O/T: Abby Sunderland Rescued!

It was my understanding that these particular beacons were manual. Others would have been activated automatically by water contact. This is one of the reasons her parents believed that she was OK.

What I read said she activated them. Which makes sense. She was reportedly on the satellite phone and was cut off due to the mast/antenna being carried away. Apparently an hour or so later both beacons were activated.
On 6/12/2010 9:50 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

The knockdown could have actuated them though--we don't know that the dismasting was simultaneous with the satphone shutdown.
A lot of assumptions being made, and you know what "assume" does.

Uh, huh. Spent a fair amount of time in both corners.
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 22:46:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

The knock down could NOT have activated them. These were manually activated EPIRBS. The third one on board, which was automatic, would not have activated unless it was at least 15 feet underwater.
The boat wasn't even swamped, much less sinking.

Nope. She activated TWO emergency signaling devices (EPIRB) MANUALLY.
That's how you ask to be rescued at sea.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Hi Dog.
I gave up on the cruising group. Good to see you again.
I've decided not to carry EPBIR.
I'll make it - or I won't.
--

Richard Lamb

There is a problem with that approach. If you go missing without an EPIRB, they will still go looking for you anyway. It just makes the search & Rescue operation infinitely harder, and infinitely more expensive.
On 6/12/2010 7:32 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Yup--the downside of EPIRBs is that once one triggers, if your radio's out there's no way to stop the search until somebody finds you and "rescues" you.