O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 1 of 14
Must be the weather.
Abby Sunderland, 16 year old sister of Zak, a 17 year old circumnavigator, departs on Saturday from Marina Del Rey, (Los Angeles) in her 40 ft racing sail boat, headed for the horn.
She is a few months younger than Jessica.
Lew
Imagine...
A young girl on a 40 ft boat all alone in treacherous waters.
http://www.modbee.com/life/buzzz/story/1006871.html
The sheer stupidity of this is unimaginable, and since the governing sailing bodies won't certify her results, why bother? (I don't believe a 17 year old girl will be able to pull of the standard "because it was there" horse crap.)
I think our local newscaster with tow girls of his own said it best:
"For Gawd's sake; doesn't this girl have parents?"
Apparently not.
Robert

As records for 'The Youngest' keep being challenged, at some point in the future it will have to be a 6-year old who sets sail.

No kidding.
Leon wrote:

It amazes me that people are finding fault over this. While we want to believe that 16 year olds are children they are only so because we force them into that mold--Alexander the Great was successfully commanding armies at that age. This particular girl has a dream and the means to carry it out and if you read her blog you'll know that she's thought it through and gotten a good deal of relevant experience and made a careful choice of equipment and is not operating on a shoestring budget, so what is your _problem_?
On 1/14/2010 10:06 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

>>> "For Gawd's sake; doesn't this girl have parents?"

Your gullibility?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Kids that age also totally believe that they are invincible. Suppose a hurricane blows through.... or pirates, they would have a ball with her....literally, that is my problem..
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:43:25 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

How is that different from a young couple, an old man, or a middle aged woman on the high seas? Most people on the ocean believe that and pirates take on all comers, regardless of age or gender.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

The older people should have a better understanding of the risks.
The difference is maturity and over all knowledge. Regardless of experience in a particular field, age gives the advantage of "life in general" experiences. With age comes better decisions, typically a person does not become less experienced with life in general.
All things being equal older more mature people have more life experiences to help them make better decisions. They have more information from repeated experiences to know what they are getting into.
Leon wrote:

How does "better understanding of the risks" remove the risks? And how old do you consider to be "old enough"? Hillary Clinton has a mighty shitload of life experience but if she was in the middle of the ocean in a boat and some gang of pirates decided to rape her exactly how would she use that experience to protect herself?
But I really don't understand why people are on about rapists and murderers and pirates. Pirates tend to work close to shore, not in the middle of the Antarctic ocean. And if you were looking for a teenaged girl to rape and murder where would you go, the middle of the ocean or the nearest mall?

Maturity and overall knowledge do not beat a faster boat and superior firepower. The adult male crews of the various large ships that have been taken by pirates in recent years seem to have been unable to apply that "maturity and overall knowledge" in such a way as to prevent the piracy, so it would seem to be a moot point.

What do you bet that by the time they get home these two girls will have more life experience than most people twice their age? How much "life experience" would you consider to be the minimum before one is allowed by you to go sailing?

I see. So your average stockbroker from Omaha has had repeated experiences crossing oceans on small sailing vessels?

That would NEVER, NEVER happen...NEVER!
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:18:08 -0500, "J. Clarke"

A better understanding of the risks means that you often don't take that risk in the first place. That's something that age and experience can give you.
Along the same lines, a better understanding of the risks might mean that you've had other risks similar to the one that's at hand and have a better chance of knowing how some risk might turn out.
A better understanding of the risks might mean that you have the knowledge to use a different method to attenuate the risk and not experience injury.
Kids don't have the maturity and experience to better balance the pros and cons of a particular risk. Adults are generally far better equipped because of experience and observation than the brashness and inexperience that a younger person would not consider.
As an example, I used all sorts of drugs when I was a kid, because I just didn't understand the risks. Now that I'm older, I'd never consider doing some of the stuff now that I did then. Not because I had a particularly bad time because of drugs, but because over the years, I've observed other people going through hell because of them. My age and experience tells me what is sensible. Go ahead and refute my experience.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:22:29 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

What part of "Her parents have already thought it through, decided to let her go, and she's on the high seas now." bit did you guys miss?

I've survived a few bad choices (alcoholism, smoking, driving drunk, minor bits with minor drugs, climbing anything I could, thrill seeking, etc.) and some of it has formed into character. Other portions formed regrets. Risks are part of life. Children of all ages <g> choose poorly at times. So what? Life goes on.
Are you saying that her parents forgot to consider risks?

Bwahahahahahaha! I loved that "some" part. I wonder which drugs you're still taking and what stuff you're still doin'...
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Snip

Larry,, ;~) I think they baloon boy's parents could use you right about now in their defense.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:22:44 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

AFAIK, Abby's parents aren't the criminal type. The balloon boy's parents showed that they are. What's the final bill presented to that idiot? Or did they just jail him. I don't watch TV so I didn't see how it ended. <sigh>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

IIRC he did have to pay a fine.... maybe, but again IIRC it was way low and almost insignificant.
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

------------------------------------- Jail + probation time for BOTH husband and wife as well as a $50K civil assessment to cover SAR expenses.
BTW, no TV, there is always NPR.
Lew
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:47:33 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

$50k might pound it into his head to never try that again, but only if some media asshole doesn't come up with it as a bribe to get him to write the book about it. (See -why- I turned off the TV?)

No,no,no, Lew. You misunderstood. I called DISH and said "NO MORE OF THIS 500 CHANNELS OF NOTHING! Come take your crap away."
As to NPR, I'm a liberally moderate conservative who doesn't listen to it. Thanks anyway.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Not to sweat it, judge has that covered.
=========================> As to NPR, I'm a liberally moderate conservative who doesn't listen

--------------------- You choose to keep your head where the moon doesn't shine, that's your loss,
Lew
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 06:39:27 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Oh, good. It wouldn't be right if he were to profit from some scam like that.

My 25th AA birfday is on July 10th, when I'll celebrate a quarter century without any moon shinin' in me.