiroshima only suffered 60,000 more or less. The tragic situation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was that it was necessary at all. The alternative, though, was the loss of over 1,000,000 Japanese and American lives if the invasion of Japan had gone ahead. The difference between the March mission and the August mission was hundreds of B29's in March and only 3 in August, only one of which was armed. Enola Gay.

He's right here. France, Spain and Germany closed their air space to USAF bombers for the duration of the mission. The attacking aircraft from England had to fly over the Atlantic then through the Gibraltar Strait into the Med. for their attack.

Like Saddam, Kadaffee conducted a propagands campaign against the US that implied more than what was reality. However, no one knew the accurate situation at the time. Hind sight is usually 20/20.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David G. Nagel wrote:

Actually both the British and American air forces first made sustained efforts to use precision bombing to hit strategic targets. The not only found it difficult to do but sustained heavy casualties in the process. The British eventually came to the conclusion that if they couldn't kill a German factory worker standing at his lathe making weapons then it was just as good to kill him sleeping in his bed if the net effect was to reduce military production. Brutal? Yes, but that's war, and in this case it wasn't Britain and America who started it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Tim W wrote:

Which bombs did the SR-71 drop?
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

They had to empty the latrine at some point.
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

At those speeds, the emptying of the latrine could have looked like a shooting star to someone on the ground. To make a wish to that.. would be something very special.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

They could slow down to almost a stall, say..... 400mph. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.