O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 10 of 14
"Robatoy" wrote:
These modern day pirates are after big settlements from insurance companies. I suppose that if the opportunity presented itself, they might hold her for ransom, but they want container ships and tankers. -------------------------------------------------- Actually, a British couple, experienced sailors, deep into their 50s, who basically sold the house and bought a boat to go cruising, are being held for ransom right now in Somalia.
The pirates are demanding $500K, the couple doesn't have it.
They chose to sail off the coast of Somalia and paid the price.
Poor decisions are not limited to the young.
Lew

I am aware of that case and they were fools to go that deep into pirate territory.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:20:52 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Is there a small possibility that SOME of the modern day pirates are also in it for the booty? The challenge? The audacity? The mean spiritedness? [additional questions here]
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
J. Clarke wrote:

And winches, stays, tangs, screws, bolts...all manner of things. Bodies too: cuts, scrapes, concussions, broken bones...
Anyone who has ever sailed a boat knows - or had exceptional luck - that systems *DO* fail, storms or not. The wonder is that they do as well as they do.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Pulley with a crank and a ratchec.

Just ropes.

Just fancy substitutes for knots.

Calling them "systems" doesn't make them any less ropes. As for their failing, anybody who can tie a knot can fix them. If it was really so complicated as to be beyond the abilities of a sixteen year old, how would being an "adult" however you define it make a difference?

You can find an way to remedy for most anything... That is what a sailor does...
In rough seas you slip and fall, break both arms.... now what? Not a far reach of what could happen.
A 16 year old's knowledge of the potential dangers is not as developed as one with longer life experiences.
She should at least be old enough to have a decent understanding of how her life would change should any harm come to her.
On 1/15/2010 9:13 AM, Leon wrote:

Yeah, just watch as a teenage girl goes by, sitting with left leg up on the car seat, texting with one hand, while doing 70mph, all the while 5' from the bumper of the car in front of her, then tell me how much "potential danger" the majority of them understand.
If you drive anywhere other than the grocery store and maintain you haven't seen this ubiquitous phenomenon with young female drivers, then +you+ damn sure aren't paying enough attention while driving either ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm on the wrong side of town to be interested in watching young female drivers while on the way to the store these days. I don't like the mixed flavors. More likely to happen in your neighborhood. ;~)
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:13:48 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

It that happened to anyone, they might die, regardless of gender or age. Or they might figure out how to open the bags of tuna and eat them off the floor. YMMV. (There's an idea for stocking your BOB, huh?)

True, but knowledge doesn't necessarily mean the older person will know WTF to do when something strange happens. A crafty young person might well do better than a sedate old fart.

Tell ya what: You do that with your kid and let these fine folks raise their own the way they (and she) see fit. Deal? Good. ;)
Your opinion is noted. Their opinion is being acted upon. It's now a moot point, wot?
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Noooo problem, I was simply agreeing that I thought the parents were nuts for letting a youngster go and do something that few with far more experienced and knowledgeable have done. Then every one wanted to defend the childs maturity and knowledge. The child will probably do fine. But if something happened to my child I would blame myself forever for not being responsible as a parent. It is only common sense, which seems to be lacking here, to try to protet your children. Yeah your child stands a much greater chance of being hurt on land because they are going to spend 99% of their lives on land but on land help can be given and you do have to live some where. You have to pick your battles. Picking one where a child is alone for months on end performing a balancing act with mother nature would not be a wise one IMHO.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:56:10 -0500, "J. Clarke"

If it's no one's business, then what are you doing here talking about it?
Clarke, you're quite the hypocritical asshole, aren't you.

For give him, he just needs attention, something that he probably missed out on in his childhood. He probably cannot help it.
Leon wrote:

ROF,L. You're the one begging for attention by telling people how horrible is is that someone who very likely has more offshore experience than you're ever in your life going to get is doing wrong by going for a sail.

The Sunderlands firmly believe that all they need is prayer to solve all their problems.
J. Clarke wrote:

You can even climb Mt Everest today with a little experience and $60,000. Not at all like it was when Hillary did it. www.himex.com for details.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yup.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You definitely WILL NOT sail around the world for $60,000.
The toughest part is not the sailing, but getting the sponsors.
Having talked to a couple of people who have done it, sponsorship is the biggest hurdle.
Lew
Lew
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:59:25 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

A buddy of mine circumnavigated in a 27 foot boat. Took him four years. He wasn't in a big hurry. It wasn't a cheap 4 years, even though he did it on a tight budget. That's a lot of wear and tear on the boat, and of course you also have to eat, and pay all sorts of "fees" anywhere you land. He didn't have any sponsors to speak of. One factor is that once you circumnavigate, you can make money doing appearances and lectures. You can also write magazine articles. My friend is also an artist, and he painted all during the voyage. His paintings now go for much higher prices than before he circumnavigated.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

That's why I'm going to climb Everest instead. Just trying to save a few bucks.
Leon wrote:

And how does being `18 or 28 or 180 make a difference when that happens?

Neither is a 40 year old's. So what?

I see. So how old would that be? And what is so special about sailing that she shouldn't be allowed to do that while she is allowed to cross the street and risk getting hit by a drunk driver?