O/T: A Punch In The Gut

Page 1 of 3
The Subject says it all, especially today.
Just received notice that an acquaintance of mine lost her son in a motorcycle accident last night here in SoCal.
No other details available yet.
As a former motorcycle rider, I often wonder how I got out without being hurt or killed.
It was during my junior and senior years in high school.
Sold the bike to go to college.
Rode from April thru Oct.
Winters in Ohio are not for motorcycle riding.
Still remember the line in my yearbook, "He has two loves, his motorcycle and the hardware store."
Lew
Half a dozen of my friends lost their lives in motorcycle accidents when I was a young adult.
One had to have his legs rebroken nine times to straighten out his hips and knees after accepting his only one ride home on a motorcycle. Yeah, it was the other driver's fault for the accident and he was almost dead right. After 40 years of hobbling he has developed some internal organ cancer that will fix all his suffering once and for all. Now two of my sons have scooters. What can you do?
----------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
The Subject says it all, especially today.
Just received notice that an acquaintance of mine lost her son in a motorcycle accident last night here in SoCal.
No other details available yet.
As a former motorcycle rider, I often wonder how I got out without being hurt or killed.
It was during my junior and senior years in high school.
Sold the bike to go to college.
Rode from April thru Oct.
Winters in Ohio are not for motorcycle riding.
Still remember the line in my yearbook, "He has two loves, his motorcycle and the hardware store."
Lew
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:45:09 -0400, m II wrote:

Yes, motorcycles can be dangerous. They're also a great deal of fun. I'm 75 years old. I've been riding since I was 14. I've been in situations on a bike that could have killed me if I'd been in a car, and vice versa. And for many of the early years I, like everyone else, rode without a helmet.
But a great deal of it depends on the rider. I owe a lot to the guy at the dealer who taught me how to ride. After I got pretty good tooling around a big meadow, he told me to get going about 35, lay the bike down, and get off. I was horrified at the thought of bending or even scratching my brand new bike. I was told if I didn't, I would not be allowed to buy the bike! I learned :-). Can you see the lawyers going into hysterics if a dealer did that today?
The other thing he kept telling me was to always assume that if another vehicle could do something to cause me to wreck, it probably would. In other words, be paranoid :-).
There's also the Hurt report of a few decades back that found something like 80% of one vehicle motorcycle accidents involved a rider on his first or second ride on a new bike - regardless of how experienced the rider was. I kept that in mind every time I got a new bike.
BTW, the majority (I don't recall the percentage) of accidents involving another vehicle was a car turning left or pulling out in front of the motorcycle. See above - ride paranoid.
So there are things one can do to lessen the risk. But I wouldn't give up all the enjoyment I've gotten for all the safety in the world.

One of my best friends was riding his big road bike home in the middle of the night when he was rear ended by a distracted semi driver. His death sealed it with my wife about my desire to get another cycle. When we were married 33 years ago, we needed a new fridge and stove and I volunteered to sell my bike. Flash forward 10 years and I am flush with some unexpected cash and ask her to come with me bike shopping. "You've got two kids ... you can't have a motorcycle." After a bit of negotiating, she agrees I can have a bike when the kids graduate from college.
Ten days after I paid my daughter's last tuition payment, I bought a sailboat, but I still had cycle fever. A few years later, we were in Hawaii and I rented a Harley for a ride around Maui. I gave her two instructions: hold on and don't touch the tailpipe. She ignored the latter and nearly needed a skin graft on her ankle.
In my pocket right now is a raffle ticket for a Harley 883. Yah, I'm 66 but I still want that bike. And a thickness sander.
Larry
On 6/18/2012 12:28 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Computer simulators should be able to satisfy all that adrenaline addiction soon.
-------
"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
[...]
NOOOOOO Not the same...
If you ride a full dresser you are right.
But if you ride an unencumbered bike... there is nothing that can simulate that feeling.
On 6/18/2012 10:43 PM, Josepi wrote:

On 6/18/2012 9:25 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Six years ago I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic - Very Black and Lots of Chrome. Wonderful machine.
One afternoon a young girl driving daddy's Lincoln Navigator suddenly realized she missed her exit and dove for it.
Sideswiped me at about 45 mph in the exit.
It speed-wobbled but didn't go down - I stiff-armed out of it.
But that was the last ride.
I kept the bike for another year - kept trying to ride it. But it wasn't fun anymore. It scared me being in traffic of any kind.
I sold the bike and bought a sailboat. (!) http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress /
Never missed the bike.
I wouldn't mind having a thickness sander either.
:)
Richard

You could have bought a power boat that burns 25+ gallons an hour at $5 a gallon and had more fun.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Before you are allowed to own and operate a stink boat, you have to be certified as having only two (2) brain cells and at least one (1) of them is dead.
Lew
On 6/19/2012 3:19 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I dunno, Lew, you may be on to something there. From what I've seen of them anyway... :)
I wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

As Bill Pinkney observed when he stopped in OZ on his way around the world.
"The milling of the Searays is the same the world around."
Lew
On 6/18/2012 9:25 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

My Sportser was stolen about 28 years ago ... all said and done the asshat might've done me a big favor.
But ... I do get the yearning now and again, especially when driving the mountains in AR on a beautiful day.
Then, I get in my truck, deal with all the asshats on the road these days, and think, Naaaah!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/19/2012 7:46 AM, Swingman wrote:

I had'a a 73 XLCH Sportster
On 6/19/2012 10:42 AM, Leon wrote:

79 XLS
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

When I got my insurance settlement I thought about getting another bike. Then I thought about the titanium rods in my femurs & the crazy loons on the road and bought an excavator. Not very fast but it sure makes work around the property a lot more fun.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/H20Slider/Equipment/P10000291.jpg
Mike M

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:28:02 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Mike M
Nice Land Cruiser. Looks in good shape...
I wish I had that Kubota... I could use it..
On 6/19/2012 6:23 PM, Mike M wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:24:52 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

upholstry.
Mike M
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:23:27 -0700, Mike M

In THAT case, here's a way you can have some GREAT fun. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=CuGBpwnWW2I