O.T. from Afganistan

Page 1 of 6
this is from my nephew in Air Force. john take out the TRASH to email me
From Afghanistan, the story of the week:
So we are up in the mountains at about 0100 hrs looking for a bad guy that we thought was in the area. Here are ten of us, pitch black, crystal clear night, about 25 degrees. We know there are bad guys in the area, a few shots have been fired but no big deal. We decide that we need air cover and the only thing in the area is a solo B-1 bomber. He flies around at about 20,000 feet and tells us there is nothing in the area. He then asks if we would like a low level show of force. Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes. The controller who is attached to the team then is heard talking to the pilot. Pilot asks if we want it subsonic or supersonic. Very stupid question. Pilot advises he is twenty miles out and stand by. The controller gets us all sitting down in a line and points out the proper location. You have to picture this. Pitch black, ten killers sitting down, dead quiet and overlooking this 30 mile long valley. All of a sudden, way out (below our level) you see a set of four 200' white flames coming at us. The controller says, "Ah-guys-you might want to plug your ears". Faster than you can think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the head with a hammer". He then stands it straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears. Cost of gas for that: Probably $50,000
Hearing damage: For certain Bunch of ragheads thinking twice about shooting at us: Priceless
SWEET!!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
That was worth it whatever the cost...

This must be part of the mis-guided battle to win the hearts and minds of the local population.
mp writes:

Oh, man. All it really takes is a handful of their goolies to win their hearts and minds. After that, a gentle tug does it all.
And given the chances of someone shooting at me from the dark, I'd be compeltely happy if their hearts and minds were right with their bodies, cowering in a ditch thinking the world was coming to an end.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
Was shooting the breeze with a couple of my crew in a local watering hole one night when a guy came over and asked "are you in B 52s?"
Waiting for the flying antique remarks, we admitted we were.
"I was at Khe Sanh, and I just wanted to tell you Arc Light guys how much I appreciate what you did. No noise until impact, and then dirt flying everywhere. After that they'd come out with blood running from their ears and their hands up."
BTW, fuel flow for that pass was perhaps enough to cost one-tenth of what the piece said.

I don't recall this being the reason that we are in Afghanistan. What local population, mountain goats?
snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net says...

no, no All those friendly yokels who were shooting at those eeevil invaders. it seems mp is one of those who would have preferred the rolling over and soiling ourselves response to the attacks of 9/11 and the refusal of the Taliban to eliminate its support of the terrorists and their camps.

You're making the assumption that the Taliban in the end refused to hand over Bin Laden, and that if they did, that would have prevented the invasion. Even if the Taliban cooperated 100% with US demands, it's very unlikely that would have made any difference to an aggressive administration hell-bent on war. The bit about the Taliban supporting terrorists was just an excuse used to justify military aggression. If you believed that then you probably also believed the administration's lies that Iraq possessed WMD's and a million pounds of chemical and biological agents which would soon be unleashed along the eastern seaboard.
The Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11 and neither did Iraq. If you want to discuss countries that fund and support terrorism, you need to look at Saudi Arabia first and foremost.
You and I will never know what the truth was behind 9/11 as the key players in the White House, Pentagon, CIA, and FBI refuse to testify in front of the commission of inquiry and have stonewalled it pretty much ever step of the way.

No "assumption" there -- it's a matter of historical *fact*. President Bush demanded that they hand over the terrorists, and the Taliban explicitly and publicly refused, referring to them as "guests in our country".

Speaking of assumptions...

Hellooooooo! Earth calling mp! Iraq *admitted* having WMDs. Where have you been??

For once, you and I agree on something. For years, I've been telling anyone who will listen that the Saudis are *not* our friends. Business associates, yes. Friends and allies, not even close.

Bush
and
Yes, they initially rejected US demands, but at the last minute they were willing to roll over.

you
WMD's
be
Yes, Iraq did have some biological and chemical agents, courtesy mostly of the Reagan administration, and also the Brits, Germans, and maybe France. But that was a long time ago, and most of the remaining stocks were destroyed shortly after the first Gulf war. As far as nuclear weapons as concerned, which are the only ones that really fall into the category of WMD's, Iraq never had any.
When Bush, Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rice, and the rest of the gang were talking about Iraq possessing WMD's and the "iminent threat" from Iraq, they weren't referring to the mid 80's and early 90's. They were talking about the present.

Saudi
anyone
associates,
Imagine that, we agree on something.

False. They never agreed to the US demands to turn over bin Laden and the rest of the al Qaida terrorists. Never.

Assumptions again. "We haven't found them yet" is not the same as "they never had them."

