O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 11 of 14

What? Were we talking about 28 or 180 yearold people sailing? You are changing the subject.

Do you have kids? If you do,, did they always make their own decisions with out any of your input? Did you "ever" veto their decisions? Why?

Answer this. Would you rather you or your child go into a dangerous situation.
And what is so special about sailing that

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 16 year old sailing. Did I say that a 16 year old sailing was a problem or was that you changing the landscape of the situation. It's the months on end around the world that adds the element of danger.
And if you cannot see the point.... it further clairifies your mentality.
Crossing the street only takes seconds of your time to pay close enogh attention to what you are doing. Sailing alone around the world require continuious attention. A better example to compair to would be to have your 16 year old daughter walk alone in a seedy part of town late at night, every night, for several months.
Leon wrote:

The subject is that some how "more experience" will allow people to deal with breaking both arms in the middle of the ocean. If you think that please explain how someone "older with more experience" would deal with it.

Do you have employees in their forties? Do they always make their own decisions without any of your input? Did you "ever" veto their decisions? Why?
Doesn't matter how old you are there's always somebody with more "life experience". If you defer all your decisions until you are the one who has the most life experience then you don't do _anything_.

Answer this--if you child enlisted in the Marines would you be having this kind of tantrum over it?

And yet you're raising this huge hue and cry over it.

So what is the problem then?

I see. So how long should a 16 year old be allowed to sail? Minutes? Hours? Days?

I see the point just fine. The point is that you're a busybody who wants to tell complete strangers how to live their lives.

Which is small consolation to the dead.

And yet hundreds of people have done it and all them spent significant portions of their voyages not paying attention to anything.

So how old should one be before being allowed to "walk alone in a seedy part of town"? And would it make a difference if they were boys instead of girls? And how would being 18 make them safer?
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:12:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Why don't we put this into terms that your limited intellect can understand?
You're going on a dangerous and life threatening trip. You will be taking one person with you that is experienced in this type of trip. You haven't met either one of them before.
All you know is that one of them has five years experience and the other has twenty years experience in this type of trip.
Which one are you going to ask to accompany you? Pick one and explain your reasoning for that choice.

I can tell you right now that there are too many variables for him to decide or he will not understand the question at all. Because he very seldom has anything to really contribute to the group I did it to him again, saves space.
Leon wrote:

The question is irrelevant. We aren't talking about choice of companions for a trip, we're talking about how much experience one should have before undertaking the trip at all.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:07:17 -0500, "J. Clarke"

And as usual, you tap dance (very poorly I might add) around the fact that age always gives one experience. A teenager is not fully grown, not fully mature and simply enough, not as experienced as she or he might be with a few years of adulthood under their belt. Besides practical experience which you seem to be focused on, there's emotional and life experience. Both these things contribute to the practical decisions that are made. There's your problem and what you are failing to admit.
*That's* what you're refusing to acknowledge and it's exactly that fact that shoots down any premise that you can offer for this girl to be fully competent on this lark of a voyage.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:41:55 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

So what are your qualifications for persons considering circumnavigation, Uppy? I'd like to hear them.
It doesn't seem that anyone has them, listening to you 3 naysayers.
I'm an AGWK skeptic, you three are circumnavigation skeptics. Small world. ;)
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Not once have I stated that she didn't know what she was doing in her sailboat. The point I've been trying to get across all this time is that age, maturity and experience all contribute to how one makes decisions. That's an important factor whether you want to admit it or not.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:55:35 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

We all acknowledge that, but some of us choose to live life in spite of the wisest, most mature, most sane options. _Spice_, mon!
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I'd flip a coin. What the one person has done in five years may be far superior to the person that has been exposed to this type of trip for 20 years. The more years experience "usually" translates into being better equipped in a tough situation, but sometimes youth and agility work better than wisdom and creaky joints. Too many variables here to pick a clear advantage.

Flip a coin eh? Bullshit! Your life is going to be on the line. As well, you're adding variables to change the equation. Nice attempt, making the 35 person sound weak and incapable, but that's just you changing the equation.
IF it helps you, both are in excellent health and the 35 year old has much more accumulated experience. Which are you going to pick now?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know one thing. If I had to choose a companion for circumnavigation I'd take Abby Sunderland or Jessica Watson over Leon any day. And I'd take Abby's 18 year old brother over _anybody_ on this newsgroup.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:57:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I suspect we'd all appreciate it if you actually went on such a trip. Oh, and make it as soon as possible will you?

You take them that old?
On 1/16/2010 10:57 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

LOL ... based on the above, being the absolute mother of self delusion, there is NO doubt they wouldn't have you anyway.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I have logged more ocean miles in sailboats than Abby's brother. A lot more.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:13:57 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"

I'd pick that sailor guy from Schute's _Trustee_, myself.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Does the 5 year person have 5 years experience or 1 years experience 5 times?
Does the 20 year person have 20 years experience or 1 years experience 20 times?
Questions, questions.
Lew
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:45:48 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Thanks, Lew. I was going to ask the exact same question.

Best comment in this thread!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."