Nut bowl ideas...

Not plans, just ideas. I'm wondering what, if anything, Wreckers have personally done in the way of making a nut bowl. (Personally, preferably, as opposed to random web sites showcasing things no one here has ever actually made.)
I'm a long way from being able to turn a bowl, and I don't even have the use of my lathe yet, so I'm thinking in other directions.
I want something with holes in it for the cracker and picks, obviously, and something to hold nuts.
Pretty, preferably, and it of course _has_ to be made out of walnut. Duh. :)
I'd like to come up with something pretty quick like, before I eat all the nuts. :)
(That's why I gain weight this time of year. I can't stay away from those damn nuts!)
I'm thinking of a board with a big hole in it, with a regular plastic/glass ceramic bowl in the hole, and some kind of little raised doohickey with holes to receive the cracker.
I'm also thinking that's pretty lame, and surely someone can come up with a better idea somewhere between this and turning something on a lathe.

Nah, it is easier to just buy a cup for my jock strap. Ed
You are a BAD man.... now I have that picture in my head instead of a nice bowl for pecans, walnuts, etc...Damn.
wrote in message

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, but I wouldn't eat any nuts that came out of a jock strap...

Does your girlfriend feel the same way?
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Unfortunately, yes.
Silvan wrote:

If you can live with flat surfaces, like wings rather than holes, or drill them if you have to, a winged, square bowl works nicely. I can post one to ABPW if you want. I love walnut. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Shoot it to my email if you would, I don't get ABPW.
Square is interesting. I never thought about square. Why does it need to be round at all? I could just build a nut box.
Well, that's a long line of thought to ponder. Thanks for breaking me out of the box.
Silvan wrote:

You've got mail. Dave in fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Not unless you're trying to sell me penis enlargement pills. :)
Methinks I need to go check the lint trap. I don't know why it would have caught you though.
Silvan wrote:

I don't know about the lintrap, but you intercepted my shipment, give 'em back. I re-sent to both your addys, hopefully they'll go through. Do you have nut in the filter? That would do it, the trap I mean. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Got any wood-carving chisels?
If you don't have a chunk of 8/4 - 12/4 stock laying around, laminate together 2 or 3 pieces of 4/4.
Trace out a 'pleasing shape' -- maybe something 'leaf' like.
You can bandsaw the outside rough shape, then use a stationary belt/disk sander to remove the excess that is 'outside' the bowl.
Chisel/gouge out the material that doesn't belong on the 'inside'.
Make a 'tray' type piece that the bowl will sit on one side of. Gouge a _shallow_ recess at the -opposite- side, to _lay_ the nutcracker in.