O/T: Abby Sunderland

I too have worked around horses most of my life, it seems that teenage girls like to think of horses as friends and pets, they are neither.

Me and SWMBO recently got a Belgian Warmblood from a horse barn that catered to young riders. This guy is 17.4 hands and 3/4's ton of bad attitude, an animal like this requires constant vigilance when handling, he will hurt you.(but he can also jump a 4 ft. fence without blinking) I can't imagine a 17 yr old of either gender being able to handle this horse.

Three day eventers "have to own a crazy horse" it's in the rules.

Disclaimer: I no longer ride, I consider myself too old and fragile.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

no. i mean that you're not going to be spilling a slushee whilst texting and talking to the other 4 teens in the car in crowded rush hour traffic at 60 mph tailgating trying to find the right tune on your ipod whilst trying to put on makeup in mid-ocean.

Reply to
charlie

then you prove your counter argument.

lack of experience for a 16 y.o. isn't this case, as it is in a new driver at 16 y.o. she has been sailing for at least 10 years and has the experience.

comparing her to a driver with 10 years of driving experience would be comparable.

Reply to
charlie

I answered your question and am not going to go farther since you are insisting in staying this loop.

See Robatoy's answer to you,, he sum's it pretty nicely.

Reply to
Leon

And after 10 years of driving everybody has all the experience they'll ever need and have absolutely nothing else to learn?

If that's true, then tell me how two people over 30 with 10+ years of driving experience can get into a car accident with each other? By your standards, the accident should never have happened. Explain that to me please.

Reply to
upscale

I don't believe the risks are so much the problem here as are how to get out of a problem should you get into one.

Walk home, get mugged, get hit by a car, you have a reasonably good chance of being seen and taken to a hospital should you survive...

Sail around the world, sink your boat in the middle of nowhere and then what?

Risk is not so much the problem as is correcting the damage should a problem happen.

Reply to
Leon

My favorite horse idiocy tales revolve around the propensity of urban raised females, even older ones, refusing to geld their colts.

LOL ... you got that right.!

I just haven't had the opportunity the past twenty years or so.

That said, although it is blurry as hell, the below is my 86 year old Dad, just this past November (09), putting a "handle" on one of his race track retreads that will no longer race, but may be handy around the farm!!:

blurry and brief as it is, a true horseman will appreciate the supple grace of his "seat" even at that age ... although I kidded him a bit about his feet being too far forward ... until he said "Here, show me!". :)

A true horseman will also notice this horse is not all that happy with being trained, by his demeanor under saddle, and his tail twisting.

My Dad will probably ride til the day he dies.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm on the wrong side of town to be interested in watching young female drivers while on the way to the store these days. I don't like the mixed flavors. More likely to happen in your neighborhood. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I was totally totally unaware that there were only "Somalia" pirates, I was under the assumption that pirates might be any where.

Reply to
Leon

Great example...

I suspect that if it is an American, USA, child that dies, the sponsors, boat builder, electronics suppliers, and government will be held responsible by the parents attorney. And with the current governemet administration, sailing will be out lawed all together. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

and how is that different if the person is 46?

Reply to
charlie

Actually, that isn't directly comparable. The average person, once they have their driver's license doesn't spend every moment they are driving, trying to improve their skills and knowlege. The average sailor never stops trying to learn more and improve their sailing. Comes with the territory.

Reply to
salty

it's either called an accident, or neglicence on one or the other's part.

given that statement, then no one should never go out in a boat since they would never have enough experience.

we're not comparing 2 30 year olds against each other in this case. you're asking about the insurance company statistics of comparing people with similar years of experience at their individual tasks. i doubt that a person sailing in mid ocean is going to collide with someone driving.

Reply to
charlie

the topic under discussion is insurance statistics and comparing general population individuals. they also don't know if the average driver has stopped learning (they wouldn't know that i have years of high speed car racing experience with multiple racetrack classes, for example, which may make me a bit safer than the average driver). they would only compare similarly aged drivers against each other, with modifications as to years of driving experience, lack of prior accidents, ticket history, and perhaps other non-related things like credit score.

Reply to
charlie

Jeez..... It may not be any different if the boat sinks. But let me ask you this? You you rather it be you rather than your 16 year old daghter that goes down with the boat? Why?

Reply to
Leon

Jeea... :~)

It may not be any different if the boat sinks. But let me ask you this? Would you rather it be "you" or your 16 year old daughter that goes down with the boat? Why?

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:15:34 -0700, "charlie"

You've got to be kidding me? How about a collision with a big wave? Boats get swamped all the time when their skippers don't or *can't* or misjudge a big wave in a storm. And, it even happens when there isn't a storm.

At this point, I have to believe you're trolling Charlie. I'm gone from this thread.

Reply to
upscale

Bzzzzt ... do us all a favor and DAGS to prove to yourself that "lack of experience AND immature judgement" DUE TO AGE, IS the reason for the increased cost of motor vehicle insurance for 18 - 25 year olds ...

This is inarguable, so quitcher arguing.

Reply to
Swingman

how is this different if the skipper is older?

?

i'm simply pointing out that what you think you're arguing about isn't consistent. you changed arguments midstream, bringing up a comparison which isn't pertinent.

Reply to
charlie

but isn't that the whole point of this argument? in this case, she DOES have the experience, negating the comparison in age between her and a new driver. she is NOT a new sailor, whereas a new driver DOES have a lack of experience due to their age.

Reply to
charlie