O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 12 of 14

Actually, only a few of the "ropes" on a boat are called ropes. Ropes or wires that hold up masts are collectively known as standing rigging and are called shrouds or stays (the stay connecting the top of the mast to the bow is called the forestay or headstay).
Ropes or wires that control the sails are known collectively as running rigging. Those that raise and lower sails are called halyards. Ropes that adjust (trim) the sails are called sheets. These are often referred to using the name of the sail they control (eg. "main sheet", or "jib sheet").
Ropes used to tie the boat up when alongside are called docklines. There are some ropes: A few examples, the bell rope (to ring the bell), a bolt rope (attached to the edge of a sail for extra strength), a foot rope (on old square riggers for the sailors to stand on while reefing or furling the sails), and a tiller rope (to temporarily hold the tiller and keep the boat on course).
J. Clarke wrote:

*Wire* ropes. With turnbuckles. ___________

Fine, let's see you make a knot in 7x19 wire rope. _____________

Fine, let's see you make a knot in 7x19 wire rope. Obviously, you know zero about sailing. _____________

It isn't the age so much as the (probable) lack of experience. For example...
1. To/from Catalina with others.
2. Crusing off shore to/from La Paz with others
3. To/from Hawaii with others.
3. All the above single handed.
Like that.
Experience (and common sense) really *does* count. I recall a fellow years ago that was - IIRC - near Ecuador. He dropped and broke his sextant. They found him nine months - *NINE MONTHS* - later out in the middle of the Pacific. He was still alive, subsisted on rain water and (mostly) plants and critters that grow on the bottom of boats. He had no idea where he was.
If he had any experience and the sense that god gave geese he would have known that you can sail downhill most anywhere in the world and hit land.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Sense is especially lacking around these parts. Many figure...well hell, it's a LAKE, right? (Lake Huron)

*I* happen to know that South Texas is too hot for chocolate streets. I think you are pulling our legs.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:11:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

*I* thought his hyperbole was dismissive and stupid. ;)
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

So a couple of years more mature/grown up does not make them wise.

LOL... Now what parents don't think that their child is the smartest, prettiest, bla bla. Her parent may be idiots compared to her. She the child may very well rule the roost as many teenagers do.
Leon wrote:

So how old in your expert opinion does one have to be in order to be "wise"? And when are you going to hit that age?

But not yours of course.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:56:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

That's true, but they're potentially closer to wise at that age than we were, and we all survived the wild shit we pulled, right?

After all I've read from you on this subject, Leon/Swingy/Naily, all I can say is "Were your mothers 'scared by a boat' when they were pregnant with you?" <bseg>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm not so sure. Kids are exposted to many more situation than we were as kids, but being around a lot of technology and perhaps more experiences does not always make them more mature. Typical teenager has more possisions than we had, may have been to Disney World, has a cellphone, has a Facebook page, but that does not make them any better equipped to make serious decisions about their life.
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:06:17 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

I'm with you, J. It shows how much the parents trust her and how intelligent they believe she is. It's surely a character builder. But that's not what the Nanny State wants. <shrug>
OTOH, if (Somali!) pirates do get her, the parents will be _crucified_ in the media.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
scrawled the following:> I'm with you, J. It shows how much the parents trust her and how

Exactly,,, reminds me of the "baloon boy" parents.. those that don't think too far ahead.

As if any one but she and the pirates would ever know, I highly suspect the secrets would go down with the boat, and as if the pirates cared what any one thought.
Leon wrote:

And why would Somali pirates be operating 2500 miles from Somalia anyway. Seems an awful long way to go to nab a teenager in a small sailboat--they'd have to pass up an awful lot of more profitable freighters and tankers to get there.
But if they did we might very well know about it--wouldn't put it past her to set up a live feed.

I was totally totally unaware that there were only "Somalia" pirates, I was under the assumption that pirates might be any where.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:07:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

They are. I had just brought them up for -fun-, a bit earlier in the thread.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Leon wrote:

Pirates operate where there's profit to be made. That means shipping channels. There's precious little shipping in the Antarctic Ocean.

You do realize..for God's sake I hope you realize, that to "G o A r o u n d T h e W o r l d" it requires a voyage through several oceans.....
I can't teach you every thing....that should have "your" parents responsibility.
Leon wrote:

No, it doesn't. You don't even know what these girls are planning, do you? This isn't going to be one of those deals where they sail to some place and hang out for a while and sail somewhere else and hang out for a while. They're both hitting the Antarctic Ocean (also called the "Southern Ocean" and several other names) as fast as they can, then staying there for the major part of their voyage, then returning home. Jessica Watson has it easy--she starts there and finishes there. Abby Sunderland has to take a long run down the Pacific first, then back north on the return, so her route is longer. But both are going to be way the Hell out in the middle of an empty ocean for almost their entire voyages.
You would know this if you had actually LEARNED SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT THEY WERE PLANNING instead of starting in right away with the ignorant criticism.

You don't have anything to teach a retarded bullfrog.

............. I am speechless. You actually shot your self in the foot.
Leon wrote:

Since you spoke in response to that one it didn't leave you speechless. I note that an earlier post _did_ leave you speechless.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:42:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"

So says the self-acknowleged "retarded bullfrog".