O/T: Abby Sunderland

Exactly,,, reminds me of the "baloon boy" parents.. those that don't think too far ahead.

As if any one but she and the pirates would ever know, I highly suspect the secrets would go down with the boat, and as if the pirates cared what any one thought.

Reply to
Leon

The older people should have a better understanding of the risks.

The difference is maturity and over all knowledge. Regardless of experience in a particular field, age gives the advantage of "life in general" experiences. With age comes better decisions, typically a person does not become less experienced with life in general.

All things being equal older more mature people have more life experiences to help them make better decisions. They have more information from repeated experiences to know what they are getting into.

Reply to
Leon

Here is how a few of us see this adventure...

CRACKEY! That particular alligator resting on the bank of this pond is the most dangerous in the world! And this one is older and therefore wiser, he had to be to have survived this long. His temperament is very unpredictable and at any moment he could strike out at me with the force and speed of a raging locomotive and I would have little chance of escape.

I'm going to I will poke it with this short stick!

Ohhhhhhhh... that sting ray just stabbed me in my heart with his barb....

Well Mate, lets plan a world adventure on the high seas. Lets plan the trip to do it alone as to gain recognition. Lets do it with out a motor so that we will be at the mercy of the sea. Although the trip will lead to some of the oceans most dangerous regions, this will only add to the hype and excitement that will be generated. Fans will watch with excitement like NASCAR fans do. When will there be a wreck or when will there be a storm??? The excitement and unforeseen elements will be too numerous to count. We will be at natures mercy.

Lets let our 16 year old daughter make the journey.

Ohhhhhhh.... We prey she fairs well and with out harm.

Reply to
Leon

Pulley with a crank and a ratchec.

Just ropes.

Just fancy substitutes for knots.

Calling them "systems" doesn't make them any less ropes. As for their failing, anybody who can tie a knot can fix them. If it was really so complicated as to be beyond the abilities of a sixteen year old, how would being an "adult" however you define it make a difference?

Reply to
J. Clarke

And why would Somali pirates be operating 2500 miles from Somalia anyway. Seems an awful long way to go to nab a teenager in a small sailboat--they'd have to pass up an awful lot of more profitable freighters and tankers to get there.

But if they did we might very well know about it--wouldn't put it past her to set up a live feed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You can find an way to remedy for most anything... That is what a sailor does...

In rough seas you slip and fall, break both arms.... now what? Not a far reach of what could happen.

A 16 year old's knowledge of the potential dangers is not as developed as one with longer life experiences.

She should at least be old enough to have a decent understanding of how her life would change should any harm come to her.

Reply to
Leon

How does "better understanding of the risks" remove the risks? And how old do you consider to be "old enough"? Hillary Clinton has a mighty shitload of life experience but if she was in the middle of the ocean in a boat and some gang of pirates decided to rape her exactly how would she use that experience to protect herself?

But I really don't understand why people are on about rapists and murderers and pirates. Pirates tend to work close to shore, not in the middle of the Antarctic ocean. And if you were looking for a teenaged girl to rape and murder where would you go, the middle of the ocean or the nearest mall?

Maturity and overall knowledge do not beat a faster boat and superior firepower. The adult male crews of the various large ships that have been taken by pirates in recent years seem to have been unable to apply that "maturity and overall knowledge" in such a way as to prevent the piracy, so it would seem to be a moot point.

What do you bet that by the time they get home these two girls will have more life experience than most people twice their age? How much "life experience" would you consider to be the minimum before one is allowed by you to go sailing?

I see. So your average stockbroker from Omaha has had repeated experiences crossing oceans on small sailing vessels?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Actually, only a few of the "ropes" on a boat are called ropes. Ropes or wires that hold up masts are collectively known as standing rigging and are called shrouds or stays (the stay connecting the top of the mast to the bow is called the forestay or headstay).

Ropes or wires that control the sails are known collectively as running rigging. Those that raise and lower sails are called halyards. Ropes that adjust (trim) the sails are called sheets. These are often referred to using the name of the sail they control (eg. "main sheet", or "jib sheet").

Ropes used to tie the boat up when alongside are called docklines. There are some ropes: A few examples, the bell rope (to ring the bell), a bolt rope (attached to the edge of a sail for extra strength), a foot rope (on old square riggers for the sailors to stand on while reefing or furling the sails), and a tiller rope (to temporarily hold the tiller and keep the boat on course).

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, just watch as a teenage girl goes by, sitting with left leg up on the car seat, texting with one hand, while doing 70mph, all the while 5' from the bumper of the car in front of her, then tell me how much "potential danger" the majority of them understand.

If you drive anywhere other than the grocery store and maintain you haven't seen this ubiquitous phenomenon with young female drivers, then

+you+ damn sure aren't paying enough attention while driving either ...
Reply to
Swingman

Nawww.. the pirates would tie her to the mast and skilfully cut away her clothing, bit-by-bit while their parrots would scream "ARRRRRGGHHHHH" and they'd lift up their eye-patches and stare her in the eyes as one of them lifts up her chin with his hook, drooling.. just then......>

Arrrrgggg

Reply to
Robatoy

That would NEVER, NEVER happen...NEVER!

Reply to
Robatoy

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:26:19 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Has anyone figured out what the differences in risks are between: A) Walking home from work in a large/medium/small/rural city. and B) Circumnavigating the globe at age 16?

I don't have time for the search, but I hope someone does and gives us the stats.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:56:14 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

Posting a proposed route also gives pirates her location, potentially negating that safety margin. :/

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A budding Amelia Earhart in the making. I wonder what kind of shit will come down the pipe when one of these kids dies out there?

Reply to
upscale

Don't know about that, but the insurance industry can damn sure give you the stats for how lack of "experience" and mature "judgment" justifies the increased cost of insuring 18-25 year old while operating motor vehicles.

I can't imagine this statistical fact somehow magically disappearing at sea.

Reply to
Swingman

These modern day pirates are after big settlements from insurance companies. I suppose that if the opportunity presented itself, they might hold her for ransom, but they want container ships and tankers.

Reply to
Robatoy

A better understanding of the risks means that you often don't take that risk in the first place. That's something that age and experience can give you.

Along the same lines, a better understanding of the risks might mean that you've had other risks similar to the one that's at hand and have a better chance of knowing how some risk might turn out.

A better understanding of the risks might mean that you have the knowledge to use a different method to attenuate the risk and not experience injury.

Kids don't have the maturity and experience to better balance the pros and cons of a particular risk. Adults are generally far better equipped because of experience and observation than the brashness and inexperience that a younger person would not consider.

As an example, I used all sorts of drugs when I was a kid, because I just didn't understand the risks. Now that I'm older, I'd never consider doing some of the stuff now that I did then. Not because I had a particularly bad time because of drugs, but because over the years, I've observed other people going through hell because of them. My age and experience tells me what is sensible. Go ahead and refute my experience.

Reply to
upscale

apples to grapefruit comparison. the two aren't comparable. the distractions to driving and the quick changing road environment simply aren't there in mid-ocean.

Reply to
charlie

You mean because of inexperience, you can't mismanage the operation of a sailboat and swamp it or turn it over?

Reply to
upscale

Horseshit! ... lack of experience and mature judgment are factors of age, not type of activity.

Reply to
Swingman