O/T: Folded Dipole

Page 4 of 7

I paid $10 to astraweb for non-Verizon usenet since last June: Your Account:          Pay-by-Download     Account Status:          Active     Bytes Downloaded:          239,565,280 bytes (0.24 GB)     Downloads Left:          24,760,434,720 bytes (24.76 GB)
Admittedly, I use Verizon's internet for most of my newsgroups
--
Best regards
Han

I currently have broadband cable Internet so to equal about the same speed I need to bump up to the third tier Internet service with U-verse. Here, I think Uverse has 5 tiers now at about $5 more per tier.

For the same money I'm paying now I can get a little more content and quite a bit more HD content. If I add their phone, in total it saves me about $20 a month.
I'm leaning more and more.
Mike O.

Cell just over 1 year. TV is all they are not gestating now.
We have had the capability to record 2 programs at one time for 6 or 7 years IIRC, Uverse allows 4 programs and oddly that would be better for us. U'd think 2 would be plenty. LOL
"Leon" wrote:

Just what the hell is worth recording as presented in what Newton Minnow defined as "A Vast Wasteland" more than 40 years ago?
Lew

TOH, NYW, vs. what my wife wants to watch vs. what my son likes to watch. Or you are too tired to catch the night time news but there is a segment that you wanted to hear about. Or a movie comes on at 3:00 AM.
The beauty to being able to record is that if something does come on that you want to watch is that you watch it when it is convenient for "you" to watch, not the time that the network thinks is the best time for you to watch it. We no longer have to be in front of the TV to watch anything at any specific time and can record up to 200 hrs of regular and or up to 50 hours of HD TV.
We could literally not watch TV for several weeks and not miss seeing anything. We watch TV and what we want when it suits us.
Not using the recorder means you have to wait for commercials and being a submissive to the networks if you want to watch what they are broadcasting. With out the recorder you "do" have to work around all of the Vast Wasteland to view a particular broadcast here and there. With a recorder you probably watch less TV because you only turn it on when you have time to watch it and you are only watching exactly what you intend to watch.
You have to really try it to understand the efficiency. I know 4 or 5 people that pretty much made the same comments that you did. They said we don't watch much TV we don't need it. I explained, you don't watch much TV because the shows you want to watch are not on when you want to watch. When you learn that you have total access regardless of broadcast time or channel to the 10% of worth while viewing, you look at the multi channel recorder a bit differently. They now have the recorders and wonder how they ever did with out them. They spend less time in front of the TV but see more of what they want.
The beauty of a DVR is that it will search typically 2 weeks in advance for content that you are interested in . You search by show name, persons name, type programming, time or day. Additionally it will remember your preferences and automatically record them regardless of day or time, automatically changes if the show is moved to another day or time. And it will not record repeats if you don't want it to do so, so my DVR only records NYW about 15 times a year and If I choose to do so I can watch the entire season in 1 day.
"Leon" wrote

I will add these remarks to Leon's comments.
As my wife says, "Thank God for fast forward." Thee is somg good programs that would be unwatchable if you had to endure the commercials. Recording them makes it possible to watch it.
If you find a series that you like, and it is available in repeats, the DVR allows you to "catch up". And if you really like the series, catching up can be fun.
If you are a movie buff, there is gold in mining some of the offerings on odd hours on obscure channels. I regularly score a good scifi, golden oldie or foreign flick this way.
As for my better half, she loves anything about animals and geology (earthquakes, volcanos, etc). There are literally hours of programming each day on these topics. Hell, there is a whole channel devoted to animals. There is also the National Geographic channel.
Me, I am a history, technology and military buff. And, of course, I like woodworking too!! I like the discovery channel.
There is no doubt that there is a great wasteland on TV. But if you search for some good stuff, it is there. It is like the internet. Lots of stuff out there. And there is that subset of good stuff that you like. You just got work a little to find it. And WANT to find it.
You can not function well in a digital environment withut some basic search skills.

Mythbusters, Keith and Rachel, Daily Planet, Formula 1, Entourage... that's about it...
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:02:09 -0500, "Leon"

To sum up Leon's (snipped) remarks:
DVR has changed the way we watch TV. Rarely do we ever watch anything live. On the odd occasion when we do, we can't stand it and typically pause at an opportune spot and go kill 15 or 20 minutes doing something else (no, that would be 10). Then we'll come back and pick up where we left off, fast forwarding through the commercials as we go.
Of course we also have the option of saying, "this sucks," deleting the recording thus far, and then pursuing something else--TV or otherwise.
To repeat: we virtually never watch live TV. DVR makes that possible.
And by the way, among the treasures I found was a series called "The Mechanical Universe" which airs a couple of times a day on the University House channel (or something like that) on our Dish satellite. I saw it back in the '80s, remembered it as outstanding, and see now that I was right. I have about 32 of the 52 episodes on the hard drive and will convert all to DVD at some point.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Period. Full stop. :)
"Leon" wrote:

Around here you either get begging of 5-7 year old reruns in those time slots.

