O/T: 79 Pound Carp

Just ran a piece on TV about a guy catching a 79 pound carp with a bow and arrow in Iowa.

Anywhere close to you Morris?

Listed as a predator fish in Iowa.

By chance this the same species raising so much hell in the Illinois river?

Can certainly relate to this guy.

As a high school kid, had a 50 pound lemon wood reflex bow with hunting arrows that I used to try to hunt cap.

Emphasis on "TRY", never shot one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not this year. :)

I didn't see the story, but I'll guess that it was on the Mississippi or the Missouri Rivers - and both /normally/ stay far away from this area.

I hope not! If they get into the Mississipi, then they'll also infest the Ohio and Missouri (and the Wabash and...) and then all we'd need would be a salt water adaptation to infest the Gulf.

79 pounds is a lotta fish! Imagine having a couple dozen that size jump into your boat when you were trolling...
Reply to
Morris Dovey

The ones in the Illinois were brought in illegally to be served in restraunts and escaped into the water way system.

They are like a flying fish in that they jump out of the water and into the boats.

Last I heard, they are trying to contain in the Illinois.

Think they may have tried dynamite, but not sure.

If they are not successful the entire US inland water way system, including the Great Lakes is vulnerable.

Which is why I asked the question about being the same as the flying carp.

My dad grew up along the Ohio River long before they built the levees.

Told me lots of stories about 100 pound catfish being caught using ground hog for bait, a Jon boat for drifting, clothesline for fishing line along with 1 gallon Karo Syrup cans for bobbers.

Catch one of those big boys and you just sat back and let the catfish take you for a boat ride until it got tired.

During the spring floods, the big catfish would swim out into the flooded fields, then get trapped the waters receded.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As children we use to catch carp that came up the creek from the Maumee River in northern Indiana.

How does this carp differ from the native carp?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Lew Hodgett wrote: : Just ran a piece on TV about a guy catching a 79 pound carp with a bow : and arrow in Iowa.

What was a carp doing with a bow and arrow?

Reply to
Andrew Barss

So did I. A local sport was "bobbing" for channel cats. Put a doughball on a hook with a sinker and about 4 feet of line and tie it to the neck of a gallon jug. Throw about 20 or 30 of those off a bridge. Drive dwonstream, put your boat in, and wait for the jugs. You were having a bad day if you didn't get several 1-5 pounders and at least 1 10 pounder.

I've seen pictures of some pretty big catfish and bought catfish steaks locally that would fill a 12" frying pan, but I never caught the really big ones.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

All I remember was seeing a story a couple of years ago about "flying carp" in the Illinois river, indicating it was a totally different fish than the carp you and I used to catch down in the old "fishing hole".

Now this fish in Iowa shot with a bow and arrow, which tells me it was probably in the shallow back waters and that Iowa considers it a predator fish.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Andrew will be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress. . . . . had a good laugh though.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Jun 28, 4:29=A0am, Morris Dovey wrote: [schnipferized for brevity]

When I still lived in the fine city of Toronto, an old Italian down the street from me would go looking for carp. He'd then rub them in spices and garlic and put them in the smoker. That was some incredible tasty stuff. A bit greasy and coarse. I don't think I'd be willing to try that with a carp from one of the Amsterdam canals, they'd be rubbery...(nudge, nudge, get it, rubbery, condoms...never mind..)

I was raised on the banks of the old river Rhine (not the diverted- through-Rotterdam one) and there were lots of carp in it. Sometimes local 'fishermen' would go to the local abattoir and get a horse's head, tie a rope through its eye-sockets and toss the thing in the river. Then they'd come back, weeks later, and haul it out of the water, along with a dozen eels which would have taken up residence in the now-hollow skull. They'd smoke them and eat them. Not Robbie though, never had the stomach for that. I did like the small, farm-bred eel, mostly fed on vegetative matter. Those were full of yumminess. Smoked of course. The local fish market would have daily specials on carp.... yea, yea...Carp Diem...

Do you know the difference between

Reply to
Robatoy

In college I used to help an old Czech sausage maker in Snook, Texas unload his pickup after fishing trips on the Brazos. He used gill nets to catch buffalo carp, and it only took a couple of them to fill up the bed of a '54 Ford pickup. His specialty was smoked carp. Tasty!

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Copied from local paper.

Anywhere near you Morris?

Lew =================================== Record Breaking 79-pound Carp Pulled from Cedar River By Becky Ogann

Story Created: Jun 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM CDT

Story Updated: Jun 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM CDT LINN COUNTY - Tracy Seaton, 47, of Shellsburg, Iowa pulled in a 79 pound 4 ounce Bighead Carp from the banks of the Cedar River in Cedar Rapids Thursday evening.

Iowa DNR Officer Paul Sleeper verified the fish is a new state record beating out the previous weight of a 76 pound carp caught last year.

Seaton used the bow and arrow fishing technique to catch the fish.

The Bighead carp is an exotic fish from Asia and is considered an invasive species in Iowa. =====================================

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Cedar Rapids / Linn County is about an hour and a quarter away via I-80 and I-380 - probably 90 miles or so east and slightly north.

The Cedar River empties into the Iowa River down by Fredonia, and the Iowa River empties into the Mississippi about 20 miles southeast of there (south and a bit west from the Quad Cities of Bettendorf, Davenport, Moline, and Rock Island).

Not "right close", but still too near for comfort.

Wondering how difficult it'd be to turn 'em into stinkless tractor fuel, hog feed, and corn/bean fertilizer. There oughta be a silver lining somewhere in that cloud....

Reply to
Morris Dovey

In a refining process like that, most unionized workers would be working for scale.

Reply to
Robatoy

Are you trying to be finny?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I think there's something fishy about what you're implying.

Reply to
Robatoy

He's just trying to reel you in.

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't you mean scale(s)?

Reply to
Upscale

I grew up fishing for carp in the Allegheny, Mon and Ohio rivers. Carp have no teeth, and are bottom feeders. Hard to figure how they could be considered predators? Our rivers are loaded with Bass, Pike, Catfish, and a bunch of other game fish, including some Musky and Carp probably is what they all live on. Not sure why anyone would want to dynamite the damned things, they are great fun to catch.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Nahh! I'm just trolling for the truth.

Reply to