O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 8 of 14
"J. Clarke" wrote:

There is no AAA roadside service at sea.
If you expect others to save your ass with a SAR mission, you may/will have a long wait.
It's a big ocean out there.
Prudent seamanship is your best chance of not needing outside assistance.
Lew

ahhh.. the voice of reason.... you have restored my faith Lew. Good on'ya
"Leon" wrote:

Single handing a 30 ft boat, on the Great Lakes, an average of 1,500 miles/year, for 10 years will do that to you.
Lew

Kinda relates back to a few that believe that because they observe all the safety rules and are always paying attention will never have an accident in the shop... They just don't have enough experience to know that they don't know what they don't know. ;~)
Leon wrote:

And you might want to note that he is not whining about how thoughtless Abby's parents are for letting her do something that they believe to be well within her abilities.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

So what?

Nobody expects to have their ship sunk. But the whole SAR system exists for a reason.

Yes, it's a big ocean, but one doesn't have to search the entire ocean, one just has to locate a signal.

Nobody has said otherwise. But it you think that "prudent seamanship" guarantees that one will always be safe and you spend much time on the water you're going to get a big fat surprise one day.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:43:25 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

Through thick clouds? <g>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Used to write software to read the USSR versions ...
LDosser wrote:

I don't really see what Larry thinks that "thick clouds" would have to do with the transmission of radio signals. Maybe he doesn't understand how an EPIRB works.
scrawled the following:

Oops, I thought the RSAT part was for Radar Satellite as in RORSAT, which is what I was writing SW for. They watched us and we watched them watching us.
LDosser wrote:

=========================EPIRB as in Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.
Found on aircraft and ships.
Each one is unique and registered.
Lew
Lew
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:16:45 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

I was thinking KH-class sat "pictures", I was.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
scrawled the following:

Those were some interesting birds. Gnat on a fly's ass ...
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:15:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

I bow to your considerably deeper experience with it.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Turns out it wasn't so deep ... :(
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:09:17 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

Yeah, we all had entirely different versions of sats in mind. Hmm, was any of us right? (one implied)
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

I pity your kids.
Apparently you don't have kids...

Leon wrote:

Or maybe I just don't keep them bundled up in cotton so that when they turn 18 and they have to deal with the big bad drill sergeant they'll be ready.

Or maybe you don't have kids.
Leon wrote:

By your logic the Sunderlands don't have kids.