O/T: Earth Day

Page 1 of 2
The celebration of Earth Day by the local PBS station included showing a couple of unique recycling programs here in SoCal.
1) Latex Paint.
There is a latex only, paint recycling business in the neighborhood that produces a reconstituted paint product from old paint.
They produce a few different colors, but mostly "off white".
It is about 1/3-1/2 the cost of "new" paint and gets used on things like brick walls or other background surfaces.
The professional painter will notice a slight variation in characteristics from "new", but probably not the amateur.
The olds cans end up being recycled into rebar. (Same place confiscated firearms go)
2) Carpet
Today, almost all carpet is hydrocarbon based.
This is the only location in the world providing this service.
They recycle old carpet by stripping of the old backing, then reformulating what is left into carpet padding or other plastic padding applications including automotive.
They process over 4,000,000,000 lbs of carpet annually at this one location. (Yes, that's BILLION with a "B").
3) Dry Cleaning
The elimination of Tri-Clor used in dry cleaning has been a primary objective of the SCAQMD as well as the EPA for some time.
It is not only nasty but hazardous.
A solution is available.
Leave it to the Germans.
They have developed a water based cleaning process that not only does a better job cleaning the clothes, but also uses less energy, is less expensive to purchase, and produces no hazardous waste.
Ultimately, these are all profit driven businesses, but it clearly demonstrates there are alternates to our here to for wasteful life styles.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

But can it clean wool without shrinking it?

--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Of course.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Do you have a link to this process?
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Not really; however, it was shown on KCET here in L/A on Huell Howser's program, if that helps.
Lew

Um... If it's water based, is it still called dry cleaning? :)
My friend worked for CarpetCycle (?) a while back. Interesting program they have going there.
V8013-R
My city celebrated by slashing and burning hundreds of trees behind my house. I can't figure out the city council. Every chance they get they'll rip out the green spaces around established housing areas and stuff in some retail space. We literally have more empty retail space than full. Some of it new and never occupied. I should probably consider myself fortunate. A few blocks up the road they removed the green space, built a 20 foot wall and then a Walgreens store on top of it. Some unlucky residents went from a beautiful wooded view to a 20 foot concrete wall in a matter of months.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Follow the money?
--John
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get reverse carbon credits if I start building bonfires to keep the earth warm?
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23583376-5013480,00.html
Funny how you hear little about it in what passes for "news" here in the United Corporations of Norte Amercano.
Wonder what the Goracle will have to say about that on Oprah?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Spoken like a true Aggie !
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

building
Well, where do you think I got the idea ... eat y'alls teasippin' little hearts out! ;)
Besides, Bubba ... show a little respect here! I'll have you know that you're talking to the proud recipient of 1 brazilian's worth of "carbon offsets"!!
(a "brazilian" (sic) being a mind boggling number too large for even a prominent scientist of Al Gore's mental stature to comprehend!)
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/proud-brazilianholder.pdf
(thanks, Leon!) :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I know where you got the idea. FYI, I am a Cougroe (Civil Technology, Construction Management) though I came to it late in life (Class of '98).

HAH! I always thought that was a GWB anecdote. Guess it depends on what crowd you run with.

Is that like Calloway golf clubs?
/:o))))) Dave in Houston
On Apr 24, 12:50 pm, "Swingman" <k...@no

I thought it was a unit of measure for pubic hair...
--
FF

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Inquiring minds ... Is a 'Brazilian" more, or less, (pubic hair) than a "bikini"?
... we've been trying to figure that one out for about two weeks. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Yep ... that explains why our wives were laughing so hard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Can you get a job doing that? ... inquiring minds, and all that.
Might be a good retirement career, being harmless old men ...
... yeah, right! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I dunno... I might consider it. There was a claim on the second link that said something like "waking up feeling fresh and clean every morning" or some such.
What a relief it would be to not wake up with my hair in a snarl, white chin whiskers to shave, eyeballs glued together from allergies, throat raw from snoring, and stumbling down the hallway having to pee like a racehorse.
They might have something here...
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If you snore that hard (and if you don't live in some nanny state like California where a diagnosis can get your driver's license revoked) you might want to talk to a pulmonologist about sleep apnea.
--John