O/T: A Prognostication

The Congress will not pass a bill to raise the federal debt by

08/02/2011.

As a result, President Obama will execute an executive order to raise the federal debt on 08/02/2011 per terms of the 14th amendment.

Obama will not allow default to happen.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

THe 14th simply says that the bond holders have to be paid. It doesn't say that anyone else does.

There need be no default. If there is, it's *purely* Obama's choice.

Reply to
krw

Except for the minor fact that the 14th Amendment does not allow him to do that. You really need to read it "all" for yourself, rather than just taking someone's word for it.

Its kinda like the phrase that is supposed to be in the First Amendment, but isn;t. You know, "Seperation of Church and State."

Liberals keep makings claims, which for a liberal makes it true, irrespective of reality. Of course, if you are a liberal you really don't like dealing with that nasty subject anyway, because it messes up otherwise perfectly good claims and agnedas.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

"Dr. Deb" wrote in news:3YydnRM2FbgapK_TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

I'm a proud liberal, though a fiscal conservative. I believe in a balanced budget, but also in deficit spending in times of need for such. I do NOT believe there will be a default. The idiots in Congress WILL get to a last minute compromise. Until now everyone in Congress and the administration (pfft on you too) has just been posturing (hey, they are politicians!). The idiot TP members (what else does TP stand for besides Tea Party?) may not understand compromise, but that'll make them excellent 1-term people makinf a point. The idiot free-spenders will get their one-comeuppance (sp?) too. Someone will finally notice that we have a simple choice. Generate jobs (=spending which=inflation) or unemployment (=depression). The alternative is to also generate revenue. I'm a biochemist (retired), not an economist, but then I'll pay any single one economist a grand prize of $2.== for finding the solution ...

Reply to
Han

Oh there will be a resolution, all of those critters up there is Washington know full well that if they don't come up with a plan or agreement that it will be political suicide for them all regardless of which party held out.

Reply to
Leon

Why should he do any different than in the past when the government was shut down for several days because the party in power failed to do their job and did not properly manage the budget and caused a need to raise the budget limit.

His disapproval rating 4% than his approval rating (Real Clear politics Poll which is a composite of about 8 other polls.) Most of the country disagrees with his policies. Is there any wonder why he is against the short term solution that would bring his 40% (about 50% in a year) increase in the national debt before the public just before the election.

Reply to
k-nuttle

There will be NO "default" regardless of what Obama, congress, et al says/does and despite what the rating agencies may proffer (which is strictly opinion with no legal weight), all this is strictly political theater.

The reality is that you are being strummed like an out of tune guitar ...

Reply to
Swingman

Interestingly, the Constitution is much like the Bible. It doesn't mattery what it SAYS; the only thing that counts is what it MEANS.

In the non-Catholic tradition, interpretation of scripture is left up to the individual, guided by the Holy Spirit. Many Protestants carry over that technique to the reading of the Constitution.

In fact, the Constitution is more like the Catholic methodology: It is the Supreme Court (Holy See) that is charged with deciding what is meant, not the individual in the pew.

That said, should Obama invoke some evanescent power via the 14th Amendment, a couple of extreme things will result: a) An immediate appeal will be taken to a federal court, who will be completely flummoxed since the judiciary REALLY does not like to meddle in the operation of another branch, and/or b) Somebody will introduce an impeachment motion in the House that will NOT be dismissed out of hand.

I can see it now: The military, getting no paychecks, march on Washington much like the Bonus Army of 1932 except there will be no Douglas McArthur to confront them with tanks and bayonets. Instead of having their wives and children along, granny ladies without Social Security checks will be carrying the pitchforks and the poor who can't get Medicaid will be carrying the torches. The SEIU will provide the T-shirts and the AFGE will provide cold drinks.

Finally, we will be living in interesting times.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then obama declares a state of emergency, declares martial law and becomes the dictator for life as he would like to be.

Reply to
k-nuttle

In other words, meaning lies within the perview of the reader and not the author. Interesting. So what you are advocating is a rebellion with the military marching on Washington. That could get you charged with sedition, which is a somewhat serious thing, in case you did not know.

