O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

Page 15 of 15
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You are correct that we don't have a solution to nuclear waste.
We have LOTS of solutions.
* We can encase the waste in molten glass and dump it in the Marianna's Trench * We can liquify it an inject it into a salt dome * We can concentrate it and rocket it into the sun
and so on. There are probably a hundred viable solutions.
The reason we haven't picked one is not because a solution doesn't exist; the reason we haven't picked one is THAT WE DON'T NEED A SOLUTION TODAY!
We can wait.
Wait until we absolutely HAVE to choose. By waiting it is possible a new solution will become available that's better than all the other known possibilities.
On 05/04/2010 03:22 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Actually we're probably better off re-using it. Most current "nuclear waste" is actually still a pretty good fuel source and can be reprocessed. It's currently cheaper to just use freshly-mined uranium, which is why we're not doing it.
Also, new reactor designs like the "travelling wave" reactor are expected to produce far less waste since they basically breed their own fuel from depleted uranium right before they react it. This allows them to operate much more efficiently. They're also in theory capable of re-using their own fuel and the waste from current light-water reactors.
Chris
On Tue, 04 May 2010 16:17:52 -0600, Chris Friesen

Yabbut, Clintoon defunded the FAST reactor research and Obama is set to do the same, I believe. We'd have had them by now and could recycle 95% of that high-level waste the damned Chicken Littles of the world would just STFU. (Would someone make sure the libruls know that 95% is a -large- amount? Thanks!)
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

So says the junkie who doesn't have to grow his own poppies.

That was the theory before World War One as well, the industrialized nations were so commercially inter-dependent that they would never harm their own interests by going to war with each other. Oops.
Will commerce persuade the leaders of China to drop their insistence that one way or another Taiwan will "rejoin" the mainland? They've shown no signs of backing down so far, nor is "Free Tibet" likely to change any minds in Beijing. They have all our money, why should they change their policies just because we don't like what they're doing?

Say what? Every President at least since Nixon has recognized imported oil is a weapon that can be used against America, yet America has done a lousy job both of reducing waste and developing alternatives. How does the size of the nation stop America from converting its truck fleet to natural gas?

"Because we can"--like people could get mortgages they couldn't actually afford to pay off. So let's continue to do something stupid because we have the money, today. Tomorrow, not so much.
DGDevin wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand your analogy.

Other factors were at play after WWI, specifically the rape of Germany. The principle has worked since WW2.

China could conquer Taiwan in about thirty minutes, why haven't they done so? Because money hates conflict. If China started a war with Taiwan, their markets, credit, and trade would stop dead. They need trade to maintain their increasing standard of living.

I'll do it by steps so even the dim can grasp it: 1. The size of the nation implies a lot of transportation. 2. Oil, even imported oil, is cheaper than the alternatives, including natural gas. 3. The United States will NEVER be energy independent; oh, it CAN be energy independent, but it WON'T.
#3 needs expansion. If we can fuel our vehicles for ten cents per mile using gasoline, it is stupid in the extreme to use natural gas that costs fifteen cents per mile. If we get the cost of natural gas down to nine cents a mile, more gasoline becomes available on the world's market, driving its cost down to eight cents a mile. And so on.

Exactly.
If foresight was 20/20, such folks wouldn't have made such blunders. As things stood, you can't afix blame for them making the best decision possible with the information available.

If you liked the petroleum, you'll love the t-shirt: http://despair.com/bp.html
"DGDevin" wrote:

Personally I'd like to see $10.00/gallon.
Would certainly encourage getting off oil.
Lew
On Mon, 3 May 2010 15:06:44 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Think how that would affect the poor and low-income folks, Lew. Subsidizing little electric cars is a much better way.
What was Obamamotors, erm, I mean GM thinking when they did away with the EV-1? And why wasn't it reintroduced when they saw how the people were taken with the ugly little Prius?
Why hasn't every car company licensed Toyota's Hybrid system?
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Why hasn't every saw manufacturer licensed SawStop's technology?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

And replace it with what?
Do you think the stuff at WalMart miracled itself to the shelf?
On 5/3/2010 12:30 PM, DGDevin wrote:

It probably will, and the prices of NG and diesel will rise proportionately - not a good thing for folks wanting to keep warm in the wintertime...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Now why would that interest you? . . . . . . . ;-)
On 5/3/2010 6:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Because I want people to be comfortable in the wintertime (same reason I make solar panels).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

So you're competing with global warming?
*smirk*
On 5/5/2010 10:58 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Too easy - it's much more fun competing with someone who can compete back...
...Exxon, Chevron, BP,.., Gazprom, ConEd, PG&E, Toronto Power...
I'm starting small so as to sneak up on 'em. :-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

It is a BP made tragity... I believe that BP should change its businedss model.... Perhaps go into demolition...
When a refinery blows in the Houston metro area, it has something to do with BP.

Ok..I'll take the bite....I love a good oil leak....that make you happy? ..give me a break.
On 2010-05-05 22:07:55 -0400, "fallen.morgan (at) gmail.com"

Drive a Studebaker -- they don't leak ONLY if there's no oil in 'em!
On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:20:13 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

You think so? Check out what the fool in the White House did.
He finally did something for the U.S. instead of TO the U.S.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.