O/T: Crabs

A MAN BOARDED AN AIRPLANE IN NEW ORLEANS, AT CHRISTMAS TIME WITH A BOX OF CRABS.

A FEMALE CREW MEMBER TOOK THE BOX AND PROMISED TO PUT IT IN THE CREW'S REFRIGERATOR, WHICH SHE DID.

THE MAN FIRMLY ADVISED HER THAT HE WAS HOLDING HER PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRABS STAYING FROZEN, THEN PROCEEDED TO RANT AND RAVE ABOUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF SHE LET THE CRABS THAW OUT.

SHORTLY BEFORE LANDING IN NEW YORK, SHE ANNOUNCED TO THE ENTIRE CABIN, "WOULD THE GENTLEMAN WHO GAVE ME THE CRABS IN NEW ORLEANS, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND?"

NOT ONE HAND WENT UP ..

SO SHE TOOK THEM HOME, ATE THEM HERSELF, AND HAD A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Shooting approaches in marginal weather after an all-night mission when the other aircraft in the pattern, a KC 135 from a unit redeploying from Europe, weathered out of home base, called the command post.

"Our control says they anticipate fog for two more day. Get on the phone and see what you can do to sell 100 live lobsters at $5.00 each (Loring, Maine) before they spoil."

Wife and I ate lobster for breakfast. My crew accounted for ten more.

Reply to
George

I will never forget picking my sister up at Dulles Airport and seeing her come down the jet way with a box full of cooked crawfish in her arms. Said she just put it right into the overhead and no questioned a thing.

That was a good meal that night. Crawdads and Abita straight from NOLA.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Early 70's, used to fill my briefcase with Mexican food on return trips to Boston from El Paso/White Sands. Just couldn't get good Mexican in the west suburbs of Boston then. Airport security was a lot looser in those days, but I still used to get some funny looks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I picked up a corner brace at an antique store in Austin once. When I passed it through X-ray, the security folks became quite interested (this was over a decade ago); it looked quite like a machine pistol frame.... Had to take it out and explain what it was and how it was used.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I did the same thing in the opposite direction. I'd stop at Bay State Lobster on my way to Logan. They'd box up some lobsters in a nice carrier that fit the overhead just fine.

The lobsters would then die a horrible death in Dallas. We would memorialize them with lemon and butter.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Did the same to their cousins. Back in the early 80's, two brothers from Boston worked for me in the 'O&G bidness'. They took bi-monthly trips home and were under strict orders to not bother to come back unless they could bring all the "chicken lobsters" they could stuff in the overhead compartment on each trip.

Since the critters looked just like big ass mudbugs, it was real hard at first for this coonass to cook something in plain old boiling water, with NO seasoning whatsoever ... just didn't seem right ... but eventually got very proficient at putting them out of their misery, tastefully and mercifully.

Reply to
Swingman

Angela has four older brothers in Nova Scotia who are all lobster fishermen. She tells a story about getting sick and tired of lobster sandwiches in school while the rich kids had peanut butter.

She knows how to hypnotize a lobster, I kid you not. It will stand on its head till she wakes is it up. She does that before she gives them a 212 degree bath (100C) till the antennae pull off easily. Then to watch her take one apart, seemingly without effort is quite impressive.

I ate two nice lobsters and ended up discovering a 3" red welt on my back. Thought nothing of it till the next time I had some lobster and it became a 6" welt....I am not allergic to anything else like shrimp or crab.

Frankly, I'm not too heart-broken about it, I'd much rather have a filet mignon with bearnaise with a nice claret. I do love fresh haddock though...and fresh scallops..YUMMMM

Reply to
Robatoy

I had a haddock the other day, took a couple vicodine and it went away. hey that kinda rymes. all b.s. aside i was in Nova Scotia buying logs back in the late 80s, stopped at little greasey spoon in Dartmouth and had scallops that were outta this world. also stopped in Digby but was told the entire Digby fleet could not find scallops at that time so i ended up having clams there but it was like eatting little peices of rubber. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

I like clam chowder, but the way they eat them in Digby..naaaa. not so much.

Nova Scotian logs, eh? Like these? Also Nova Scotia.

Robatoy

haddock though...and fresh scallops..YUMMMM

What, no walleye or pickerel as you Canucks call them.

There was a place in Wheatley that fried up a bunch of corn meal rolled walleye in a cast iron skillet that was to die for.

Could walk there from the dock.

Would sail over at least once a season just for the fish fry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Walleye is probably my favourite fresh water fish. Well... no barramundi is...but so is yellow perch.. all good. I guess barramundi is Australia's walleye.. looks like it anyway..sure is tasty.

BUT....

Fresh haddock, smallish in size, done the way Angela does them is my absolute favourite (next to cold smoked pacific salmon, but we won't tell her.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Fresh haddock, smallish in size, done the way Angela does them is my absolute favourite (next to cold smoked pacific salmon, but we won't tell her.)

That makes a no brainer out of it, at least if you value a warm place to sleep at night.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep, one of the few things we could afford to eat when I had two stripes and was stationed in Anchorage was king crab. Fifty cents a pound. USDA "good" (bet you've never seen grade that low) hamburger in the commissary was twice that hand half fat.

Reply to
George

"Robatoy" wrote

Barramundi from Bundeburg. Second the barramundi ... best perch I ever had! :) Can't believe it's been that long since I had any that I'd almost forgotten about it. IIRC, you can just about shave with the gills ... ouch!

Reply to
Swingman

You know I find is strange about sea-food? Fresh water or salt water? When it's good, there is nothing like it, just excellent. But, boy, when it isn't.........

I guess one doesn't 'age' fish like one 'ages' beef...LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

It's funny. I was born and raised near the waterfront, but I still feel like the biggest problem with fish is that it isn't beef. Of course, I feel pretty much the same way about chicken, but I can really hurt a good pork chop or roast.

Reply to
Charlie Self

You've never had Lutefisk, I take it.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Noo? (I am soooo afraid to ask..... )

When I feel courageous, I might Google.... *bracing myself*

(This is after I heard about what some ethnic people do with carp and such...)

Reply to
Robatoy

Ethnic people? Hell most of Europe considers carp to be a near delicacy. Must be something better about the bottom of their waters than ours...

Reply to
Mike Marlow