O/T: An Observation

As I watched the election returns last night, the cameras panned Romney headquarters in Boston shortly after Ohio has been declared for Obama.

There sat a group of people who were clearly in shock.

A group of people who were approaching advanced middle age, and monolithic in color.

They were all white.

Where were the young people?

Where were the blacks?

Where were the brown skinned people?

Where were the yellow skinned people?

Where were the native American people?

Clearly this group of people did not reflect 21st century America.

The election results truly showed how out of touch with reality the Republican party has become.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No. This election demonstrated that now, more than ever, the looters can steal from the producers to buy votes from the moochers.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Yes, we see some of the same footage here on our UK news broadcasts.

Actually we wonder how American government ever works and even what the policies of the parties actually are.

In the UK we vote for a government (at least in theory) and the leader of the winning party becomes Prime Minister.

In the US you vote for a president who is expected to lead the country yet the government he has to lead can be dominated by members of the opposite party who will fight everything he tries to do.

Sounds as crazy as the sums of money wasted in all the razzamataz of the campaigning

Reply to
Stuart

Well, hardly since last I saw late last night there wasn't but about 1 out of roughly 120 difference in popular vote despite the large swing in electoral votes...it's just that the Demo blocs are centered in the population-dense areas and that dominates.

It's just like the problem in the state here--back in the 70s the population centers managed to get the senate as well as house (these are state houses, here, remember) apportioned on the basis of population as opposed to being weighted by geographical area as they were set up to mimic federal initially. Now we have essentially no representation for about 80% of the state as there is one district that encompasses 70 out of 105 counties in the state. It's what's happening to the US outside the major cities there is effectively no representation as far as the presidential election goes.

--

Reply to
dpb

Listening to my British passport carrying oldest daughter in the UK, things don't sound all that different from here ...

Reply to
Swingman

+1
Reply to
Matt

This is by intent and design. Our Framers were very smart people. They'd just gotten rid of a monarchy and did not want a strong central Federal government. This has withstood the test of time and the judgment of history. IOW, this is a feature, not a bug.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Relatively narrow margin win. It took all those other colored skin people together to beat the white man.

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------- That's the way the game is played.

FDR recognized the power of coalitions.

"Whitey" is getting long in the tooth.

Unless the GOP makes some major changes, they will be history by 2050, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Here's my take: The GOP is going to have an impossible climb to retake the = WH unless they move to the center and embrace the changing demography of Am= erica. On the other hand, the gerrymandered congressional districts will s= till give the right wing a powerful voice in the House. Could we see the e= mergence of a centrist third party to compete with the left wing of today's= Dems and the tea baggers?

Reply to
Gramp's shop

If those in power as of yesterday don't solve the still looming economic issues, it is they who will be history, by 2016.

Blaming it on Bush ain't gonna cut it starting today ...

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:49:08 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Leave it to you to ignore the obvious observation and launch into your own personally pathetic bullshit.

Reply to
Dave

------------------------------------------------------ The structrual damage to the economy caused by Bush has had an affect that will take years to totally recover from.

Improvement, especially the housing market, yes, but total recovery is going to take longer than anyone wants.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They were all over at the Democratic headquarters seeing what new goodies they were going to get; goodies paid for by the guys at the Republican headquarters.

Reply to
dadiOH

When you point a finger, you have three more pointing back at you.

Reply to
Swingman

Spoken like a true Democrat. :~)

Reply to
Leon

+1, and it shows how racist^H^H^H^H^H^Hfocused on race Lew is. (White people aren't Americans?) BTW, I'm white and wasn't shocked.

The REPs should have found an electable guy in the first place.

Connie in '16? ;)

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll drink to that.

She's a much better choice than either Romney or McCain.

Reply to
Roy

It is all a moot point. The Republic died on November 6, 2012.

This is History's verdict not mine. It may many years for the people to see what they have lost on November 6th, but the break in the curve of history will be obviously be in this 8 year period. Just as the break in the curve of the stock market trend line is obviously on September

28, 2008

Just as when looking back at the Civil war it is obvious that Gettysburg was turning point in the Civil War. When looking at World War II, it is obvious that the battle of Midway was a turning point.

The re-election of the social democrats is a a turning point. When the majority of the people of the what was the US, decide the government knows more about running their live, and get government money is easier that working for it, there is not hope. When the people of a storm ravaged area sit around for a week waiting for FEMA, instead of immediately going together and doing it themselves, we are at a turning point.

When we reelect a president who see nothing wrong is increasing the debt over 1 trillion dollars per year we are at a turning point.

When the government sets up sex scandals to insure its version of events gets published we are at a turning point.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:k7lkt6$5k6$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

As you might expect, my view is diametrically opposed to yours. No need to go into details

As for turning points in WW II, the most important one was the capture of the enigma coding machine. Next come the battle of Britain and the cancellation of the invasion of Britain (which would have been a disaster for Germany, I think). Then, the invasion of the USSR was the point at which the Allies were going to be certain of eventual victory, albeit after a long slog, mainly for the Russians. In the Pacific, the turning point was Pearl Harbor, because the American carriers weren't there. The draw in the Coral Sea was extremely important as well, and then comes indeed Midway as the indicator that the tide was turning (remember that breaking the Japanese code was essential). After that, it was an American slog through the Pacific. And I'm surely glad give 'em hell Harry said to drop the bombs.

There is a poppy on my FB page for 11/11.

Reply to
Han