O/T: Food for thought

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy of exploration.

Lew Hodgett

If the money and effort that has gone into sky is falling prognostications and whining had gone into the research Gates discusses, we'd be there already. Unfortunately some of the biggest whiners have figured out how to make a buck from fear and loathing.

Reply to
LDosser

We would have clean nuclear energy systems that uses all of the waste produced, IF during the past 40 years the country had worked as hard to find solutions for the perceived problems, as the country has worked to avoid the ultimate conclusion that we MUST use nuclear energy.

We solved the chemical and physical problems of purifying Uranium in about 4 years; 1941 to 1945. Given the same resources in 40 years it is impossible to imaging the amount of clean energy we could have had today.

There are still those that are still trying to use impractical ideas to avoid make the ultimate decision.

Paraphrase an old saying; you can lead a horse to water, but eventually the horse must drink or die.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Gates, who received a standing ovation for his remarks."

If he'd actually innovated ANYTHING after Excel for Mac in the 1980's, I might have some respect for the weasel.

But he didn't, and I don't.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Windows 7 was my idea....15 years ago when I called it Mac System 9."

--Steve Jobs

Reply to
-MIKE-

Jealous?

Reply to
Leon

Good question. I just did a self-check and decided that I'd rather be my not-so-well-off self than be him with $34B in the bank.

Especially while shaving...

...b'sides, /my/ software's better. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The box said: System requirement: "Windows 95 or better" . . . so I bought a mac.

Reply to
Robatoy

Celine Dion is one of the richest performers in the world, and she can't sing.

Reply to
Robatoy

Nice. :-)

Besides, I'm running Windows XP & 7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

technology that would turn spent uranium -- the 99 percent of uranium rods that aren't burned in current nuclear power plants -- into electricity."

Is something that I've been saying for at least 30 years. Former Washington State governor Dixie Lee Ray once said that we should be storing all our spent nuclear waste where we could get at it easily because one day we would want it to be able to use the energy remaining in it. Instead we have adopted a policy of trying to hide it as far away as possible.

Ah! the foolishness of man!

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

out how to make bread out of it".

Oh, wait, we *already* know how to do that.

D.

Reply to
Derek Lyons

Not even the teensiest bit.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I think the point there is simple: we know how, but we're not doing it.

We need to begin doing it, something like me and losing weight.

2050 puts it into the era when my grandchildren will be coming up for retirement, but with one exception, they've got their heads too far up their asses to get involved in anything outside themselves...from what I've seen, that's not at all unusual, and is one result of making it too frigging easy for several generations, starting with mine. They, though, are the second generation that has started out expecting to begin with more than their parents are finishing with.
Reply to
Charlie Self

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought, jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil companies had some clout in congress.

Reply to
Robatoy

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

Reply to
Morris Dovey

toasty? Huh? Huh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Probably some non-threatening kook who's beginning to think that the weather at Gitmo-By-The-Sea can't be all /that/ bad...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

And, of course, even if the energy fuel source itself is free, the accoutrements required to utilize it aren't...

--

Reply to
dpb