O.T. Euphemism runs amok.

Page 2 of 3
So let's see, you don't respond to one single technical point, just bluster. Why would that be?

Will stall speed vary with the type of finish painted on the wing surface?

You mean that red herring you dangled out there?
Will stall speed vary with the type of finish painted on the wing surface?
Question should be will it measurably vary with the type of finish. Answer is probably yes. Paint has mass and mass affects stall speed.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

How about the texture of the paint?
Robatoy wrote:

Sure. They still wax the wings of a B52 to make 'em slickier. That's probably to cut down drag and increase airspeed, but it surely affects stall characteristics.

How about the texture of the paint?
------------------------------------------------------------- I don't know, but will guess it is much less a factor than the weight.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

You mean mass..as in payload? Not "JUST" angle of attack?

You mean mass..as in payload? Not "JUST" angle of attack?
That's what I thought I meant.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

All of the other negative points and barbs between you aside, he is correct about the angle of attack determining the point at which a wing stalls.
Airspeed, attitude, altitude, load factor and other items all muddy the picture and are related, but fact is that an angle of attack indicator is what will tell you when the wing is going to or has already stall.
That is one reason all modern airliners and heavy transports have a couple of them on the side of their fuselages.
--
Jim in NC

...and this is different from what I said..how?

And I never disputed that. What made me respond, is Clark's faux-authorative arrogant assertiveness when he tosses out a statement which in itself is incomplete. He sure-as-hell would be all over somebody else were they to make an incomplete statement like that. ...besides, I like jerking the asshole's chain. <G>
"Robatoy" wrote:

What made me respond, is Clark's faux-authorative arrogant assertiveness when he tosses out a statement which in itself is incomplete. He sure-as-hell would be all over somebody else were they to make an incomplete statement like that. ...besides, I like jerking the asshole's chain. <G> ---------------------------------- You know you will have arrived when you force him to put you in his kill file.
It takes a while, but worth the effort.
Lew

:-)
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:17:50 -0500, "Morgans"

When I was flying the best stall indicator was my ass in the seat, it went off before the audible stall indicator ever did. That is why you practice at altitude.
Mark
@hotmail.com says...

Yep, in many aircraft under many circumstances you can feel it coming. However when there's half a kiloton of ammunition in the back and you're coming into a short field with zero-zero visibility you want all the help you can get.
J. Clarke wrote:

Said another way:
The angle of attack changes the amount of air flowing over the wing. The mass of air flowing over a wing determines lift.
As altitude increases, air density decreases (duh). For the same angle of attack, a higher altitude means less mass of air over the wing while the aircraft's weight remains constant. At some altitude, for any given angle of attack, a stall will occur.

Soooo if air is thinner a stall would occur at a shallower angle or lower airspeed? (trick question)
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

No. If you are maintaining constant airspeed there is some altitude at which for any given angle of attack the aircraft will be unable to sustain level flight, however this is not a stall. A stall occurs when flow detaches from the upper surface of the wing and further increases in angle of attack result in less rather than more lift. And this occurs at a specific angle of attack.

STOP right here....
You mean... that if you change airspeed, things change? And here *I* thought you said it was strictly a function of Angle Of Attack... oh wait.. you DID say that.... . . . sucks to be wrong, eh John?

http://tinyurl.com/4jcbswu
...then you can tell the class what the white segment of the airspeed indicator means...