O/T: A Milestone

Page 3 of 8
snipped-for-privacy@davisbajasplinters.com says...

What a great idea! Then we can keep the administration we have now until somebody other than NOTA wins! <vbg>
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Hmm. I think "placeholder" salaries should be capped at a flat $12K with no expense reimbursements and a strictly-enforced "no gifts" rule. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

No problem. The CE's salary isn't much more than "token" anyway.

Pretty hard to have a "no expense reimbursement" policy on the prez. Wouldn't that make it a pretty hard to pay 1600 PA's light bill? ...and good time to make war on the US? There already is a "no gifts" rule, not that the previous holder of the job thought too much of it.
--
Keith

"l job?

Go vote for a third party candiate, You put in a protest vote, You have the right to bitch, You don't help either of the party candiates, You have your say. What could be better this year?
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:59:06 -0500, "Curran Copeland"

My current stance is something like "You folks can elect anyone ya want, just don't invade Mexico"....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I don't think you have all that much to worry about on that score but what about Mexico invading the U.S.<G>? Rod

Might be a good idea, if done right... Remember the book/movie "The mouse that roared?
Lots of foreign aid pouring in... cool!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Whenever an absolute monarch becomes less than absolute, you get career politicians.
    mahalo,     jo4hn

I guess I'm thinking of the first few presidents... In my admittedly low knowledge of history, it seems that they got talked into running, served their time, then got back to running their plantations or whatever...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

..
Last Govenator race here in NJ I did a write-in. You should still vote even if it is not for one of the 'two' choices.
mac davis wrote:

Instead of not voting at all, use your vote to send a message. Vote for a third party candidate, or make a write-in-vote. I'm with you, I don't want either Obama or McCain. But it's going to be one of them anyway. I live in a state where the outcome is a foregone conclusion, so the "lesser of two evils" doesn't need my vote. So this time I plan on doing what I suggested to you. If the Libertarian or Green candidate actually got say 10% of the popular vote, it may not change the outcome of the election, but just maybe the major parties will start listening.

Living in Mexico now, I guess my interests/concerns are different.. Just not anyone running that's worth my absentee ballot..
I guess that age is a factor in my view of politics, too.. Over the years, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of difference between the screwing I've gotten from Dem's or Repub's....
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Vote for the Libertarian Party instead. They would welcome your vote and as a whole represent what I feel to be a nice split between the Democrat and Republican parties. Don't let the "But they won't win" boogeyman scare you - it isn't about winning, but picking a candidate you feel best represents your country. If more people voted that way, the two party system would be history and candidates would have to shift their focus to issues and governance - rather than personality and appearances.
I fully intend on voting for them this time around, I certainly vote for them during county elections, and vote for at least a few in state elections

That may be my choice also. Many third parties are considered the lunatic fringe but the Libertarians are a way of making your voice heard. We really need a good strong third party to shake things up. I happen to agree with much of the Libertarian philosophy.
Nader may again be a spoiler, but for who?

See my rant above, re:NOTA ;-]
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's not the color of his skin, it's his qualifications for the office. It may be a "milestone" but I see it as a major disservice to the country to nominate an unqualified candidate.
Just Wondering wrote:

"Age and Citizenship requirements-US Constitution, Article II, Section 1
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."
Thats it. Those are the requirements for being President.
Rita and Neil Ward wrote:

Those are the minimal constitutional requirements. Are you suggesting that every single person who meets those requirements is actually qualified to be the chief executive of the federal government?
Just Wondering wrote:

They are not minimal: they are the only requirements under our constitution. Yes every person who meets those requirements is qualified to be the chief executive of the federal government.
Abraham Lincoln had less than one full year of formal education in his entire life.
Woodrow Wilson was a political novice who had held only one public office before becoming president.
Harry Truman was the last president without a college degree, served as vice president just 82 days when sworn in as president of the United States.
Rita and Neil Ward wrote:

Thinking like that is scary.