With 24/7 news cycle NBD, it will repeat in 20 minutes.
If the movie is on a 3:00AM, it wil run again.

Agreed, but what's to watch?

Agreed.
I miss several weeks of "crap" on a regular basis with no ill effects.

I can selectively ignore most anything, especially commercials.
"Mute" is a great function.

If the program it will run again, it's a matter of filling time since there is so much total trash being broadcast.
I have a great deal of difficulty finding more than a couple of programs a week that I'm willing to sit down and watch.
If I miss one, it will rerun soon enough.
Lew
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:43:44 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

So much so, in fact, that I've found the difficulty to so outweigh the benefit that it's been years since I've suffered through any TV offering at all. If my wife didn't have a couple of "police procedural" shows that she enjoys, I would be quite content without a TV in the house.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Most all of your responses to TV programming would improve with a DVR. Until you let "it" do the hunting you really don't know what you are missing. I have heard all of you responses time and again from those that "thought" the same way. Now they actually like watching the TV. LOL

This is the problem that TiVo has had from the beginning. It is very difficult to explain that TiVo (or DVR's) make a fundamental change in a viewer's relationship with television. I've had a TiVo since 2001 and would never go back to regular TV.
Now, I'm in control of what I watch and when. Before, I could control what I watched, or when I watched it, but not both.
-- Doug
"Douglas Johnson" wrote:

Your basic assumption is that there is something worth saving to watch at a time of your convenience.
Not necessarily an accurate assumption.
I must be in the minority, but IMHO, the bulk of TV is little more than white noise.
Lew
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:58:15 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

I don't think I understand your problem with making TV watching convenient. Your own statement, "...the bulk of TV is little more than white noise," logically parses to mean that there is something more substantive than white noise in at least some TV (which, by the way, does indeed make Doug's assumption accurate).
That's the whole point of DVRs. YOU pick what (if anything) YOU want to watch. YOU pick when to watch IF YOU picked something. YOU get to FF through the unwanted stuff (ads are essentially white noise). What's the problem?
The beauty, as stated in several different ways, is that YOU can easily ignore the TV as much as you want. But if some gem crops up (and there are some, by your own admission), YOU get to enjoy it without having to sift through a lot of white noise.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote:

I don't have a problem making TV watching more convenient.
I start with a personal filter:
No sitcoms. No CSI anything No Reality TV. Forget Trump and all his derivatives. No American Idol. No fake hospital shows. No made for TV sports broadcasts.
After that, take a look at what's left.
If I had cable, probably leave set tuned to C-Span and forget it.
As it is, have local station doing a CNN type broadcast.
Usually leave TV set to that channel and the sound becomes white noise while I do something else.
If something happens, "Flashes" across the screen.
Plenty of time to look then to catch the endless repeats.
Lew

How about woodworking shows? If your PBS station is accurate with their program guide information, a DVR could catch the occasional episode of NYW or TOH. (I've got my mother's DVR set to record the Woodwright's Shop. We don't get it from the PBS station here.)
I don't watch local networks very much... They show what's basically on your list. If we could pull in Fox 43 for the occasional baseball game, I wouldn't see any reason to give Dish $5/mo for locals. (Especially because they don't have the digital sub channels!)
Puckdropper

Yeah I pretty much don't watch that crap either.
Add to your filter, NO Commercials,
Because you can fast forward through a commercial a 1 hour show is now a 40 minute show and and the show you like to watch does not take as much of your time to watch.. Add to the filter, NO SPORTS except for the occasional Golf tournament that may interest me. I can filter on that too. I choose the tournament with a specific player or players.
Now consider that of all the filters you personally filter daily, the DVR now does it for you automatically. You don't have to waste time when you turn the TV to apply your filter.
Your openion of TV programming is not unique to you. I felt the same way, as did most every one that I know that now have DVR's. We assuredly watch more TV that we want to watch in less time than it took to watch fewer programs.

"Leon" wrote

golf. I am falling asleep just thinking about it. :-)
Lee Michaels wrote:

Golf is one of the most spectacular sporting events ever. The only event more exciting is watching grass grow...