O/T: Abby Sunderland

The Sunderlands firmly believe that all they need is prayer to solve all their problems.

Reply to
salty

You can even climb Mt Everest today with a little experience and $60,000. Not at all like it was when Hillary did it.

for details.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
salty

So says the self-acknowleged "retarded bullfrog".

Reply to
salty

I'm not so sure. Kids are exposted to many more situation than we were as kids, but being around a lot of technology and perhaps more experiences does not always make them more mature. Typical teenager has more possisions than we had, may have been to Disney World, has a cellphone, has a Facebook page, but that does not make them any better equipped to make serious decisions about their life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The question is irrelevant. We aren't talking about choice of companions for a trip, we're talking about how much experience one should have before undertaking the trip at all.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yup.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'd flip a coin. What the one person has done in five years may be far superior to the person that has been exposed to this type of trip for 20 years. The more years experience "usually" translates into being better equipped in a tough situation, but sometimes youth and agility work better than wisdom and creaky joints. Too many variables here to pick a clear advantage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:07:17 -0500, "J. Clarke"

And as usual, you tap dance (very poorly I might add) around the fact that age always gives one experience. A teenager is not fully grown, not fully mature and simply enough, not as experienced as she or he might be with a few years of adulthood under their belt. Besides practical experience which you seem to be focused on, there's emotional and life experience. Both these things contribute to the practical decisions that are made. There's your problem and what you are failing to admit.

*That's* what you're refusing to acknowledge and it's exactly that fact that shoots down any premise that you can offer for this girl to be fully competent on this lark of a voyage.
Reply to
upscale

Flip a coin eh? Bullshit! Your life is going to be on the line. As well, you're adding variables to change the equation. Nice attempt, making the 35 person sound weak and incapable, but that's just you changing the equation.

IF it helps you, both are in excellent health and the 35 year old has much more accumulated experience. Which are you going to pick now?

Reply to
upscale

I know one thing. If I had to choose a companion for circumnavigation I'd take Abby Sunderland or Jessica Watson over Leon any day. And I'd take Abby's 18 year old brother over _anybody_ on this newsgroup.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:57:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I suspect we'd all appreciate it if you actually went on such a trip. Oh, and make it as soon as possible will you?

Reply to
upscale

You take them that old?

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL ... based on the above, being the absolute mother of self delusion, there is NO doubt they wouldn't have you anyway.

Reply to
Swingman

Actually I was yanking Lew's chain a bit. Forgive me Lew...;~)

I have not been on sailboats much but am aware of that the bigger ons somethmes come with... Grew up 3 miles from salt water and have always live within 60 miles of the salt water. It is hard to miss seeing the boats. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

============================== Indeterminite.

Does the 5 year person have 5 years experience or 1 years experience 5 times?

Does the 20 year person have 20 years experience or 1 years experience

20 times?

Questions, questions.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You definitely WILL NOT sail around the world for $60,000.

The toughest part is not the sailing, but getting the sponsors.

Having talked to a couple of people who have done it, sponsorship is the biggest hurdle.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have logged more ocean miles in sailboats than Abby's brother. A lot more.

Reply to
salty

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

I have no regrets.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks, Lew. I was going to ask the exact same question.

Reply to
salty