O/T: Abby Sunderland

LOL!

Nawww.. the pirates would tie her to the mast and skilfully cut away her clothing, bit-by-bit while their parrots would scream "ARRRRRGGHHHHH" and they'd lift up their eye-patches and stare her in the eyes as one of them lifts up her chin with his hook, drooling.. just then......<<<carrier lost>>>>
Arrrrgggg
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Tania Aebi circumnavigated in a smaller boat starting at 18. And she did have parents--they gave her the choice--sail this boat around the world, go to college, or we're cutting you off. She took the boat. Why they offered her that particular choice I have no idea. Was a good one though--she got a lot of life experience, a writing career, a husband, a cat, and a Hell of a tan out of it. However officially it didn't count as a solo circumnavigation because she gave somebody a ride between two islands somewhere in the depths of the Pacific. She had no prior sailing experience to speak of.
Robin Lee Graham started his circumnavigation at 16 in a 24 foot boat and traded it for a 33 footer along the way.
Right now there's another 16 year old girl halfway around on a circumnavigation.
Abby is sailing an Open 40, which is purpose-designed for singlehanded circumnavigation, which puts her well ahead of Tania and Robin at the start. And her parents seem to be behind her 100 percent on this.
My view is that she's lucky to be able to get that particular bug out of her system at an early age, and no matter what she goes into it's going to look damned good on her resume.

Just another example of what would otherwise be a noble adventure of personal achievement in the privacy of the open ocean, cheapened by the blogging, hype, and orchestrated media involvement into nothing more than a publicity stunt for milking "pop culture" of the perceived rewards of '15 minutes of fame' ... barely half a peg higher than the balloon boy's.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

This.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A 16 year old has a 40' sail boat, racing or not? I must have been doing something wrong.

At least it is summer down there.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Wouldn't that be cool?
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Here is how a few of us see this adventure...
CRACKEY! That particular alligator resting on the bank of this pond is the most dangerous in the world! And this one is older and therefore wiser, he had to be to have survived this long. His temperament is very unpredictable and at any moment he could strike out at me with the force and speed of a raging locomotive and I would have little chance of escape.
I'm going to I will poke it with this short stick!
Ohhhhhhhh... that sting ray just stabbed me in my heart with his barb....
Well Mate, lets plan a world adventure on the high seas. Lets plan the trip to do it alone as to gain recognition. Lets do it with out a motor so that we will be at the mercy of the sea. Although the trip will lead to some of the oceans most dangerous regions, this will only add to the hype and excitement that will be generated. Fans will watch with excitement like NASCAR fans do. When will there be a wreck or when will there be a storm??? The excitement and unforeseen elements will be too numerous to count. We will be at natures mercy.
Lets let our 16 year old daughter make the journey.
Ohhhhhhh.... We prey she fairs well and with out harm.

A budding Amelia Earhart in the making. I wonder what kind of shit will come down the pipe when one of these kids dies out there?

Great example...
I suspect that if it is an American, USA, child that dies, the sponsors, boat builder, electronics suppliers, and government will be held responsible by the parents attorney. And with the current governemet administration, sailing will be out lawed all together. ;~)
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I know nothing of power on a sailboat.
The backpackers now have some super filtering divices for water. I beleive they use ceramic filters. Iunderstand that themilitaryhave these too. They filter out everything. Any way that something like this could be adapted to sailing?
Also, couldn't some solar panels and a little wind device be used to charge batteries?
Also, if you were sailing around the world, wouldn't you catch some fish to eat now and then? And would you have a way to cook it?
Lee Michaels wrote:

No. You have to remove dissolved salt, which filters cannot do.

Only if you're becalmed. Abby isn't sailing your father's cruiser. An Open 40 can sustain 10 knots and hit 20 when she's got enough wind to drive her. Catching fish at that speed would be quite an adventure.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:54:25 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

You bet. Dad and I traveled (flew) to Puerto Vallarta in '84, we took the ferry over to La Paz, and found out that the water was drinkable there. No trots! The entire city was served by a huge desalination plant.
The bay, OTOH, was a filthy, stinking sewer. They didn't treat sewage and the city sewer outlets flowed directly into the bay. It was gawdawful.
I went snorkeling 13 miles down the road in pristine, crystal-clear water at Pichilingue Beach. When I reached down for a piece of broken coral, I couldn't pick it up. I then kicked for it and missed. When I dove for it, I found that what looked like it was within reach was actually over ten feet down! Amazing!
Anyway, they have reverse osmosis machines in all sizes, for hikers, sailors, and cities.

Ayup. Or pedal powered generators to charge battery banks?

Ayup, and only if you didn't want to eat it raw, respectively. (Ewwwwwww!)
Anyone else read _Life of Pi_? An eastern Indian boy is trapped on a lifeboat with a bengal tiger for 133 days. Fun story. It was primarily fiction, but the author mentioned fish behavior in it.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
REPOSTING
============================ "Lee Michaels" wrote:

===============================Basic problem with salt water is the salt.
R/O development for almost all applications are under constant development.
The biggest problem to overcome is the huge amount of power required to get clean water because of the high pressure membranes used.
===============================> Also, couldn't some solar panels and a little wind device be used to

===========================Very common and as development continues, marine solar panels are finding an ever bigger market.
Cost and required space are the limiting factors.
Wind mills have been around for years, but they have some problems.
Physically you have to mount them someplace away from people and they require 15-20 knots of wind to produce any real power. ===============================> Also, if you were sailing around the world, wouldn't you catch some

==============================Fishing for food is rather straight forward.
A couple of hundred feet of clothes line, 10-20 ft of steel leader, some surgical tubing and some jigs and some down weights.
Definitely keep a pair of gloves handy.
Trail the rig.
When you catch something, keep going for 15-20 minutes to drown the critter, then a gaff and a baseball bat to finish the deed.
You eat a lot of fish for a couple of days, but without a reefer, that's it.
Propane stoves take care of cooking, dehydrated food solves the need for a reefer.
Lew
"Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------- http://sites.google.com/site/lewssailboat /
Just about covers it.
Lew
On 1/16/2010 12:38 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Still a poignant story, Lew ... wished I had the means to insure that the passion lives on.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------------- Hey that's life.
You pays your money, you takes your chances.
I have no regrets.
Lew
SFWIW:
Abby is scheduled to leave tomorrow; however, we have a series of winter storms headed into SoCal which will put the winds on her nose and build the waves again on the nose.
May have to wait until next week end.
She at the mercy of mother nature.
BTW:
Murphy's third law: Mother Nature is a BITCH.
Lew

Ahhh, the voice of reason rings out again!

Careful there Lew. There's a couple here that would consider that there comment, fight'n words.

Often an unforgiving Bitch.

Actually I was yanking Lew's chain a bit. Forgive me Lew...;~)
I have not been on sailboats much but am aware of that the bigger ons somethmes come with... Grew up 3 miles from salt water and have always live within 60 miles of the salt water. It is hard to miss seeing the boats. ;~)