O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 7 of 14
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

exactly. bringing us back to the OP question:

my point being, as a group, the 2 aren't comparable. one, or both, as you state, may not even be obtainable.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:35 -0600, the infamous Swingman

There are far fewer distractions. No friends in the seats around you, no other vehicles, no trees, no boys walking by (for her), no need to stay behind the wheel.
I'd still love to see the stats if anyone can dig 'em up.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
On 1/15/2010 11:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

As I stated before, lack of experience and mature judgment is a function of AGE, not activity.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And like I said, she's already out there. Find your own acceptance of that fact and you'll be happier. ;)
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

I think you forgot to add the possibility storms, and 40' waves..
Leon wrote:

And how, exactly, are 40 foot waves a problem? And storms are a part of life at sea. So what?

Yawn,,,,,
"Leon" wrote:

40' waves and storms are a given, most probably higher than 40', but boat is designed to handle them.
Just make sure the jack lines are secured, and your harness line is attached.
Lew

That is all you have to do??? Just make sure the jack lines are secured and your harness line is attached?
That simple statement will cover every possibly thing that could or has ever happed gone wrong while in high seas?
That sound a bit naive doesn't it?
"Leon" wrote:

===============================Actually it is about as basic as remembering to tie your shoes and making sure your pants are pulled up.
If you don't remain secured to the boat, you probably won't have a chance to do anything else.
Lew

I don't believe the risks are so much the problem here as are how to get out of a problem should you get into one.
Walk home, get mugged, get hit by a car, you have a reasonably good chance of being seen and taken to a hospital should you survive...
Sail around the world, sink your boat in the middle of nowhere and then what?
Risk is not so much the problem as is correcting the damage should a problem happen.

Leon wrote:

and how is that different if the person is 46?

Jeez..... It may not be any different if the boat sinks. But let me ask you this? You you rather it be you rather than your 16 year old daghter that goes down with the boat? Why?

Jeea... :~)
It may not be any different if the boat sinks. But let me ask you this? Would you rather it be "you" or your 16 year old daughter that goes down with the boat? Why?
Leon wrote:

Many parents would rather it be them than their kid when anything bad happens. So what?

Do you have any friends in school that might be able to explain this in words you may understand?
Leon wrote:

What you need to understand is that you can't protect your kids from everthing forever. A time comes when you have to let them start taking chances. You don't seem to think that 16 is old enough. The Sunderlands, who know a mighty shitload more about teenaged circumnavigation than you are ever going to know, disagree with you.
Leon wrote:

You trigger your EPIRB and wait for rescue of course. It's the 21st century you know.
And how do you get rescued when you get nabbed by a pimp and shot full of drugs?

So how do you get rescued from being run over by a bus?
I pity your kids.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

===========================You may have quite a wait in parts of the South Pacific where if you are lucky, you may get a scheduled air line fly over once a day, and sattelite coverage is spotty.
Prudent seamanship beats technology every time out of the box.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

What is your point? All the seamanship in the world doesn't help if today is the day that the sea has decided to kill your ship. And there is no ship that the sea cannot kill when it is in the mood. And it doesn't matter if you have a sixteen year old girl at the helm or a 40 year veteran Navy captain.
The SARSAT satellites are in polar orbit--their coverage is not "spotty".