O.T. freebee from Gates

Page 1 of 2
Just in case some of you are computer nerds like myself as well microsoft is supplying the service pack 2 for XP on cd free of charge. You can order it here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Rick
RKG wrote:

You must be new around here. Nerds indeed. As for SP2, load it at your own peril. A lot of the commercial programs won't run after you install it. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

My two machines went flawlessly. They were previously current on patches. However, I don't run much more than the Office suite, 'net apps, photo painting, and financial apps at home. Zone Alarm and Norton AV even cooperated nicely.
Barry
I put it on 3 different computers last week and between the 3 computers probably 100 well known and not well known programs. Absolutely no problems.
Leon wrote:

IBM was the first to refuse to put it on their systems, DoD security warned against it. YMMV Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Bernie Hunt wrote:

In big shops unless there is an urgent need nothing, including bugfixes, gets rolled out until it's been tested against the standard software loadout for that shop. On my own machines I install Microsoft's updates as soon as they are released, however to get work done I use Linux and Novell so if the Microsoft machines die it's no big deal.

--
--John
dave in Fairfax wrote:

Did mine as part of the free Windows update service, no problems at all. Grandpa
Yes relatively new been lurking for about a year with the odd comment, and only been woodworking for about 2 years since I retired. Small town I am in does not have high speed internet and like the security update cd they came out with earlier this year it's handy to have the stuff on cd and not have to re download every time you rebuild your computer.
Like anything from microsloth you use at your own risk back everything up before you install it. Some people have had no problem at all and for others it's a major headache.
Rick

microsoft is

it
Thanks for the link. I downloaded it on this machine but didn't save the download and need to install it on a couple of others. Also need to update my daughters computer and she lives in the boonies with a dialup speed of 21.4.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

WinXP SP2 is looking more and more reminiscent of Windows NT SP2. Now there was one unmitigated disaster.
I'm beginning to think my install of XP SP2 was one of the "not so successful" you alluded to. All the programs I've tried since the install seem to function correctly, but the OS itself is acting mighty puny. My 1.4GHz machine is acting its only running on a few of those Hz - among a host of other symptoms. Oh well, it's been a while since I wiped the drives and reloaded the OS. Maybe that will be my labor for Labor Day. Yeah, I know, you are supposed to be able to uninstall it. But my experience has been OS upgrades and SP uninstall's are simply wastes of time that leave things so dirty it takes more time and effort to clean out the stables than if you did a clean install to begin with.
I didn't want to chop all those mortises anyway.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

<snip>
I just purchased a new hard drive for my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, as well as an "EZ-Gig II" upgrade kit. The kit is a USB connected way to copy the old hard drive first to the new hard drive. Then you swap the drives. After that you permanently mount the old hard drive in the included enclosure and you have a backup (or extra) USB-connected hard drive. Wipe that drive and use the included software to make an image of the copied hard drive, and you have an instant go-back option. Hard drive images have saved my ass more than once. Saving ash is a future objective.
--
Best regards
Han

After scanning with AdAware and SpyBot, Think about installing Spy Blaster. Its Free, "does not" run in the back ground and since I installed it 3 months ago, SpyBot And AdAware find NOTHING any more. It tweaks IE to filter and block the names that SpyBot and AdAware are looking for.

Leon wrote:

The makers of "Spyware Blaster" also have a free program called "Spyware Guard". It runs in the background and prevents the spyware from being installed. I've been running it for about a week and it seems to be working. See:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
Yeah the SpyBlaster prevents the spyware from being installed also as long as you have the least definitions. I prefer to not have something in the back ground not running. So far Spyware blaster has prevented anything from being installed. I recall thinking that AdAware and SpyBot were not working properly as suddenly they were not finding anything after installing Spyware Blaster. I uninstalled both and reinstalled both. Still they find nothing.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:47:55 +0000, Tom Veatch wrote:

There have been reports that the CPU driver in SP2 is causing fits with some systems (particularly Dells). You may want to Google around for that.
--
Joe Wells

Do you know if XP's "restore" works after SP2 to go back before SP2? Or is it too big? -- Igor
You can simply use uninstall to uninstall SP2 if you want.