O/T: Finally

Page 1 of 2
EPA declares greenhouse gases a health threat.
This one will get the elephants in the room moving.
Lew

How many cubic feet of greenhouse gas in an elephant's fart?
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:38:22 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Someone once said that the romance of the North went away fast when you were behind a dozen sled dogs that had eaten old frozen fish for lunch :-).

Not the big ones - it is termites. They out produce all sources other than volcanoes.
Now think of the rotting wood in Brazil ? ......
Martin
Robatoy wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote:

Good question.
Here in California, a major dairy state, cows are a major source of animal farts, but don't think elephants have yet been monitored.
Lew

through the roof, further sabatoging an already shakey economy. It will have NO other effect. No, wait - it will have one other effect - it will increase Al Gore's income.
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Gore is a fraud.
Robatoy wrote:

Careful, now. If you talk like that he'll ban you from the Internet. He invented it, after all, so he must have controlling rights.
;-) Glen

Gore is a fraud.
Yeah, he's a fraudy cat.
Kevin M. Vernon wrote:

Well, it might increase /my/ income, too. :)
FWIW, the customer whose shop is featured at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
passed the payback point this spring - and can look forward to *free* heat and a year-round warm shop for the next 25 or 30 years...
[ Still trying to encourage woodworkers to build their own, but not seeing many who're willing to help themselves - and I'm having a difficult time pinning that on Al Gore. ]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Next time I build, I will be contacting you for prices or plans, one or the other.
BTW, in reference to this... "The construction crew expressed amazement at the temperature and force of the panel airflow - they were surprised that the air could be moved so rapidly without blowers."
Does the size and/or shape on the cold air intake vents have anything to do with this? Or is it just a case of being big enough?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I can help with the first, but for the second you can consult
www.builditsolar.com

Yes - but also the sizes and shapes of the plenums and discharge vents.

This too, but height and depth are far more important than width for airflow.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Morris, I'd take you up on that, but payback here in AZ would be measured in decades (I buy about $40 worth of kerosene per year to heat my shop).
Get back to me when you get that stirling cycle air conditioner into a commercially viable format, then we'll have something to talk about. ;-)

Would you settle for a solar powered swamp cooler?
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

You found out swamp coolers don't work in Houston, eh?
Maybe you could sell it to someone in New Orleans?

Oooh! ...harsh. :|
nb
notbob wrote:

For many years folks from Houston visited New Orleans where we were met with gracious and exuberant hospitality. I could tell you stories...
So, when Katrina came along, we were more than eager to repay the many instances of hospitality. We opened the Astrodome and accepted 75,000 evacuees. We tried hard to integrate them into our society.
It didn't work.
I've had more than one Houston Police officer tell me a common refrain is: "Watch you mean I can't be moseyin' in my 'hood with a malt and a toke?" Fortunately, the undesirable elements are killing each other off with great regularity and the remainder experience "Texas Justice."
We don't lack of prison space like California. During the bountiful years we built prisons as far as the eye could see. Our prison system grows virtually all its own food - except for a few things like coffee and pepper. The system has cotton fields, textile mills, and the women's unit takes the cloth and makes uniforms, bedding, and sundry items.
You might want to browse through the other stuff the Texas Department of Corrections makes. It's an interesting study.
Texas Correctional Industries http://www.tci.tdcj.state.tx.us /
Anyway, when Hurricane Yikes! came along, and more evacuations from New Orleans seemed imminent, the Ad Hoc Vigilance Committee for New Orleans Evacuees was hastily assembled. Members jobs were to stand on the side of Interstate 10 holding signs that said "This Way to San Antonio."
Dave in Houston wrote:

Around my cast iron tools? No way.

complete with swamp coolers. Rust was not nearly the problem I thought it would be.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Lucky you! At one point I needed to heat my shop to get an order out and burned more than $40 worth of LPG in a single /day/.

I'll invite you to be really specific about what you mean by "commercially viable format".
The air conditioner is a two-part - or, depending on your definition of "commercially viable format", three-part problem.
Part one is to produce a Stirling cycle engine suitable for use with solar heat. We know (sorta) how to build different flavors of Stirling engines, but there's a lot of R&D needed. IMO, there's a serious lack of R and even less D - and there are significant political disincentives for correction of that problem.
My progress has been limited by the fact that I'm only able to spend about $50/month on the project. I just bought a torch, regulators, hoses, etc to that I could braze prototypes - and that outlay represented more than three months of saved-up R&D budget. Oxygen and acetylene may be do-able next month, we'll see.
My first priority isn't air-conditioning - it's a solar powered pump suitable for irrigation and village water supplies, and if you have an interest in how things are going, there's a menu of web pages at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling /
to help keep you up to date. The last link in that menu is to a page showing progress made by some really brainy young folks who're trying to help and who don't mind getting their hands dirty to get the job done. More hands /is/ making lighter work (but their development budgets aren't any better than mine, and they also have other claims on their time and energy).
The engines that you see there are the probable forerunners of the engines that will be the core part of that air-conditioner.
It's looking more and more likely that it won't be me who gets back to you on the solar Stirling air-conditioning unit, and it may be to your kids rather than yourself, but it will happen.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar