O/T: Abby Sunderland Rescued!

Page 4 of 5
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:49:33 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Amen.
There is no one reading this who could find that mast lying in a field in Kansas and raise it upright in a 5-10 knot breeze. I'm not sure they could do it in still air.
Abby was on a pitching and rolling boat in 30 foot seas and 20-60 knot winds.

I don't believe the boat was capsized, but everything else still applies.
On 6/14/2010 2:03 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Except that a jury rig doesn't involve erecting a 60 foot mast, it involves erecting enough mast to move the boat. It's been done succesefully with a couple of pieces of cut-in-half boom and number three jib rigged so that what is normally the clew was at the head.
You people aren't grasping that what it takes to move the boat and what it takes to achieve high performance are two different things.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:16:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"

You have read too many adventure novels.
What you are proposing is not in the realm of reality.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Indeed, it was the only option remaining which is the point was making to the whomever to seemed to indicate she might not have asked for rescue.
She is, to repeat yet again, _extremely_ fortunate circumstances turned out as did.

Isn't that part of most dangerous exploits these days? With world wide communications available, most believe in the fact that rescue is a message away. Many/most believe that currently medical knowledge has an excellent chance of saving them if they can get help before they're brain dead.
Go back as little as 100 years and something like getting stranded in the middle of the Indian ocean was tantamount as a virtual death sentence ~ for most anyway. Most certainly for a 16 year old girl.
It comes back to my statement that these days most in modern day society believe if you throw enough money and technology at anything, a problem will be solved. That maybe true in a literal sense, but it's not yet true in our current day society.

And among some SAR groups there is a difference of opinion regarding emergency beacons. One school thinks they may contribute to more inexperienced and less well equipped people attempting feats they might otherwise think twice about.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:46:01 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Cites, please!

Personal communications.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:55:23 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Voices in your head?
What SAR groups?

Tut, tut.

Northwest US. Mountain rescue.
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:00:47 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

King Tut?

Cites please!

What part of Personal Communication didn't you understand?
Otherwise, see this for a similar example:
http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2009/12/16/mountain-man-ted-wheeler-on-mt-hood-and-locator-beacons/
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:41:30 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Here's how he summed it up:
My personal recommendation to people would be to carry one, but I would also caution that its not a panacea, Wheeler said. Theres no guarantee that having an MLU is going to lead to a successful resolution of a search.
Hardly agrees with your nutty assertions.

What "nutty assertions"? Here's what I said re beacons:
"One school thinks they may contribute to more inexperienced and less well equipped people attempting feats they might otherwise think twice about."
Wheeler is of the carry it anyway school.

Psychologists likely have a term for it. It's pretty well known that safety equipment often provides the wearer with an unwarranted sense of invincibility.
Marines, returning from war zones, have a statistically higher rate of automobile accidents:
We can track over the last 15, 18 years, and that's as far back as I've gone, but every time you've had a contingency in the world where Marines go out there on the battlefield, when they come back, there's been an increase in traffic fatalities, Dickerson said.
"When they come back, they have walked through the valley of the shadow of death. What we're trying to do is eliminate these young risk-takers from doing something catastrophic and not coming back."
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Absolutely.
Assuming she could have salvaged the boom, she could have used it to jury rig a mast using lines and winches on board.
With the boom rigged as a mast, hopefully the would have been able to rig a tri-sail as a jib.
Might have been able to maintain 1-3 knots forward motion.
By the time all this was accomplished, SAR would and did respond. -----------------------------------------

or whatever else the pieces she has dragging in the water alongside the boat" to rehab/rework the boat into something she could sail, steer and navigate. --------------------------------------- See above.

Cable cutters? I hope so.
Simple hydraulic cutters would do the job.
ENERPAC comes to mind.
Small, light weight, actuated with minimum sourse.
You simply cut away the rigging at the chainplates.
The name of the game it to stay ON the boat. ------------------------------------------------

safe port.
I though he was going to spill his beer he was laughing so hard. ---------------------------------------- That makes two of us. See above. ------------------------------------------

"Have you ever even tried to right a tipped boat of any size, Robert?" ----------------------------------------------- No need, hull was already in normal sailing position; however, only had a stump of a mast remaining. ---------------------------------------------

sorts and sail away. ---------------------------------- Sci-Fi at it's best. ----------------------------------- I was thinking.... now THAT would be your book, movie and speaking engagements... ------------------------------------------- No doubt that will happen, so what? ------------------------------------- I can think of a half dozen sailors who have gone before her, all of then older than 16 when their problems developed. -------------------------------------

rescue beacons. ------------------------- Yep.
Lew
On 6/14/2010 10:47 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

So you spilled your beer at your own observation that she could have rigged a jury mast with her boom?

She lit off her emergency beacons. That is Asking. If you say 'Nevermind!' when rescuers shows up they tend to get really honked!
On 6/12/2010 8:15 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Did she light them off or did they light themselves off? They are designed to self-activate in an emergency you know.