O/T: Amazing

Page 2 of 10

I am a cynic too, but I do believe in the power of social media ...
--
Best regards
Han

I'm with you on that.

Will it be Twitter or Facebook which saves the planet, Han? <giggle>
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne
On 7/3/2012 8:02 AM, Bruce wrote:

What sort of doctor do you go to, who is able to treat a cold better than you can yourself with OTC remedies?
On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 00:45:45 -0600, Just Wondering wrote

I was thinking of something that requires a prescription (i.e. antibiotics) and ergo, an office visit.
I'm fortunate in that I've only been to the doctor twice in the past 30 years for blood test followups. At work we get biannual 'clinics' where they do basic blood tests and check basic health parameters.
-Bruce

OK, but that is not a cold. Antibiotics are a wonderful thing, but often over prescribed to make a patient happy even if it does no good.

Amen
--
Best regards
Han

However there are bacterial illnesses that resemble a cold. You are being pedantic about the definition.
For most people if their head is stopped up and they have a cough and sore throat, it's a "cold" until they get to the doctor and find out that it's throat cancer complicated by tuberculosis and pneumonia.

Call it what you want. The OP said he goes when his cold get bad. If he wants to expand the definition of his illness, fine, but doctors can't cure colds yet.
Take two aspirin . . . . .
says...

How does the OP know that it's a cold before he sees the doctor? Is he a virologist with a home laboratory?

99.99% of us recognize the symptoms. The hypochondriacs go to the doctor for diagnosis. I know plenty of people that went to the doctor with a cold. They did no lab tests as you suggest, but told them to take two aspirin.
Doctors used to sometimes prescribe anti-biotics to some of these people just to make them feel better, thus they built immunity to them over time.

Best you should see your doctor.

the build a resistance to them http://immune-system.knoji.com/our-immune-systems-how-taking-too-many-antibiotics-has-hurt-us /

You original doctor was probably incompetent; shame that it took a some time to realize that. Some doctors are so you have to take some responsibility for your diagnosis and treatment, do research, get second opinions.

Sorry if I'm infringing on your territory.

That's why my wife hates to make checkup appointments. But if she says she has a problem, she can get an appointment very soon. Of course, if there is a nagging little problem, where on the scale does that fall?
In other words, have you tried saying it is a near emergency to your doctor?
--
Best regards
Han

OK, that's different and yes, a doctor should be seen.

That situation sucks. The facilities we use operate much better. The doctors keep open one or two slits a day for such things. If your primary car physician can't see you, they send you to Urgent Care where they will see you within a couple of hours. Even on a Sunday.
Should none of those be available for any reason, we have two walk in clinics in town, one is open 7 days a week.
Before Medicare, my wife did go to the ER. After treatment, the doctor gave her a choice, she was borderline for admitting but he would put her in the hospital if she wanted. She elected to return home, thus saving the insurance company a bunch of money, but costing me $100 co-pay for an ER visit. If admitted, there was no co-pay.

We have Medicare and a good supplement. There are no additional costs out of pocket so we can go wherever we want for any reason. Nice to know you have the option, even if never used.

Yes!
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

--------------------------------- Isn't that where ObamaCare is headed within 10 years?
Lew
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:45:38 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

For better or worse,, yes.
When I was still under my employer's plan the co-pay for an ER visit went from $100 to $200. I can understand the reason, other options (Urgent Care) are available and should be used. OTOH, I have to wonder if really serious situations are put off because people are afraid of or cannot afford $200.

That's a problem with the system and/or people's perception. There should be walk-in clinics with fairly low charges to the patient, merely to help the patient find out whether there is something bad going on that requires higher level intervention, or something that can be remediated with a simple pain killer. Doesn't really matter whether that is a few slots at the person's regular primary care physician (I'd prefer that), or at a walk-in clinic.
But that would cost you and the "system" probably $200 a pop, or more. Who should pay?
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/6/2012 5:23 AM, Han wrote:

Warren Buffet?
Bruce wrote:

Not "ergo." An office visit for a prescription is not required. My doctor trusts my self-diagnosis and honors my request for prescriptions. I usually fax the request, outlining my symptoms and virtually always his staff calls back in a few hours to tell me the prescription has been called in to the pharmacy.
For example, my last fax was some months ago and quite simple:
"I've got my once-every-five-years bout of sinusitis and need an appropriate antibiotic."
Here's my basic rule: "When I was younger, I went to the doctor when I got sick. In my elder years, I go to the doctor to keep from getting sick." In your case, you should have your doc review your semi-annual blood tests to verify these tests are complete enough for you.
For example, do they test for venereal diseases? Chastic fibrosis (a disease usually found in foxes)? He my suggest some supplementary inquiries.
On 7/4/2012 6:59 AM, Bruce wrote:

That's what confuses me. You said colds. Colds are caused viruses. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections; they don't work on colds and other viral infections.