O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

> Tim Daneliuk =A0 =A0 snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com
> PGP Key: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
On 5/4/2010 7:42 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Make that two of us ... but we'll just have to both learn to live with it...
On 5/4/2010 8:10 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Learn to live with failure to make good decisions? Somehow that doesn't strike me as a very good strategy...
Here's my weird thought for the day:
The drum major doesn't choose the parade route.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 5/4/2010 10:04 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

I think you misunderstood. Robo and I are going to have to learn to live with the fact that we're occasionally in agreement ;)

Here's mine:
7-11s are open 24 x 7 x 365 - why do they have door locks?

So the clerk can go pee?
wrote the following:

[That's weird alright, Lob.]

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Manager. I thought that hole in that there safe was for relieving myself into."
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
On Tue, 04 May 2010 10:16:30 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

So the lone person on night shift can lock the door for a few minutes while they use the restroom.

Mental Illness.
basilisk

If we had a better, more efficient rail road system, we could move goods by rail. Electrified, nuclear powered rail. It's a human choice we made to put roads in, and as so many choices, some were right, and some were wrong.
Maybe now we can go back and put in really safe nuclear reactors ...
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

You're correct in thinking that nothing is more efficient that steel wheels on a steel rail. The problem is, however, that there are very few railroads that go to WalMart, the bodega down the street, and none at all that come to my house.
In fact, I'd be surprised if more than 10% of the towns in this country actually HAVE rail service. Also, rail cars are not like the UPS truck. Each car's contents go entirely to one destination. Then, too, the efficiency of railroads is built on scale. It takes time to load 200 rail cars, get them all lined up and ready to go. Several days at least. I don't want to wait that long for my donuts.

Never happen - too many deaths directly attributable to the prospect of nuclear power.
That is, the environmentalists would self-immolate or get so exercised over the thought that they'd begin stabbing each other - berserker fashion.
On 5/4/2010 7:02 AM, HeyBub wrote:

True, although at one time our cities (and larger towns) enjoyed neighborhood rail service in the form of streetcar lines...

Fair enough, but I remember Railway Express moving packages around the country without cumbersome delays - and that was before there were computers to help optimize loading manifests and help train masters make up trains.
The efficiency is not simply a matter of scale - it has a lot to do with the ability to organize and plan the movement of goods, and there was a /lot/ of merchandise moved very efficiently in LCL (less than carload) quantities.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

------------------------------------------ I remember REA as a pathetic mess in the early '60s.
All of my PO's carried a paragraph:
Ship: United Parcel Service
Any shipment made via REA will be refused.
Lew
On 5/4/2010 12:40 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Interesting - I remember boxes of fresh fruit from an uncle in California being delivered to our home in Indiana - in the mid- and late-1940's. Perhaps the timeline is significant...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

---------------------------------------- Without question.
UPS was just coming up to speed after WWII while REA was not considered a growth industry by the railroads.
By the early 60's, UPS was the big winner.
Lew
On 5/4/2010 1:19 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

In large part due to federal intrusion into the management process (which appeared to be the result of some really effective lobbying by Detroit interests) and featherbedding, by the 1960's the railroads weren't exactly a growth industry by any standard.
The /real/ winner produced the trucks that replaced the trains.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Don't forget Firestone's role in that.
On 5/4/2010 1:40 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

...and managed to get /you/ to provide and maintain the right of way
...and managed to reach into /your/ pocket when /they/ persisted in making unwise decisions.
( just thought I'd add that :) )
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

------------------------------------------- The interstate highway system provided major assistance to UPS becoming what it is.
Should read about the systematic destruction of the trolley system here in SoCal back in the 20's.
GMC, FoMoCo and Firestone were major players.
Should see the "Unit" trains leaving the port of L/A headed east across the California desert.
200 car trains are not uncommon.
Lew

Of course it could be done much better in today's world. Much more efficient dispatch, even more efficient locomotives, many could be replaced with electric engines. Get those damned 747 Boeing Freight planes out of the sky and those transcontinental trucks off the roads. They send full truckloads of stuff coast-to-coast. Those are full van loads. None of those truckers stop along the way to drop off a parcel to Mrs Jones. The railway does what it does best, big loads, long distances. Leave the micro stuff alone and set up a hub & spoke system to feed it. Just like UPS does now, except feed the hubs with trains. That would be a start.
On 5/4/2010 1:30 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

FWIW, Europe, which railfans hold up as the poster child for rail service, has trouble getting businesses to use rail for shipping. Their passenger service is popular, but not their freight service.
In the US, there is no real hope for intercity passenger service, since passenger trains are required (as part of the deal by which passenger service was nationalized) to wait for freight trains. There's no way to fix that except by abrogating the deal with the owners of the infrastructure, which opens up a huge can of worms, or running the passenger service on its own infrastructure independent of the freight carriers, which would involve immense expense.