O/T: An Extended Meaning

Page 1 of 2
The word "Crisp" has many meanings that I associate with it.
Crisp bacon, crisp lettuce, crisp fall air, come to mind, but tonight "Crisp" was given a whole new meaning for me.
Two/Three feet of new snow in the mountains and declining temps over the weekend.
It was announced over night lows of 12F were forecast and described as being "Crisp".
"Crisp" being used to describe 12F weather is a whole nuther world, IMHO.
Oh well, guess that is an extended meaning.
Lew

The local news are masters of creating something out of nothing. And there is nothing like the weather to get excited about. After all, it is located just outside of your window. Talk about a ready made news story!
And any kind of extreme weather?? They go nuts for those type of stories.
We have talked about it before on this newsgroup. Where ever you are in the country, some media types will be reporting the weather like it was some kind of nuclear holocaust soon.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 02:15:09 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Like that new (when I last watched TV) program from The Weather Channel? "It Could Happen Tomorrow", showing all the things Algore had nightmares about, without any supporting evidence whatsoever. It's downright criminal of them to do.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
"Larry Jaques" wrote

WE got some snow this morning. An inch or so. I fully expect the local news folks to go into total crisis mode and convince us of our impending doom.
I remember last year watching them "report" on the snow. There was a reporter out there in the falling snow. And he was trying to "catch" snow flakes. He wanted to show us the snow flakes. He was frustrated that the snow flakes melted before he could show us the snow flakes. Isn't that the kind of thing a 5 year old would do?
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:23:36 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Down here (Alamaba), one of the local radio talk guys has "Live in Fear Doppler Radar" updates. Snow is rare (twice in two years) but bad weather isn't. Well, not so bad this year since global warming was canceled due to lack of interest.

He's a news reporter. Your point?
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:23:36 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Blow it up into another Maine '98, eh? <sigh>

Ayup, but the reporter wasn't that mature.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
On Nov 22, 2:15am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

And yet, nobody talks about the wind on Highway 3 in Nova Scotia...one evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.
On Nov 22, 2:15 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.
Using those cheap headlights again, I see. The new ones just bend and snap right back.
On Nov 22, 2:15 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

And yet, nobody talks about the wind on Highway 3 in Nova Scotia...one evening, the wind blew the beams right off my headlights.
I84 across Wyoming. Any time of year.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Extra crispy????
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:56:58 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I remember being out at the end of run way. I was a below zero morning (rare in North Carolina piedmont). You could hear the F-4s cut the air. That to me is a crisp morning.
Mark
When it is -20 F and you got outside and your nose sticks from one side to the other then it is "Crisp"
The word "Crisp" has many meanings that I associate with it.
Crisp bacon, crisp lettuce, crisp fall air, come to mind, but tonight "Crisp" was given a whole new meaning for me.
Two/Three feet of new snow in the mountains and declining temps over the weekend.
It was announced over night lows of 12F were forecast and described as being "Crisp".
"Crisp" being used to describe 12F weather is a whole nuther world, IMHO.
Oh well, guess that is an extended meaning.
Lew
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:56:58 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

We call it crisp when the snow crunches as you walk on it :-).

On 11/22/2010 1:02 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

We just call that downright cold!!!!

I say it is when the hair in your nose freezes crunchy.
--
Jim in NC

wrote

It's not cold unless the snot freezes to your moustache and forms snotsicles ...

You're right! Surely everyone knows that sort of temperature is more accurately described as 'brisk'?!

There was a time I thought of 12F as crisp - around 1960. Now 45F is crisp.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

----------------------------- Anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation.
Lew
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:58:09 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Spoken like a true Californicator, Lew.
BTDT, got the t-shirt.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim