O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

Page 8 of 15
"Robatoy" wrote
But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour. ================ Well, fire up that CNC maschine!!
Whacha waiting for?

The denier was a French coin created by Charlemagne in the Early Middle Ages. It was introduced together with an accounting system in which twelve deniers equaled one sou and twenty sous equalled one livre. This system and the denier itself served as the model for many of Europe's currencies, including the British pound, Italian lira, Spanish dinero and the Portuguese dinheiro. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Very interesting! Was the denier split into smaller increments like the British farthing?
The denier is also a measurement of the density of a fiber or thread. A thread of length 9000 meters (about 5.6 miles) that weighs 1 gram is a one denier thread. This definition, believe it or not, fits the actual characteristics of a single strand of silk.

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide with my real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I could whip it around corners faster than any other car I ever owned -- safely. Never got stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if they started making them tomorrow.
wrote

Me too, Ed. I had a neat little '64 coupe. It was a fun car.
Max
wrote the following:

I don't know that I'd buy another GM product, but I owned and loved two different '62 Corvair convertibles and even ran the nicest one on the (mild) motocross track my friends had built. She -flew-, by Crom!
-- The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. -- Thomas A. Edison

I had a Monza coupe with wide tires and a block that shortened the throw in the shift linkage. Only thing I'd want different today is AC. The bucket seat was comfortable on long rides too. Of course, my butt was narrower back then too.
I'm far less happy with GM cars today though. The one in my driveway that is falling apart is the last.
On 5/8/2010 9:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nader was, and is, a nosy little busybody who, unable to do anything useful, decided to attack the productive segments of society. His attacks on the Corvair were shameful, dishonest, and unhinged from reality. Yes, smaller cars are at disadvantage to larger vehicles. But, IIRC, this was not his beef. He objected to the independent suspension of the Corvair as I recall, a design idea now seen in virtually all modern vehicles. This is what happens when people become professional gadflys, political pundits, politicians, and cause monkeys - they do nothing of value in their own right, choosing instead to live a life reflecting on the accomplishments of of others ... kind of like being a Community Organizer.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Or a lawyer, or, a lawyer community organizer!
Barf!
--
Jack
Got Change: God Bless America ======> God Damn Amerika!

Well, what do you know. THAT'S YOU!!! You've described yourself to a virtual T. You contribute nothing to this newsgroup, you've never contributed *any* woodworking content to this newsgroup and you're void of any future potential of doing so.
Same as all the political discussions you inflame here. You don't vote for any party and haven't for some time, yet you consider yourself a professional pundit on the topic.
You do nothing of any value in your own right and attempt to live what little life you have vicariously through others who do make a contribution.
On 5/8/2010 10:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Somebody took them racing in Europe. They were beating the works Porsches. Nadir did not win one single lawsuit but he managed to convince people that they were deadly anyway. If there was any justice in the world, Nadir would have gotten drafted and blown up in a tank.

Enjoyed your misspelling -- it may be more accurate than intended!
On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, Steve wrote:

Oh, I assure you that it was intended. He'll always be a low point to me.

Nader's attacks wer on the early models, (I think it was just the first two years, or maybe just the first) which did indeed have a problem. Chevy fixed the problem and Nader has acknowleged that the later models did not have the problem he had gone after in earlier versions.

By the time Nader's book was published, the Corvair's rear suspension had been re-engineered to what it SHOULD have been to begin. That was a fun car to scoot though corners.
Nader's always been a spoiler, not a crusader.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well that didn't work very well. Nothing much there to "fold up" I guess it would do OK if a Smart Car ran into it at low speed. Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see the death per accident ratio of the Corvair vs Pinto vs Isetta vs Falcon and so on and so forth. Just knowing how the basic construction tells me the Pinto did better, but if so, not by much. They were all death traps. I had a 54 Merc and a 55 Ford Crown Vic and it was next to impossible to keep the doors from flying open around a bend... No seat belts either. I remember feeling somewhat safe because I had the steering wheel to hang onto...
My buddies mother had a brand new, 1962 Corvair and I recall at around 100 mph, with 5 juvenile delinquents in it, the front end would lift off the ground and he could, and did, turn the front wheels without the car noticing. Had anything gone awry, I would not be here to harass all you saw dust jockey's.

Well, I still didn't see them. I thought he was insinuating they were somehow safe? It does look like they are attempting to make them safer than they look, but still, laws of physics are hard to overcome:-)
--
Jack
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

It would be. As for metal to fold up, it did just that and protected me against a truck and trailer that was in the 40,000 pound range. The roof was folded up to a point in the center and door that was hit by the truck's bumper was pushed in and it moved me over and I avoided serious injury.

The car itself gets a lot of damage, but the passengers (test dummies) fare rather well, actually. While you cannot change the laws of physics, good engineering does help you work with it to diffuse and move energy.
wrote the following:

Please, Jack. They're insured. While the ruination of an oil platform wrecks the bidness for a couple weeks, it also causes the price of all oil they sell to go up, so they're sitting much prettier right now than they were a few weeks ago. Prices raise quickly and drop slowly, so by the time it returns to normal, they'll have 50x their investment in fines and replacement platforms. No worries.
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Hmm, haven't noticed the price go up significantly in the last week or two.
On 05/05/2010 09:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just went up about 7% here a couple days ago.
Chris