See above.

of
never
If any remnants of the mid 80's stock of chemical and biological agents are ever found, they will be next to useless as they have a very short shelf life, perhaps a year or two of activity at the most. Multiple rounds of weapons inspectors since about '92 to present have not turned up any further evidence of the earlier stockpile of biological or chemical agents, nor of any resources either in raw materials or production equipment that would allow the Iraqi's to resume production.
As far as nuclear weapons are concerned, Iraq didn't even have a reactor. Any suggestion that they could produce nuclear weaponry and were close to it is laughable at best. It's true that "We haven't found them yet", but lets be realistic.
The only countries who have WMD's in the middle east are Israel (with 100-200 nuclear warheads), Pakistan and India (who might have 6-10 nuclear warheads each). If WMD's are indeed a reason to attack and invade a country, those are the ones you should be going after. Maybe North Korea too, just for fun. That'll never happen though. Once a country has nuclear capability they're pretty much safe from US military aggression. One can see why some of these smaller, more vulnerable nations want to arm themselves with nuclear weapons.
Bush and Co. stated specifically where the WMDs were located and quantities thereof.
Now, perhaps our vaunted technology and intelligence assets are so bad that we didn't track them after finding them, when they were (theoretically) moved from those locations, or....
Renata
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:11:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

--snip--
"Renata"

...Saddam wanted everyone to believe he had them. He was working towards that goal, problem is he was getting more bull than product. Most of Bush's opponents voted to go for it when shown the same data so the noise is politically driven.

The last I heard about this before we began bombing their AA sites was that they would be willing to turn him over under a number of conditons regarding how he might be charged and tried.
That's not rolling over and if you heard anything closer to rolling over then pleas let me know where.

There is no question that Al Qaeda was mostly run from Afghanistan.

Clearly the Bush Administration knew that too. Just consider how long it was before any Americans were sent to any of the sites where Iraq supposedly was building nuclear weapons and stockpiling materials.

s/talking/lying/
The Taliban put themselves between us and Al Qaeda.

Some factions within the Saudi Royal family are pro-American. Others are not and most of the population is not.
--

FF

from
I hate to split hairs here and actually cite facts, but ever since the start of the sabre rattling towards Iraq, the administration referred to their WMD programs. The programs that are (were until a couple months ago) in place to develop these weapons. Saddam talked about his programs and admitted they were real. The only question was how far along they have gotten. Let's not forget all of the defiance that Saddam is guilty of. He is guilty of ignoring resolution after resolution from the UN. It is his own fault. There has never been a military operation in history that has given as much advanced warning and opportunity for avoidance. I take it from your other posts you would prefer that we wait until they have nukes and then go in and do something about it. The president was very clear on the fact the we had to act before this threat turned into a smoking gun. The smoking gun would be the result of a WMD being used. What is so hard to remember about this? It just happened.
Frank

start
WMD
This is a fact? Iraq had zero nuclear capability, nor the means to develop any. The bit about buying yellowcake from Niger and trying to import aluminum tubes for enriching Uranium is just more propaganda and faked evidence.

So did Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Powell, Blair, etc., though everyone (both the US and Iraq) knew it wasn't true. The only difference is that Saddam and his top brass didn't deny their existance as a deterrent against invasion, and the US used them to justify an invasion.

guilty
Speaking defiance, I think Israel takes the title for ignoring UN resolutions, and they have more WMD's than anyone else in the area.

Really.
much
It's doubtful there ever was any opportunity for avoidance. The invasion was going to take place regardless of what Saddam said or did.

and
You'd be waiting a very long time. They weren't anywhere near being able to produce nuclear weapons.

I believe that quote is atributeable to Rice. Regardless, whoever said it was lying, as has been proven over and over these past few months.

You must be referring to the million pounds of chemical and biological agents that Bush said Iraq was in possesion of, and that Rumsfeld said they knew where it was, in and around the area near Tikrit. As it turns out, they were both lying through their teeth.

Conjecture on your part. Probably correct, but conjecture nonetheless. "It hasn't been found" is not the same as "it doesn't exist". Remember that as of Oct '03, Saddam Hussein had not been found, but obviously he does exist.

False.

False again. Do you get your news anywhere other than tabloids?

I don't get any new from tabloids, but thanks for asking.
As for my statement, even the Whitehouse is now admitting that the yellowcake "evidence" was faked, and the aluminum tubes that Iraq was trying to source could not be used in the process of enriching uranium. In fact, I hear that Bush was so concerned about "faulty" intelligence that he recently appointed a commission to find out why he lied about WMD's.