'nuther electrical query redux

Folks -
Okay, Uncle! From all those responses you'd think I was giving away a free night with Paris Hilton, a NOS 1939 Unisaur, 500 BF of the wood of your choice, and any three of Steve Knight's planes... But I digress...
Thank you for all of your responses, even the homicidal ones... I *am* a layman, and if my terminology was unclear, I apologise. What I had intended to do, was to have a single run of 12/3 feed two 20a circuits, so that I would only have to wrassle with one string of romex. I wanted to have two, two plug units in a duplex box, each plug unit being on a separate circuit, sharing a neutral and ground. Using ASCII, this is kinda what I was after...
C1 C2
I I I I \ n / \ n / / n \ / n \ I I I I
But, I also want to have things protected by GFCI... So, I'll take the long way and play it safe... I've taken the 12/3 back in exchange for 12/2 and will have completely separate wire runs...
I am sure I'll have more questions. Who do you want next to go with an old Parks 36" bandsaw, Halle Berry?
Let me know...
John
John Moorhead wrote:

You can keep the gurl but please post a picture the band saw.
UA100
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 04:52:45 GMT, "John Moorhead"

Use 12/2 w ground.

free
I wouldn't take that even if you gave it away. You just happened to pick the oldest, most controversial, most disputed topic of the wreck - electricity. It doesn't behave logically, is invisible, and everyone has to have it. So we make up incantations and have fights about it.
Have fun!
Bob
"John Moorhead" wrote in message

free
No thanks ... but a good example of overdoing split receptacles.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"John Moorhead" wrote in message

Paris Hilton, John ... not you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

John -- Might he have been referring to Paris Hilton (your reference) as "a good example of overdoing split receptacles"? -- Igor

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

the
other,
A split circuit duplex receptacle is a common configuration in kitchens. You generally see them where one side is also switched for a dishwasher or garbage disposal. Practically speaking, and despite what you say above, I am not so sure why you would want to do this in your shop as separately wired circuits are much easier to handle DIYwise, not to mention that you may find required, and _easy_ ,GFCI protection, which appears to be one of your requirements, to be more expensive than the extra wire for separate circuits.
However, and in lieu of all the advice (and condescending BS) floating around here, and for some additional GFCI information, have a thorough read of "ernies" discussion at the following:
http://www.handymanwire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number 8113&page=6&view=collapsed&sb&o=&fpart=1
Although I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, it appears to be a pretty good, and calm, take on subject and will hopefully clear up some of your questions.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

read
Damn - I'm not the only one who got a little reactive this morning.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

If you're referring to "condescending BS" .. not "reactive", just "reality". It is, and always has been, an apparent necessary component of every electrical discussion from the get go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04