O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

Page 6 of 15
"Morris Dovey" wrote ...

concept of infinity, just look at human stupidity"?
On 5/5/2010 9:49 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

It's the most common element in the universe!
On 5/5/2010 11:00 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Well, that may be, but this is a close second:
http://ebeltz.net/resume/jir.html

If you decompose administrontium you'll find that it's almost completely composed of pure stupidity organized in various forms.
On 5/5/2010 10:49 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Uh, where on the Electra did they use anything "faulty"? Its problem was a failure mode that had been previously unknown, and a contributing factor was that the wing was made _stronger_ than it was supposed to be. Once they figured out what was going on they fixed it and it has been a reliable workhorse ever since.

For an equivalent government counterexample, Gallopin' Gertie.
On 5/5/2010 12:23 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Before the failures, I traveled in the Electra (KLM, Dhahran to Cairo and later Cairo to Amsterdam) and liked it. I traveled in the plane after the fixes (but can't remember when/where) and recall pleasant flights.
Still, I'd hardly consider a design that resulted in wing failure anything other than faulty. And yes, even the best of intention and engineering sometimes do go awry.
Sorry if I touched a nerve.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

And a 9x16x1/8" poly shield (which I installed as a Ford tech at the time) fixed the problem Pintos had when they were so rudely rear-ended at freeway speeds. I sure wish the engineers had foreseen that horribly blatant "defect", don't you? <thud>
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

They did, but the bean counters decided cost of the number of 51-cent shields required would outweigh the payouts from the inevitable wrongful death lawsuits. Razzehfratchin' MBAs! (And I are one...)
Morris Dovey wrote:

My brother owned a Ford Pinto, it was a great little car? What was wrong with it, besides being a small, eco-friendly, wallet friendly ride in an era that didn't particularly want all that?
Anyway, People risking $billions are more likely to make every effort to protect that investment from stupidness, like cheap, faulty valves than some corrupt government bureaucrat. That doesn't mean nothing will ever happen, it just means some corrupt bureaucratic bullshit isn't likely to intensify the drive to protect the investment.
--
Jack
Got Change: Individual Freedom =======> Government Control!

The problem with the Pinto was pretty serious. There were some mounting bolts for the gas tank that were placed such that when the car got rear ended, the bolts would pierce the gas tank, and cause the Pinto to essentially blow up in a fireball.
As if that wasn't bad enough, Ford's shocking reaction to this defect was that it was cheaper to pay settlements for the deaths, then to recall and correct the problem.
I knew two people burned to death in a Pinto during a crash that would have otherwise been not much more than a fender bender. They were 16 years old.
People stood by helplessy listening to them scream in agony as they died.
Completely and easily preventable, except that Ford made a financial calculation and didn't fix the known problem.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Gas tanks rupture and cars blow up routinely in car accidents.

I witnessed a VW beetle run into the back of a truck and put two small dents in the hood. The 25 year old driver was dead as a door nail. The VW had no significant damage to it and the truck didn't even have the dirt scraped off the bumper. I've seen cars shredded by trains and the driver lived. Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were death traps looking for a place to happen.
Going after just Ford for the Pinto was a Ralph Nader witch hunt. Your chances of surviving being rear ended by a truck in a pinto had to be better than getting rear ended in a smart car. Hell, I think a murder cycle stands a good chance against a smart car or an Isetta.
--
Jack

Not like this. Pinto's were known as "gas bombs". This wasn't one or two isolated instances. The Pinto had a fatal design defect that made them extremely vulnerable in even a minor rear end collision. They additionally had a problem with doors that jammed when the car was rear ended, that made it impossible to get out of the burning car. Ford acknowledged the problem existed. They knew about the problem before the first Pinto was ever sold. They were bursting into flame during pre-production safety testing. Ford did a cost benefit analysis, and the accountants said it was cheaper to pay out settlements than provide an $11 fix to each Pinto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNeorjXMrE

http://motherjones.com/politics/1977/09/pinto-madness
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yes, thats what they were known as. Turns out that about as many people died in fiery crashes in Pintos as in other popular cars of that time. You could get dead in a VW or a Corvair simply by a dirty look from a pickup truck.
They

Yeah, laws of physics are a bitch.
--
Jack
You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
wrote the following:

Like this one: http://www.buzzfeed.com/govtrust/smart-car-sandwich-au
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Larry Jaques wrote:

I read somewhere this was an SUV when it started out, and that the driver survived? Who knows? Having worked in a body shop that did 24 hour towing, I've seen all sorts of crazy shit.
--
Jack
Got Change: Now CHANGE IT BACK!
On Fri, 07 May 2010 14:11:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Remember following one on the Jersey Pike with one of these on the rear deck:
http://www.mysafetylabels.com/Explosives-Placards/Class-1-Explosive-Placard/SKU-DOT-1267.aspx?wizardid#403
I thought it strange that they'd be using such a small car to carry explosives, until I noticed that it was a Pinto.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck pulling a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

You've seen the Smart crash tests on You Tube right?

And you've seen the Chery (sic) crash tests as well?
On 5/7/2010 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Uh, Nader made his reputation going after GM for the Corvair, then flushed it going after the Beetle.