O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

Page 7 of 15
J. Clarke wrote:

You could be right, my memory is him going after the Pinto. The Corvair and the Beetle were death traps as well, but I only recall news stories about him and the Pinto. Some people still think the Corvair was a "Sturdy thing" It wasn't, and neither were the VW or the Isetta or a slew of other small cars. People burning up in fiery crashes were about the same in the Pinto as any other car, but the world was convinced Pinto's had a corner on the market, and they didn't.
The real danger was simply physics. Low weight, small vehicle hitting a higher weight, large vehicle. The small guy loses most every time.
--
Jack
Got Change: Now CHANGE IT BACK!
wrote the following:

<http://www.wfu.edu/~palmitar/Law&Valuation/Papers/1999/Leggett-pinto.html
Ayup.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Larry Jaques wrote: People burning up in fiery crashes were

Great link there Larry, too much for now but I saved it to peruse later.
As far as cost risk analysis that get a hair up everyones nose, I look at it like the Saw Stop. I don't want anyone mandating that I get rid of my saw and buy a Saw Stop, or buy Saw Stop technology because it is risky not to use it. My saw has been used for 50+ years w/o any major damage, and no saw stop, no guard even. I can afford a Saw Stop, and I could have a roll cage installed in my truck, make everyone that enters my truck wear a NASCAR approved crash helmet, and a fire suit, but, I choose not too.
--
Jack
I'm not as dumb as you look.

True enough if all other things are equal. But often other things are not equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

It's a shame what they did to the '59 here but I'd sure rather be in the '09 in a crash.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and about every other small car of it's day.

No, have they done something to defy the laws of physics?
--
Jack
Got Change: Now CHANGE IT BACK!
wrote the following:

The Corvair was one of the very first unibodies, designed to fold up in the proper manner, absorbing the impact so it protects the passengers.

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
wrote

Can you skate with a scate? I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta bin a fast mutha.
Max (used to ice skate)
If you admit you're crazy you can still fly. Doc Daneeka.
wrote the following:

Hey, who changed my post? <blush>

I saw that, too, for a split second.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Max wrote:

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need permission from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.
--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.

Thank you, Jack, for the instructions on the proper etiquette for Usenet. Please accept my apologies for not realizing that this NG had a moderator. Is there an e-mail address to which I can submit my comments for approval?
Max

I read that rather hastily and missed the "file". Hmmm. Freudian?
Max

Name ONE incident where I corrected anybody's spelling. If you can't find it, STFU.
Robatoy wrote:

Yikes! A Robocop denier... What a stroke of luck!
--
Jack
Got Change: Inconvenient Truth =====> Convenient Lies!

The denier was a French coin created by Charlemagne in the Early Middle Ages. It was introduced together with an accounting system in which twelve deniers equaled one sou and twenty sous equalled one livre. This system and the denier itself served as the model for many of Europe's currencies, including the British pound, Italian lira, Spanish dinero and the Portuguese dinheiro.
But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.
On 5/12/2010 11:45 AM, Robatoy wrote:

IIRC, Canada mints a "Loonie". :o)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 5/12/2010 1:17 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

And a "Two-nie" to go with it.
Morris Dovey wrote:

+1

NICE!!!
...and that is exactly why 'my' coin has yet to be struck.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Damhit, that should have been my line...
Good one though...
--
Jack
The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.