O.T.

Has anyone here found a gate latch that works where frost heave is a problem? Every Spring I have to move it to align with the lock assembly.
Sal
On 3/28/12 9:26 PM, sal wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pG817&cat=3,41399,48019
--
Froz...

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:31:10 -0400, FrozenNorth

Lee Valley's gate latch allows the latching mechanism to move up or down to align with the fixed bar. Stanley, Ace and Crown make cheaper latches that allow the bar to pivot while the laching mechanis is fixed in position. See:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/max-latch-black-adjustable-gate-latch/935840 (Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202042260/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053&langId=-1&keyword=gate+latch&storeId051
"sal" wrote:

----------------------------- Sink the post below the frost line.
Lew

wheel on the gate.. As long as there is some kind of solid surface under it, it does the trick for many years. Casters I installed ten years ago are still doing just fine.
Just look up gate casters on the web. they are available many places. The last two, I got from Ace Hardware. You may need to add a little something to make the caster solid on the gate. I add wood and use big bolts.

Reset the two posts in cement with cement in between them, with or without slabs or pavers. Set deeply, it will minimize or eliminate the heave. If it does heave anyway, it may heave uniformly. For even more stability, run those posts long and connect them at the top, too. Use a sign like "Sal's Side Yard" or something equally flowery.
Or move the heck out of the Great White North, eh, hoser? ;)
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
I would sure like to move down South out of the Freeser but there are no jobs , up here unemployment is from 2%-4% . Thanks for the info folks.
Sal

sal wrote:

Alaska? It sure isn't NE United States if you have 3%.
--

Michael Joel

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,

Which begs the question, what areas of employment are so prevalent in those areas?
Hell, it's frequently cold up here in Canada, we should have a lower unemployment then. Snowmaking? Icemaking? Summer air conditioning?

Probably no need for that definition if it's a location like Alberta. Every person in Canada has heard and read about the employment boom in that province. They've probably also read about the increase in the accompanying cost of living too.

I'd have figured that many/most Americans had a passing familiarity with it considering all the hoopla about the proposed pipeline from Alberta to Texas for oil refinement.