O/T: Abby Sunderland

What you need to understand is that you can't protect your kids from everthing forever. A time comes when you have to let them start taking chances. You don't seem to think that 16 is old enough. The Sunderlands, who know a mighty shitload more about teenaged circumnavigation than you are ever going to know, disagree with you.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Or maybe I just don't keep them bundled up in cotton so that when they turn

18 and they have to deal with the big bad drill sergeant they'll be ready.
Reply to
J. Clarke

SFWIW:

Abby is scheduled to leave tomorrow; however, we have a series of winter storms headed into SoCal which will put the winds on her nose and build the waves again on the nose.

May have to wait until next week end.

She at the mercy of mother nature.

BTW:

Murphy's third law: Mother Nature is a BITCH.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

ahhh.. the voice of reason.... you have restored my faith Lew. Good on'ya

Reply to
Leon

............. I am speechless. You actually shot your self in the foot.

Reply to
Leon

Ahhh, the voice of reason rings out again!

Careful there Lew. There's a couple here that would consider that there comment, fight'n words.

Often an unforgiving Bitch.

Reply to
Leon

Single handing a 30 ft boat, on the Great Lakes, an average of 1,500 miles/year, for 10 years will do that to you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Kinda relates back to a few that believe that because they observe all the safety rules and are always paying attention will never have an accident in the shop... They just don't have enough experience to know that they don't know what they don't know. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Or maybe you don't have kids.

Reply to
Leon

She'd cut their nuts off!

Reply to
LDosser

ROF,L. You're the one begging for attention by telling people how horrible is is that someone who very likely has more offshore experience than you're ever in your life going to get is doing wrong by going for a sail.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So what?

Nobody expects to have their ship sunk. But the whole SAR system exists for a reason.

Yes, it's a big ocean, but one doesn't have to search the entire ocean, one just has to locate a signal.

Nobody has said otherwise. But it you think that "prudent seamanship" guarantees that one will always be safe and you spend much time on the water you're going to get a big fat surprise one day.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And you might want to note that he is not whining about how thoughtless Abby's parents are for letting her do something that they believe to be well within her abilities.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By your logic the Sunderlands don't have kids.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Most of us will only ever wish we had a kid as mature and successful ...

Reply to
Swingman

Since you spoke in response to that one it didn't leave you speechless. I note that an earlier post _did_ leave you speechless.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Still a poignant story, Lew ... wished I had the means to insure that the passion lives on.

Reply to
Swingman

On the odd chance that he said something worth hearing I googled that post.

My response is to quote a favorite expression of a man who served 28 years in the Navy, several years in the Coast Guard before that, and I don't know how long as a merchant seaman before that, and who until it got lost in a move had in his possession a hand-carved model of the Gertrude L. Thebaud, presented to him by the crew on the occasion of his being transferred to the Pacific after serving aboard her on the Mid Atlantic Submarine Patrol.

"Go pee up a rope". Or, to make robatoy happy, I will amend that. _He_ should go pee up a _line_.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:12:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Why don't we put this into terms that your limited intellect can understand?

You're going on a dangerous and life threatening trip. You will be taking one person with you that is experienced in this type of trip. You haven't met either one of them before.

All you know is that one of them has five years experience and the other has twenty years experience in this type of trip.

Which one are you going to ask to accompany you? Pick one and explain your reasoning for that choice.

Reply to
upscale

I can tell you right now that there are too many variables for him to decide or he will not understand the question at all. Because he very seldom has anything to really contribute to the group I did it to him again, saves space.

Reply to
Leon