Before you respond, I was not serious in the above. I was merely using your hermeneutical prinicple. Its amazing how quickly liberal politics, theology and philosophy are abandonded when those prinicples are brought to bear on us and our posiitons by our opponent. :-)

Deb

HeyBub wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I would like to think so. However, other than a TV slot the other night, he has been pretty much an active non-participant so far.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Here's some predictions:

  1. This crisis will serve only to further polarize and alienate the adherents of the two political parties. Calculus on both sides suggests this is the path they must tread to be re-elected. One side will be wrong.

  1. There will be a viable third party candidate in 012. Like Perot, he or she will not win, despite offering a valid, unbeholden to historic promises approach to solving our current and longstanding issues.

  2. The US will continue to decline into second-class nationhood due to our inability to act with a consistent reasoned long-term strategy.

  1. Idiots will continue to come out of the woodwork and poison the debate.

D'ohBoy

Reply to
SconnieRoadie

The Congress will not pass a bill to raise the federal debt by

08/02/2011.

As a result, President Obama will execute an executive order to raise the federal debt on 08/02/2011 per terms of the 14th amendment.

Obama will not allow default to happen.

Lew

I added this to a letter to our "leaders": Any responsible citizen must have a budget, stick to that budget or face the fallout... If I live beyond my means (as the government and many people have done) my credit rating will plummet, and rightfully so. To repair it I must pay down my debt, stop borrowing additionally and force myself to live within my means. If I do not, only bankruptcy can "save" me, but I don't believe our Nation has that fallback.

I am disappointed in the members of the Republican Party that abandoned "Cut, Cap and Balance Plan"

As to extending the Ceiling date beyond 2012, why should we... it is unpleasant business to be sure, but let's get it dealt with sooner rather than later.

Salary of the US President ...................$400,000 Salary of retired US Presidents .............$180,000 Salary of House/Senate ........................$174,0?00 Salary of Speaker of the House ..............$223,500 Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders ........ .$193,400 Average Salary of Soldier DEPLOYED IN IRAQ..$38,000

Let the above be put into the Social Security for retirement, and under the VA for medical insurance. And who else in the work force can give themselves raises? I think we found where some of the cuts should be made !

Ben Franklin warned that if we let being a Legislator become a profitable position, we soon would have only profiteers filling the seats... seems like he hit it on the head!

Reply to
Tom B

That that is an entirely likely scenario, considering the efforts at "divisiveness", I could not agree more!

Reply to
Swingman

The 14th Amendment does not permit the President to do that: "The validity of the public debt of the United States, AUTHORIZED BY LAW, shall not be questioned ... [emphasis mine]" -- the point being that any debt above the current ceiling is NOT "authorized by law".

If Congress fails to act, he has no choice.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Exactly, they will simply print more money and water down the dollar even more.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, you tell 'em, if the Founders really wanted separation of church and state then why did they put "In God We Trust" on the money?

"I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.

But, lest it should be supposed that I believe in many other things in addition to these, I shall, in the progress of this work, declare the things I do not believe, and my reasons for not believing them.

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine The man of whom it was said (by John Adams), "Without the pen of Paine the sword of Washington would have been wielded in vain."

Reply to
DGDevin

Late in Bush's second term some left-wingnuts were pushing the idea that Bush was planning to stage a false-flag terrorist attack on the U.S. so he could suspend the 2008 election and hold onto power indefinitely so among other things he could attack Iran.

And now we have you claiming Obama wants to declare martial law and become dictator for life, proof (if any were needed) that when considering left-wingnuts and right-wingnuts, the operative word is "wingnut".

Reply to
DGDevin

LOL, did you just accuse HeyBug of being a liberal?

This should be fun.

Reply to
DGDevin

snipped-for-privacy@example.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:j0unet$tlh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Didn't the 14th amendment predate the law that limits the national debt? If that is so, then the SCOTUS needs to speak as to whether the later law is constitutional ... Or did SCOTUS?

Reply to
Han