O/T: An Observation

Page 1 of 2
As I watched the election returns last night, the cameras panned Romney headquarters in Boston shortly after Ohio has been declared for Obama.
There sat a group of people who were clearly in shock.
A group of people who were approaching advanced middle age, and monolithic in color.
They were all white.
Where were the young people?
Where were the blacks?
Where were the brown skinned people?
Where were the yellow skinned people?
Where were the native American people?
Clearly this group of people did not reflect 21st century America.
The election results truly showed how out of touch with reality the Republican party has become.
Lew
On 11/07/2012 02:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

No. This election demonstrated that now, more than ever, the looters can steal from the producers to buy votes from the moochers.
On 11/7/2012 3:49 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

+1
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:49:08 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

Leave it to you to ignore the obvious observation and launch into your own personally pathetic bullshit.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:49:08 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

+1, and it shows how racist^H^H^H^H^H^Hfocused on race Lew is. (White people aren't Americans?) BTW, I'm white and wasn't shocked.
The REPs should have found an electable guy in the first place.
Connie in '16? ;)
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 08:01:05 -0800, Larry Jaques

I'll drink to that.
She's a much better choice than either Romney or McCain.
On 11/10/2012 1:19 AM, Roy wrote:

It is all a moot point. The Republic died on November 6, 2012.
This is History's verdict not mine. It may many years for the people to see what they have lost on November 6th, but the break in the curve of history will be obviously be in this 8 year period. Just as the break in the curve of the stock market trend line is obviously on September 28, 2008
Just as when looking back at the Civil war it is obvious that Gettysburg was turning point in the Civil War. When looking at World War II, it is obvious that the battle of Midway was a turning point.
The re-election of the social democrats is a a turning point. When the majority of the people of the what was the US, decide the government knows more about running their live, and get government money is easier that working for it, there is not hope. When the people of a storm ravaged area sit around for a week waiting for FEMA, instead of immediately going together and doing it themselves, we are at a turning point.
When we reelect a president who see nothing wrong is increasing the debt over 1 trillion dollars per year we are at a turning point.
When the government sets up sex scandals to insure its version of events gets published we are at a turning point.

As you might expect, my view is diametrically opposed to yours. No need to go into details
As for turning points in WW II, the most important one was the capture of the enigma coding machine. Next come the battle of Britain and the cancellation of the invasion of Britain (which would have been a disaster for Germany, I think). Then, the invasion of the USSR was the point at which the Allies were going to be certain of eventual victory, albeit after a long slog, mainly for the Russians. In the Pacific, the turning point was Pearl Harbor, because the American carriers weren't there. The draw in the Coral Sea was extremely important as well, and then comes indeed Midway as the indicator that the tide was turning (remember that breaking the Japanese code was essential). After that, it was an American slog through the Pacific. And I'm surely glad give 'em hell Harry said to drop the bombs.
There is a poppy on my FB page for 11/11.
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/10/2012 7:30 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Actually, the "right" of 'everyman' to vote, no matter their contribution to society, therefore enabling the ability to divide by those seeking to further political power/agendas, and to then pander to those divisions for political gain, was the very first, albeit subtle, nail in the coffin of our democratic republic.
You can gasp, rail, gnash your teeth, and cry foul over the obvious result of a supposed cherished belief, but history is proving it to be so ... and that one tweaking of what the founders originally set up will continue to preside over the rapid diminishing of a once unique democratic republic.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 09:02:59 -0600, Swingman wrote:

While I'm sure it will amaze Keith, who's convinced I'm somewhere to the left of Mao, I agree with you.
But going back to "white male property owners" seems a bit much. So what should the criteria be? Federal taxpayers only won't fly, it would disenfranchise a lot of the seniors and the temporarily unemployed.
I'd like to see some requirement to demonstrate knowledge of how the government works in order to register to vote. No more "motor voter". But how do we ensure the test won't be used to keep out minorities as it was in the past?
One thing is for certain in my mind. We need to do away with mail in voting except for justified absentee ballots. If someone can't be bothered to go to the polls, they shouldn't have a vote. I'm in WA where vote by mail started a few years ago and I hate it.
And we need to diminish the power of the two major parties -they've made it very difficult for other parties. And no more gerrymandering - use census blocks for precincts.
Oh, yes - corporations are *not* people!
carrying a cross.

Yes, we see some of the same footage here on our UK news broadcasts.
Actually we wonder how American government ever works and even what the policies of the parties actually are.
In the UK we vote for a government (at least in theory) and the leader of the winning party becomes Prime Minister.
In the US you vote for a president who is expected to lead the country yet the government he has to lead can be dominated by members of the opposite party who will fight everything he tries to do.
Sounds as crazy as the sums of money wasted in all the razzamataz of the campaigning
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 11/7/2012 5:15 PM, Stuart wrote:

Listening to my British passport carrying oldest daughter in the UK, things don't sound all that different from here ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/07/2012 05:15 PM, Stuart wrote:

This is by intent and design. Our Framers were very smart people. They'd just gotten rid of a monarchy and did not want a strong central Federal government. This has withstood the test of time and the judgment of history. IOW, this is a feature, not a bug.
On 11/7/2012 2:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, hardly since last I saw late last night there wasn't but about 1 out of roughly 120 difference in popular vote despite the large swing in electoral votes...it's just that the Demo blocs are centered in the population-dense areas and that dominates.
It's just like the problem in the state here--back in the 70s the population centers managed to get the senate as well as house (these are state houses, here, remember) apportioned on the basis of population as opposed to being weighted by geographical area as they were set up to mimic federal initially. Now we have essentially no representation for about 80% of the state as there is one district that encompasses 70 out of 105 counties in the state. It's what's happening to the US outside the major cities there is effectively no representation as far as the presidential election goes.
On 11/7/2012 2:50 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Relatively narrow margin win. It took all those other colored skin people together to beat the white man.
"Leon" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- That's the way the game is played.
FDR recognized the power of coalitions.
"Whitey" is getting long in the tooth.
Unless the GOP makes some major changes, they will be history by 2050, IMHO.
Lew
Here's my take: The GOP is going to have an impossible climb to retake the WH unless they move to the center and embrace the changing demography of America. On the other hand, the gerrymandered congressional districts will still give the right wing a powerful voice in the House. Could we see the emergence of a centrist third party to compete with the left wing of today's Dems and the tea baggers?
On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:45:00 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 11/7/2012 7:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If those in power as of yesterday don't solve the still looming economic issues, it is they who will be history, by 2016.
Blaming it on Bush ain't gonna cut it starting today ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ The structrual damage to the economy caused by Bush has had an affect that will take years to totally recover from.
Improvement, especially the housing market, yes, but total recovery is going to take longer than anyone wants.
Lew
On 11/8/2012 1:45 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

When you point a finger, you have three more pointing back at you.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010